• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Greg's Quest for the Detective Run

104 posts in this topic

Its quite a feat collecting even a partial run of Detectives in high grade! I am also a long time Detective collector but it sure is expensive trying to get them in at least VF condition! Some issues like Detective #230 are very tough to find! I just bagged a Detective #187 and #191, which are two of the issues which Michelle Nolan noted in her great CBM #49 article as being two of the more difficult issues to find especially in decent shape! Thats really some Detective collection you have there Greg, how long have you been putting it together? Can't wait to see your books! Good luck with your quest!

Hi EJR,

I have been collecting since I was 12, started with Spiderman, Daredevil, Batman, and Detective. I later focused on Batman, but always snagged Detectives as I found them. I finished the Batman run about 3.5 years ago. I tried to decide what to go for and settled on Detective. I still need just over 200 more issues to finish the run and as you said, the ones from ~150 to 250 are pretty tough. I think it should make for an interesting quest over the next five to ten years. Once I get my scanner back up and running, I will post stuff.

Greg

Greg, completing a run of Marvels is alot easier than completing a run of a major title like Batman. I completed my runs of Amazing Spiderman and Fantastic Four years ago but then again comics were alot cheaper. With the advent of CGC getting a long run like Detective in high grade is prohibitive unless you are made out of money! What condition do you collect? Do you own any pedigrees or other high grade copies or are you just happy to find a copy in decent shape that isn't on its last legs?

It took me 15 years of actively searching for a Detective #187 to finally find a copy. My copy is a fine and I might have seen two or three others at shows or on the internet but they were all really very low grade. I also had a difficult time finding a copy of Detective #156, I passed on the Church copy a few years ago because of all the chipping on the back cover. The copy that I managed to buy was a CGC 6.5 and I was just happy to get it! I would have bought the Church copy if I had known how tough it is to get a Detective #156 in decent shape.

Collecting Batman and Detective Comics have been one of my greatest passiions ever since I began collecting comics in mid 1985. While I do like the Golden Age, I've found that most of the issues have been beyond my budget. My collection consists of Silver to Modern Age books. I'm hoping to complete all the Silver Age runs of Batman and Detective within the next couple of years. I'm impressed that you guys are able to find complete runs(or close to it) on any Golden Age title. Good Luck Greg!

I am trying to stay 4.5 or higher. My sweet spot is 6.0 and that is sort of where I want to keep the average. I don't have any Pedigrees anymore (owned the Twilight 44 briefly but hated the tanning).

I make pretty decent money, but I live in Silicon Valley, have a wife (man is that expensive!) and a three year old getting ready to start private school next year. All that said, I am on a budget so slow and steady.

I've seen a few copies (Det 187) over the years, but all of them pretty low grade so I have been passing so far. I picked up a nice copy of 156 which is one of my favorite covers about 10 years ago which I still have. Same for my 73 which is super clean (another one I wanted that I never saw till I found this one and now they are coming out the wood work). Personally, I think Detective has better covers than Batman. 153 has also been one of my favorites. I found my copy about 15 years ago at a Mall Baseball card show for $40. I really regrt not getting the Detective 167 8.0 off CLINK a while back foreheadslap.gif

batman I know is not particularly hard- but aren't those early pre-batman Tec's hard in any grade?

yeah, youre right about that. I was figuring just going from 27 up, not the pre-Batman issues. And the first 10 are kinda hard, and expensive..