• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Article On CGC Clone CGG In CBG……er….

40 posts in this topic

FWIW

Comic Grading Group grades publicly

By Nathan Melby

The second third-party grading company, Comic Grading Group, has begun to grade comics for general consumers.

CGG Primary Grader Daniel Patterson spoke with CBG about how the company started, its plans for the future, and other things. Patterson said he had met his partners in grading, Jeff Prechtel and Derrick Jackson, while attending conventions and talking to dealers about starting such a service.

They decided to start CGG in August 2002, and news of the service appeared in CBG #1538. The company has been grading and encasing comics since the start of 2003 and displays positive feedback on its website.

“We have been grading comic books since the first of the year,” Patterson told CBG. “Going through conventions and talking to people, a lot of people offered some comics of theirs to grade to get a feel for us. We went ahead and started grading books for a select few people. We asked them to not sell the books or let people know we are out there. That way, we got feedback and could make changes before we went public.”

Patterson said his company’s holder had been exclusively designed for them but did not supply information on the manufacturer. When similarities to the holder supplied by third-party grading service Comics Guaranty LLC (CGC) were pointed out, Patterson replied about CGG’s product, “It is a fairly generic holder. There are not really a lot of things we felt we could do that would improve the holder.”

The first eBay auction of a CGG-graded comic book revealed that the comic book is held in a stiff plastic well and that plastic outer holders are optional.

For now, CGG is only grading Silver Age and Modern comics, but Patterson said that, while plans are for the company to grade Golden Age comics eventually, it will probably not begin to grade magazines in the first two years, if at all.

He added, “We have the ability to grade Golden Age comics, but we are holding off, because we really want to concentrate on making sure we have everything together. There is a lot more controversy when grading Golden Age comic books, and I don’t think that is really a big part of the market right now. The type of defects and severity when grading a Golden Age compared to a Silver Age comic book are different, and then people start to accuse graders of letting Golden Age books get away with having more defects.”

Patterson said that he and the two other graders have the ability to slab about 2,000 comics a month. Their facility consists of a 3,000 square-foot-house that has been converted, including a new security system, into office space. He said that the company is fully insured and that all comics submitted to CGG are kept in a safe to ensure their protection.

He added that the company plans to hire a professional designer to redesign its website. “We thought we could design a real simple website and get all the information out there, but it has not gone over well. We decided we needed a more professional-looking, better put-together website that everybody can access without having problems.”

On May 1, the first CGG-graded comic book to sell on eBay was an issue of The Elektra Saga #1 (Feb 84) graded 9.4 (NM). It sold for $13.51 following two bids; another seller in the same period who advertised The Elektra Saga #1-4 graded by the seller as VF/NM received a final bid of $3.50 for the lot.

By press time, there were no other CGG-graded comics on eBay.

Thanks OG....your thread has peaked my interest... 893whatthe.gif

Woop! Woop! All right, pull that post over. I'm radioing (is that a word?) the grammar police as we spique.

the both of you can just BITE ME grin.gif

Thanks OG....your thread has peaked my interest... 893whatthe.gif

Woop! Woop! All right, pull that post over. I'm radioing (is that a word?) the grammar police as we spique.

the both of you can just BITE ME grin.gif

Consider yourself bited. Say, does anyone else remember that episode of the Smurfs where they all got some strange Smurf disease and they ran around biting each other on the "tail"? (In reality it was no tail at all but rather the stump left behind from their third-arm removal surgery... purely cosmetic reasons. Who wants an arm growing out of their [!@#%^&^] ?) That episode really creeped me out. Remember? They turned red (I think) and made that weird noise and they would jump out of bushes and bite each other "back there"?

Man, those Smurfs were tackling all the important social issues.

Actually there is another up on ebay for sale. A SILVER SURFER #1 Vol. 2 graded 8.0 .

The article was published this week, probably written over a week ago.

Yes I loved that episode. Way ahead of it's time - it was an influential precursor to novels and movies like Virus, Outbreak or the Living Dead series. It seems to be an anachronistic premonition to today's SARS situation. It was all because of that purple BUG and the whole Smurf Population suffered that psychotic disease. I forgot how the cure was developed? Socially relevant, I would definitely agree. SMURFS RULE!

I don't remember how the cure was developed either... I was, no doubt, too mortified to watch and actually pay attention. Damn traumatic cartoons.

Say, speaking of the Living Dead series, does anyone know why they were only available on DVD for such a limited time?!?? Are they coming back?!?! 893offtopic1.gifcrazy.gifgrin.gif

I don't remember how the cure was developed either... I was, no doubt, too mortified to watch and actually pay attention. Damn traumatic cartoons.

Say, speaking of the Living Dead series, does anyone know why they were only available on DVD for such a limited time?!?? Are they coming back?!?! 893offtopic1.gifcrazy.gifgrin.gif

I have the 30TH ANIVERSARRY EDITION on DVD.

Thet added scenes to the movie.

They gave it a marvel retcon

teh added scenes to the movie.

I'm assuming you mean the "Night" anniversary edition? And a ret-con?!?!?! Are you kidding?!?!?! 893frustrated.gif

The kicker is that you can find Night just about anywhere, it's Day and Dawn that I want!!! flamed.gif

They added scenes to the movie.

I'm assuming you mean the "Night" anniversary edition? And a ret-con?!?!?! Are you kidding?!?!?! 893frustrated.gif

The kicker is that you can find Night just about anywhere, it's Day and Dawn that I want!!! flamed.gif

Yeah i was talking about Night

I kid you not. They added Scenes with a mad priest infected witht he Zombie Virus.

Ive seen Day and Dawn around soemwhere I think.

they probably didnt make as many. the classic issue 2 order drop off.

Current estimate on what it would take for greggy and I to replicate everything CGG has done...

$1143.00

That's an increase of $143 over my last estimate, now that I hear they have a new security system installed in their house (first month with Sonitrol runs $44) and that they are storing the comics in a safe ($99 at OfficeMax)...

One of my local customers was telling me how happy he was that CGG was around because "CGC needed some competition". I told him I agreed, and that Bank of America needed some competition too. I then asked him if he'd like to open a checking account with the newly-formed Bank of Lighthouse. I showed him my pretty stationery I printed out with my HP Deskjet 825c and a mock-up of my website where I changed the word "America" to "Lighthouse." For some reason he didn't think that was very funny...

'House is a communist!!! He's anti-capitalism! Get a rope! String him up!

(We'll divvy up his store later.)

Oh, and 'House? Go ahead and disregard this post. Heh. Just a little "joke." Heh. Seriously. Nothing to see here. shy.gif