• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

What is a hand colored cover proof?

7 posts in this topic

Are these worth buying and are they one of a kind. Thanks.

They are usually one of a kind.

Buy what you like. At the right price, I like them.

1117912-PrizeWest88colorgd.jpg

1117912-PrizeWest88colorgd.jpg.7f90ee9d534c264aa7dec613a124655f.jpg

Board member Mushroom is quite a fan of these too, so can probably provide you with info about them.

He sure could, although I have a feeling we may not see him around for a while. 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

Board member Mushroom is quite a fan of these too, so can probably provide you with info about them.

He sure could, although I have a feeling we may not see him around for a while. 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

Did he do another big exit? Surely not that silly argument he was having with Shield? If either of them would have just shut up the whole thing would have been done and forgotten. There's a weird need that even the good members have on these boards to get the last word in.

Did he do another big exit? Surely not that silly argument he was having with Shield? If either of them would have just shut up the whole thing would have been done and forgotten. There's a weird need that even the good members have on these boards to get the last word in.

He didn't make a big exit, but I haven't seen him on the boards since Shield did the whole "you go or I go" thing. confused-smiley-013.gif

They are one of a kind.

But, no, they're not worth buying. Don't invest in these. You can never get rid of them if you ever decide you've wasted your money.

Seriously.

I listened to a dealer about seven years ago and he talked me into buying several of the Rocketeer color guides, which were hand-colored by Dave Stevens, himself. I paid $50 each for those without Betty Page and $75 for those with Betty Page.

Were they worth it? No way. It was a big letdown when they arrived. A BIG letdown.

I think the hand-colored cover proofs are way too expensive. I've seen one company selling these for upwards of $149.99 on eBay.

See, they're not really original art. They're photocopies of original art that are hand-colored. Now, if you're a big fan of a certain colorist, then, by all means, buy all you can find.

I don't know of many people who are fans of colorists, though.

I've got a few color guides, bought during the early days of my original art habit. I thought it'd be cool to own a piece of history. But, when I look at them now all I see is the cash that could have been spent on a real piece of art. Ah, we live and learn... to me, color guides are constant reminders that I was stupid for listening to those dealers who promised me I was getting a real bargain, that color guides were going to be the wave of the future and I was getting in on the ground floor of the next big thing...