• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

TOP 10 Worst Things To Happen In The History Of Comics

176 posts in this topic

sign-rantpost.gif Well, if we want to take the personal viewpoint, here's my own Top 10:

1. Infantino cancels Green Lantern / Green Arrow.

2. Wrightson stops drawing Swamp Thing

3. Archie Goodwin stops editing Detective, and kills Manhunter in the process.

4. Kaluta stops drawing The Shadow

5. Adams stops drawing the Batman

6. Englehart and Rogers stop doing Detective Comics.

7. Infantino cancels Kirby's New Gods.

8. Julie Schwartz picks Englehart's successor on JLA to be... Gerry Conway

9. Wally Wood stops drawing the JSA revival in All-Star Comics

10. Dave Cockrum leaves the Legion of Super-Heroes strip in favor of some second-rate cancelled Marvel book that had been an all-reprint title in its most recent incarnation.

...but maybe I'll get over it after another 30 years. 893crossfingers-thumb.gif

I have no idea of the how's or why's. But how are comics distrbuted today, compared to yesteryear?

Anybody "in the know "explain this?

Reason I ask is a small LCS had to close it's doors recently because he was tired of playing f games with "Diamond Dstrubuters?"(is that name right?) Or others

Do they force owners to swallow the entire lot of each weeks books without letting the owner pick and choose what titles they want to buy, pay for?

I got the feeling he was forced to swallow alot of stuff he did not want , if he wanted to keep his account.

If true, that is terrible, and is part of what is wrong with comics today.

So I guess that falls into the already mentioned greed catagory.

Ze-

sign-rantpost.gif Well, if we want to take the personal viewpoint, here's my own Top 10:

10. Dave Cockrum leaves the Legion of Super-Heroes strip in favor of some second-rate cancelled Marvel book that had been an all-reprint title in its most recent incarnation.

Wouldn't these be the 10 worst things to happen in DC's history? grin.gif

Do they force owners to swallow

I got the feeling he was forced to swallow alot of stuff he did not want

Are you SURE you're talking about a COMICS store? Seems to me like might have been into some weird stuff.

Wouldn't these be the 10 worst things to happen in DC's history? grin.gif

Given the 12-year-old Zonker's tunnel-vision, there was no difference... confused-smiley-013.gif

I have no idea of the how's or why's. But how are comics distrbuted today, compared to yesteryear?

Reason I ask is a small LCS had to close it's doors recently because he was tired of playing f games with "Diamond Dstrubuters?"(is that name right?) Or others

Do they force owners to swallow the entire lot of each weeks books without letting the owner pick and choose what titles they want to buy, pay for?

I got the feeling he was forced to swallow alot of stuff he did not want , if he wanted to keep his account.

Ze-

It's a big, big topic. Some of the points are touched upon in this thread in the Modern section.

Every month or so, Brian Hibbs has an online column at newsarama.com "Tilting at Windmills" Try a search on these forums under "hibbs" or "windmill" to get links to those columns.

Ze-

It's a big, big topic. Some of the points are touched upon in this thread in the Modern section.

Every month or so, Brian Hibbs has an online column at newsarama.com "Tilting at Windmills" Try a search on these forums under "hibbs" or "windmill" to get links to those columns.

It's worth taking a look at the Alter Ego articles on Newsarama as well, to get a look at what it is like for a new store to get orders through Diamond.

Geppi is the anti-Christ... devil.gifsumo.gif

Do they force owners to swallow

I got the feeling he was forced to swallow alot of stuff he did not want

Are you SURE you're talking about a COMICS store? Seems to me like might have been into some weird stuff.

It seems he's thinks he's still in the

Colossus Bi thread....

893scratchchin-thumb.gif

One other thing that I can add to the list is the Art.

Somehow during the rise of the Mcfarlane's and Leifeld's the art became so over detailed that it is nearly impossible to identify what is going on in each and every frame.

Small scratchy little lines all over the place and all of it is the exact same line weight!

HelloooOOOOO...you guys need to vary line weight so the renderings are easy to look at. It is a comic book for gosh sake.

Artboy99

thumbsup2.gif

let's see here...

1.John Romita Jr continues to draw

2.Todd Mcfarlane stopped drawing

3.Rob Liefeld

4.Paper quality went up,as so did the price of the books $2.99 for a new comic anyone?

5.The Comic Authority Code

6.Special covers

7.Hearing Neal Adams talk about the universe instead of comics

8.Alan Moore leaving mainstream comics.

9.Small press really means small press

10.Wizard Boston begin canceled