• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Greg's Quest for the Detective Run

104 posts in this topic

Greg, the Detective #167 CGC 8.0 was offered on Ebay but asking price was about $50 overguide so I passed and the book did not sell. My friend has the Church copy and its a beauty! I am single but live here in California where the cost of living is sky high! It's tough finding books which have decent page quality especially from the 1930s and from the 1950's. I would rather have a VG with white pages than a VF with tan pages. It is hard to find the early pre-Batman Detectives and when they pop up they often have cream to ow or lesser page quality. You really have to have deep pockets and luck to complete the Detective run! Look at Nic Cage and even with all his money he had to settle for restored copies and a few lower grade copies when he was putting together his incredible Adventure comics run!

Collecting DETECTIVE's is gonna be expecsive. Its probably "the most" expensive to put together. But its not imposible. I done it. That and Batman are both my favorites. I didn't find any other series a challenge until I started trying to fine TREASURE CHEST in HG. I think TC's are the absolute hardest to find in HG. But TC's are not my favorite. Batman and DET are. If you can settle for lower grades then any of the series can be completed with little trouble. Except there are the ones that are expensive cause of thier rarity.

Wish you the best in your quest!! thumbsup2.gif Sparkle city , years ago helped a collector complete there collection & if I remember right it was a higher number in the run that was the most difficult.It might even be the issue Zillatoy was talking about. But ,boy , those early issues are expensive even in low grade!! Stay focused!! smile.gif

Wish you the best in your quest!! thumbsup2.gif Sparkle city , years ago helped a collector complete there collection & if I remember right it was a higher number in the run that was the most difficult.It might even be the issue Zillatoy was talking about. But ,boy , those early issues are expensive even in low grade!! Stay focused!! smile.gif

It was #187. CBG did an article about it at the time. That's what made me want to track down a copy.

I remember that article in CBM ,couldn't remember the number though. Thanks ,Jeff. What a great Mag that was in the early days . I know , I miss it dearly, Oh well, I still have those back issues to always enjoy.

Nearmint, I live in Torrance, about 15 miles south of Los Angeles. I have spent the last 25 years going to the Shrine Comic Book Show in LA but you hardly ever see any good books over there unless Harley Yee does the show. But alot of the thrill of comic book collecting is the thrill of the hunt and I was really happy to finally find a decent copy of Detective #187! Its got a neat Two Face cover and I love all the Two Face covers in Detective and Batman. Too bad the page quality is so poor for the Bat books from the mid to latter 50's. Look at the Mohawk Valley books, structurally high grade with cream to ow or less page quality, I will never buy one of those even though some are the highest CGC graded books.

It was #187. CBG did an article about it at the time. That's what made me want to track down a copy.

Only 5 slabbed copies to date, the highest being 7.5. Here is my midgrade copy. File0210.jpg[/img]

Hey Bathound,

I will forward my home address so you can ship the 187 to me. flowerred.gif

Greg, there is a Detective #187 on ebay right now but a couple of chunks are missing from the front cover!

Yeah, that's my copy. The book is a rag, but at least it's complete. confused-smiley-013.gif

Nearmint, I live in Torrance, about 15 miles south of Los Angeles. I have spent the last 25 years going to the Shrine Comic Book Show in LA but you hardly ever see any good books over there unless Harley Yee does the show. But alot of the thrill of comic book collecting is the thrill of the hunt and I was really happy to finally find a decent copy of Detective #187! Its got a neat Two Face cover and I love all the Two Face covers in Detective and Batman. Too bad the page quality is so poor for the Bat books from the mid to latter 50's. Look at the Mohawk Valley books, structurally high grade with cream to ow or less page quality, I will never buy one of those even though some are the highest CGC graded books.

EJR, I'm in Newport Beach, not far from you at all. In fact, I just got home from a meeting in Culver City. We should grab lunch and talk comics sometime.

Nearmint, sounds like a good idea! Are you going to the Wizard Comic Con at the Los Angeles Convention Center on the weekend of March 19? Do you ever go to the Shrine Comic Book Show in LA?