• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

TIME TRAVEL

176 posts in this topic

When people get Deja Vu feelings, does it seem like the event occurred a few minutes, a week or years prior? Mine almost always feel like they happened about 1 or 2 weeks ago.

I once got Deja Vu in a mall, walking with certain friends in a neighboring town.

Since I know I hadn't been with those particular people in that particular mall in years,

I'm going to have to say my "Deja Vu" (that time) was years prior.

(Though I will concede that I could have dreamed the scenario the night before.)

I'm not sure if the scenario you described above is more of a preminition/dream than Deja Vu.

I'm sorry, I should explain what I mean. Let's say me and my ex-girlfriend went to a certain theater about 20 times between 2002 and 2004. If the next time we go there, my Deja Vu episode should have more information than us being there or sitting in the exact same seat to qualify. If I remembered a certain scene from the movie while I was with her, then that clinches it since I'd never seen that movie before. However, when I think back, it seems like this moment only occurred a few weeks ago, and not necessarily bewteen 2002 and 2004 when we were watching different movies while going through the same motions.

Ok, so any theories on traveling FORWARD in time??? confused-smiley-013.gif

My alien captures won't release my mind to think that far ahead. 27_laughing.gif

screwy.gif

That's o.k., if I'm the only subject of this vast experiment, then you don't really exist. insane.gif

Sorry, just having a little fun. flowerred.gif

Ok, so any theories on traveling FORWARD in time??? confused-smiley-013.gif

Well, that isn't as hard as going backward. Most theories I've heard of state moving at the speed of light would be the way to go. So if you had a vehicle that could do that and protect you, then you would just need to basically jump to light speed for what ever period you wanted to go. 1, 2, 10 years. This is one of the reasons travel by warp drive like in Star Trek is highly improbable. If they were to travel at say Warp 7, and 1 Warp = 1 lightyear, then where ever they traveled to they would be 7 years out of date. The whole universe would have aged those seven years. So yeah, they would be perpetually late for any emergency they may be rushing to. 27_laughing.gif.

they would be perpetually late for any emergency they may be rushing to. .

Wouldn't they be early?

Someone needs to invent FASTER LIGHT. Right after they invent my memory pills.

Nope. they would be late. Quick example: say the Klingons are attacking 10 light years away and the Enterprise has got to get there to save colonists. They zip over there at warp 10 (Warp = 1 lightyear) So it would still take them 10 years in real time to get to the colonists. The crew doesn't age, basically being outside of time, but everyone/everything else ages those 10 years. So the Enterprise would always be arriving late to the scene.

Wouldn't they be early?

Nope. they would be late. Quick example: say the Klingons are attacking 10 light years away and the Enterprise has got to get there to save colonists. They zip over there at warp 10 (Warp = 1 lightyear) So it would still take them 10 years in real time to get to the colonists. The crew doesn't age, basically being outside of time, but everyone/everything else ages those 10 years. So the Enterprise would always be arriving late to the scene.

1112754-khan.jpg

1112754-khan.jpg.3d8d85045c38601d3738679c04a5f048.jpg

Wouldn't they be early?

Is Warp a speed or distance? Is Warp 1 lightyear, or light speed? Reminds me of Han saying he did the Kessel Run in 12 parsecs. "I ran the race in 1 mile." If you mean to say that Warp is light speed, then travelling 10 times the speed of light should get you 10 lightyears distance in 1 year.

Wouldn't they be early?

Is Warp a speed or distance? Is Warp 1 lightyear, or light speed? Reminds me of Han saying he did the Kessel Run in 12 parsecs. "I ran the race in 1 mile." If you mean to say that Warp is light speed, then travelling 10 times the speed of light should get you 10 lightyears distance in 1 year.

Actually, parsecs is used incorrectly there. A parsec is a unit of distance, not time. Lucas couldn't do anything right. wink.gif

...could we hypothesize that time travel DOES exist in the future,

and that some future person has already visited the past and obtained

many copies of books like Action #1... and they may be selling them

slowly in the future (where they undoubtedly have more value than today)?

