• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Working on Your Early GA Batman/Detective Runs? CGC 7.0-9.2

27 posts in this topic

here's a toast of HG restored books from the local T.O. dealer, Paradise. i've personally seen the Batman 1 and Detec 33

Batman 1 - 7.5

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=68&item=2173504567

Batman 3 - 9.0 - First Catwoman in Costume

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=68&item=2173505223

Detective 33 - 9.2 - First Batman Origin

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=35751&item=2173929710

Detective 38 - 7.0 - First Robin

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=35751&item=2173931060

wish i had some serious cash flow right now...

Why would you want to lay down serious cash for Purple Label books like this?

Because he wants them? makepoint.gif

Sure, but this is a BIG FORUM POST, so I honestly expected something a bit more impressive.

... or should I post every book I'm bidding on? 893frustrated.gif

... or should I post every book I'm bidding on? 893frustrated.gif

You're not bidding on anything cool so no. Lighten up man. You post as much [!@#%^&^] on these boards as anyone so give it a rest. If you don't like what he posted then don't check back on the thread. End of problem.

Why would you want to lay down serious cash for Purple Label books like this?

Why do you have to inflict your values onto everyone as if they are accountable for not adhering to your values? There are many ways to ask the same question. You always tend towards the nose in the air approach. Not sure why.

My question is "How is a book (Batman #3) have only slight restoration when the cover has been reglossed"?

The way I look at it, the reglossing has been added to the entire front cover of the book.

893scratchchin-thumb.gif

And while I can see many peoples point about the books being restored, it seems to me the people who really dislike the idea of restored books are those that:

1) Only collect Ultra-High Grade Books and/or

2) Only buy more recent books (i.e. not Golden Age) that are readily available in high grade.

For those people who actually collect runs of Golden Age books, sometimes a restored copy is the only one they can find (or afford).

I don't understand this bias people have against restored books. I can name several historic landmarks in the world that have been 75%+ restored through modern materials, structural reinforcement, or complete overhaul. Does this lessen their value? While comics may not be the same thing they are still certainly objects of antiquity. Replacing a ragged book with some "pieces" that make it look like the original isn't detracting significantly. I'd say any restoration below 30% of a book still makes it a great collectable. Does anyone know how restoration effects guide value for actual rare (non comic) books? Maybe the same rule should apply for comics as well.

My question is "How is a book (Batman #3) have only slight restoration when the cover has been reglossed"?

I tend to agree with this. Regloss is certainly adding foreign material to the entire surface of the cover(s). It should be in the Moderate range, IMO.

Extensive restoration? Yuck! Label says "pieces added." Might as well make your own cover and add it to a coverless book.

This is actually a variant of "buying the label and not the book". I assume that, in CGC parlance, "Pieces added" could be anything from 2 1/4" chips to large pieces out of the front/back covers.

Does CGC go into this much detail on a condition report? Will they say the size of the damage, how many pieces replaced, etc? If anyone knows the answer would be apprecaitive.

Does CGC go into this much detail on a condition report? Will they say the size of the damage, how many pieces replaced, etc? If anyone knows the answer would be apprecaitive.

Perhaps you could post that in the "Ask CGC" forum.... 27_laughing.gif27_laughing.gif27_laughing.gif

pov...What does "gloss" consist of???

It can be many things. It is bad because it is ireversible and can damage the book. People have used lacquers, varnishes, Krylon spray etc etc. Horrid stuff that can yellow, drip when not applied properly, contribute to brittleness etc. I'm not sure what the modern day "gloss" is but it is a sham nonetheless and I really don;t like it. (hmmm - more it should be under Heavy resoration?) '

The glossiness of paper comes from a couple of things: the amount of "calendering" paper has gone through (basically a process that can smooth out the surface and bring out a sheen) and the "hardness" of the paper - in paper manufacture, clay minerals (mainly kaolinite) are in the mix and make for a paper that can take a very smooth glossy finish. One way to think of it is stones. A soft stone like Calcite (Mohs 3) will never take a brilliant polish the way the much harder star ruby (Mohs 9) will.

Now some paper come through with a gloss added in manufacture, and some of the real slick modern books may be of such ilk. But overall, calendering and clay minerals are what is responsible for that glossy coating. It is inherent to the paper itself and cannot be recreated with a spray.

Perhaps you could post that in the "Ask CGC" forum.... 27_laughing.gif27_laughing.gif27_laughing.gif

What a wise guy. But I will try it.

I will ask exactly this:

"When calling CGC for the grader's notes, what kind of and how extensive are the details available as far as Restoration detected?"

Hey Pov, when you get a response to that post, could you provide a link to it from this thread? That's a dear.. wink.gif

Seriously, I'd like to know what the 'gloss' on an early GA book would consist of. I've got a fair number of books from '38-45, say, and most of them don't appear to really have gloss at all, at least not in the sense that we think of gloss on newer comics (or even SA comics).

That Batman 3 looks lovely, but I don't see anything I'd equate with 'gloss,' even though it states that it's been re-glossed... ?

Garthgantu