• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

PGM HOS 226, 227...

41 posts in this topic

The commentary is more valuable . . . poke2.gif

Can't agree with that...

Both Sweet 9.0's btw . . .

Can agree with that. Exactly where I had them both. thumbsup2.gif

Just giving grades tells no one anything . . . just like when you provide us condition details, it allows us to be more accurate flowerred.gif

I totally agree on the condition details. I ofter peruse the posts in this forum and have no clue how some people arrived at their grades.

I know you know grin.gif

what would you grade the 226? That tear hurts the technical grade a lot! Your right 7.5 might be overboard on that one! What do you think 8.5? It definitely has the appeal of a NM gem but 9.0 or better seems a little high on a book with such a defect!

Well, it's an easy 9.4 without the tear. I think 2 grade steps, maybe 3 at the most, is how much it should be knocked for the split. I just can't give an otherwise perfect book a VF because of one smallish defect that doesn't detract from the eye appeal in any way.

A better descriptive might be "clean 1/2" tear" 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

Why "clean"? Are there dirty tears? confused.gif

Not dirty, but ugly, messy, rough, traumatic, etc. makepoint.gif

Perhaps unobtrusive is the most appropriate word. 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

what would you grade the 226? That tear hurts the technical grade a lot! Your right 7.5 might be overboard on that one! What do you think 8.5? It definitely has the appeal of a NM gem but 9.0 or better seems a little high on a book with such a defect!

Well, it's an easy 9.4 without the tear. I think 2 grade steps, maybe 3 at the most, is how much it should be knocked for the split. I just can't give an otherwise perfect book a VF because of one smallish defect that doesn't detract from the eye appeal in any way.

all right i can live with 8.5 on that one but the inportant thing is it presents itself as a NM which makes it more desirable despite the technical grade! i will change my scores to 8.5 on both! I would like you to sell the 226 to me at a 7.5 price though! 27_laughing.gif

all right i can live with 8.5 on that one but the inportant thing is it presents itself as a NM which makes it more desirable despite the technical grade! i will change my scores to 8.5 on both! I would like you to sell the 226 to me at a 7.5 price though! 27_laughing.gif

No can do buddy! These aren't going anywhere! yay.gif

Books that otherwise would grade very high, i.e. 9.4 or better, usually(this being the key word here) will get hammered from CGC with tears.

Not to be a pessimist, but I think the one with the tear will not grade any higher than an 8.5 frown.gif

I like that too, but you'll lose a few buyers with such fancy-schmancy words . . . 27_laughing.gif

Books that otherwise would grade very high, i.e. 9.4 or better, usually(this being the key word here) will get hammered from CGC with tears.

Not to be a pessimist, but I think the one with the tear will not grade any higher than an 8.5 frown.gif

I have yet to figure out their system for squarebounds. I would agree with you about the tear on normal books, but some of the slabbed squarebounds I have seen (and owned) have gotten bumps that are bornerline obscene.

I like that too, but you'll lose a few buyers with such fancy-schmancy words . . . 27_laughing.gif

I cater to the high-brow crowd. tongue.gif

Tear forced the 226 down to 7.5 at best....otherwise it looks like a 9.0....

8.5 for the 227....LRFC keeps it out of 9.0 IMO...

Not going to sell these now. Wouldn't want to list them as 9.0s and have them returned due to overgrading. wink.gif

The few books I have seen that were NM/NM+ but with a tear/major defect were all taken down to 8.5 VF+. I think that both books may qualify for that designation. Both excellent keepers.

Dan

That's why I re-graded the first one. The few I have taken to CGC got downgraded because of those defects.