Much as I love comics, if I could travel in time I wouldn't be wasting my time with nickel and dime stuff like comics. I'd be going back to the late 19th century to snap up all the Monets, Manets, Van Goghs and other impressionist works and to the early 20th century for the Picassos. If I could go far back enough, maybe I'd swing through Italy and pick up some DaVincis and Michelangelos.

Much as I love comics, if I could travel in time I wouldn't be wasting my time with nickel and dime stuff like comics. I'd be going back to the late 19th century to snap up all the Monets, Manets, Van Goghs and other impressionist works and to the early 20th century for the Picassos. If I could go far back enough, maybe I'd swing through Italy and pick up some DaVincis and Michelangelos.

Oh, that'd be great, then we'd just have museums filled with modern 893censored-thumb.gif27_laughing.gif

When I'm in a scientific mood, I always wonder whether something terrible has happened to us 5 days from now, and to avoid that tragedy, our lives are looped back and our memories erased (except for that little glimmer).

I've thought about that (science fictiony, not logically). What if we were given a chance to go back in time to relive a part of our lives, to avoid a tragedy, or to take advantage of a great opportunity. Since we were returned to a point before the tragedy, we would have no memory of it. Would we make the same mistakes again? What if this very moment, you have just returned to a time before a huge mistake. Does it change the way you live?

This is actually a very interesting viewpoint. I have had many very strong deja vus withing the last few years. It seems as though I have gotten better at recognizing them and to the point of knowing what was going to be said or happen next. Some have been a lot longer than just a quick blip.

I have in fact purposely broke a cycle happening out of fear from the outcome. Last being in September 2004 on a canoe trip with my buddy. We met up with a group of guys and a couple girls. All seemed well and we ended up at another group of guys tent camp. That's when we soon realized the first group of guys were racist rednecks and with the latter group being a mixed race group, a volitile situation was in the air. All of the sudden I found myself in one of the strongest deja vus in my life. This kid, started slandering and with his actions and words, I completely knew everything before it came out. I also knew that one of the black guys from the tent camp was about to come up from around the back of his tent and was going to hear this kid (who thought he was being funny with racist remarks). My friend and I were absolutely uncomfortable and just wanted to get away from these and not be associated with them in the least. I knew what was about to happen and purposely interjected and broke the cycle of the deja vu. Needless to say it worked. The guy did come up from behind like I knew he was going to, but I stopped this kids slandering and altered the conversation before he did. My friend and I left and the girls chose to go with us. I also saw the other guys leave, so all ended without conflict.

Very strange but true story. Never really thought about it in the light of having a second chance, which now makes it even more interesting. 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

[embarrassing lack of self control] that. I'm going to the Inca Empire and getting Atahualpa's gold from Rumiñahui thumbsup2.gif

[embarrassing lack of self control] that. I'm going to the Inca Empire and getting Atahualpa's gold from Rumiñahui thumbsup2.gif

Your time machine better be pretty big if you're going to carry enough gold to be more valuable than all the paintings that I just mentioned! gossip.gif

Your time machine better be pretty big if you're going to carry enough gold to be more valuable than all the paintings that I just mentioned! gossip.gif

Conservative estimates are in the $25-50 billion range. The legendary room filled to the top with gold. Been never found. And if I have a time machine, I'm going FORWARD in time until I can get a portable black hole to put everything in first. 27_laughing.gif

Conservative estimates are in the $25-50 billion range. The legendary room filled to the top with gold. Been never found. And if I have a time machine, I'm going FORWARD in time until I can get a portable black hole to put everything in first. 27_laughing.gif

All the old school AD&D gamers know the Bag of Holding. Whoop-whoop!! headbang.gif

All the old school AD&D gamers know the Bag of Holding. Whoop-whoop!! headbang.gif

I'd go back to 1950 and make out with Marilyn Monroe devil.gif