• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Thanos Quest

92 posts in this topic

Where Deathlok goes, stupidity is sure to follow.

*another interesting thread ruined* frustrated.gif

Gee, sorry I ruined your geeked-out-fanboy mom-ories for you. Go ahead and continue on about how you dress up as Thanos for conventions.

Id love to see a 3 way battle royale between Deathlok, Khaos, and JC. cloud9.gif and Timulty can be there to add his 2 pennies every 3 seconds. yay.gif

Gee, sorry I ruined your geeked-out-fanboy mom-ories for you. Go ahead and continue on about how you dress up as Thanos for conventions.

Id love to see a 3 way battle royale between Deathlok, Khaos, and JC. cloud9.gif and Timulty can be there to add his 2 pennies every 3 seconds. yay.gif

frown.gif

frown.gif

cheer up my man, youve been designated court jester, which in medieval times was a highly sought after position! thumbsup2.gif

cloud9.gif

Maybe we could get the "Infinite Flame War Thread" tacked to the top of Comics General?

cloud9.gif

Maybe we could get the "Infinite Flame War Thread" tacked to the top of Comics General?

Its a possibility. As long as the cracks are good and the graemlins are kept to a minimum. Grammar correction does NOT garnish you extra points though. wink.gif

cloud9.gif

Its a possibility. As long as the cracks are good and the graemlins are kept to a minimum. Grammar correction does NOT garnish you extra points though. wink.gif

frustrated.gif

Whatever. Deathlok's motto is "I'll do anything as long as the cracks are good", so I guess HE'S in for sure...

cloud9.gif

frustrated.gif

Whatever. Deathlok's motto is "I'll do anything as long as the cracks are good", so I guess HE'S in for sure...

So, you three should start your own thread and ill award you all a gold , silver and bronze medal depending on who comes out of that thread in one piece with their dignity still intact.

cloud9.gif

frustrated.gif

So, you three should start your own thread and ill award you all a gold , silver and bronze medal depending on who comes out of that thread in one piece with their dignity still intact.

Isn't that "thread" really called "Life"? And haven't I already won the World Cup and the gold?

Really? hm?

cloud9.gif

frustrated.gif

Isn't that "thread" really called "Life"? And haven't I already won the World Cup and the gold?

Really? hm?

You know...I always was tought back in the day that it was improper to start sentences with the word AND. I think JC would give you a run for your money and Deathlok is young but getting better.

I enjoyed TQ when it came out and have the softback 1st prints. Starlin/Lim are an exceptionally rare combination that I like to Byrne/Claremont from the 70s. I loved their run on Surfer.

I like their work on Surfer as well. Somehow their Silver Surfer run always seemed important in the grand scheme of the Marvel Universe where as later books made me go "eh".

I found the print run of Infinity Gauntlet, as posted earlier in this thread, to be pretty low for its day and age. Seeing as the books were found everywhere (well at least three, four, five and six) when the series came out. Or at least so it seemed to me. Am I wrong in assuming run features one of the few times where the villain kills all the major Marvel characters and Gods before "loosing" his glove?

Yes, "loosing" is quoted as its revealed that Thanos basically choose to surrender his godhood subconsciously. Which in one of the reasons I've grown so fond of the character. He's not the typical Marvel bad guy which motivations to get petty revenge on his betters time after time. In fact, rarely do you see him get bettered. The character becomes more fleshed out when he repeated tries to self analyze himself and figure out what he needs to do to be happy. I guess this is why I can relate to the character so well. If you read the numerous stories written AFTER Infinite Gauntlet (the good ones) you see that the only conflicts he gets involved in are from the Earth Super-hero's that show contempt towards him despite the fact that he has literally saved their asses more then a few dozen times.

The Thanos 2003 series was a decent read as well until some scandalous internal problems caused Starlin to quit the title and sub sequential writers to wrap up the run.

Thanks for the links to website with complete Thanos appearances. Looks like Thanos completionist gained competition on eBay. thumbsup2.gif

P.S. I appreciate if the off topic posters would continue their flaming somewhere else. I'd like to keep this thread as a Thanos reference for those of us who care more about the character and less about what various members have to say about each other on these boards. Thank you. flowerred.gif

cloud9.gif

frustrated.gif

Really? hm?

You know...I always was tought back in the day that it was improper to start sentences with the word AND. I think JC would give you a run for your money and Deathlok is young but getting better.

It's grammatically "okay" to start a sentence with "and", though your high school English teacher might take issue with it.

(You DID make it to high school, didn't you?)

cloud9.gif

frustrated.gif

Really? hm?

It's grammatically "okay" to start a sentence with "and", though your high school English teacher might take issue with it.

(You DID make it to high school, didn't you?)

He's right. It's permissible.

Just use a conjunctive adverb next time. They sound better. makepoint.gif

Yes, "loosing" is quoted as its revealed that Thanos basically choose to surrender his godhood subconsciously. Which in one of the reasons I've grown so fond of the character.

I never really liked that retcon, especially as it came during a terrible phase in Marvel Comics where a lot of the popular villains were given a make-over and turned into heroes of some sort, or at the very least, toned down as anti-heroes.

The retcon didn't fit with the character as envisoned in the 70's and 80's, which was really Starlin's way of saying "sometimes, people are just born bad". Son of Mentor, raised on peaceful Titan, and still he became the scourge of the galaxy. His fatal flaw was his love for Death, not some subconscious need to fail.

Thanos was also one of the few villains who could elicit fear from the Marvel heroes, and this "Thanos is really a nice guy, just confused" retcon took away that whole character dynamic.

Yes, "loosing" is quoted as its revealed that Thanos basically choose to surrender his godhood subconsciously. Which in one of the reasons I've grown so fond of the character.

I never really liked that retcon, especially as it came during a terrible phase in Marvel Comics where a lot of the popular villains were given a make-over and turned into heroes of some sort, or at the very least, toned down as anti-heroes.

The retcon didn't fit with the character as envisoned in the 70's and 80's, which was really Starlin's way of saying "sometimes, people are just born bad". Son of Mentor, raised on peaceful Titan, and still he became the scourge of the galaxy. His fatal flaw was his love for Death, not some subconscious need to fail.

Thanos was also one of the few villains who could elicit fear from the Marvel heroes, and this "Thanos is really a nice guy, just confused" retcon took away that whole character dynamic.

I liked Thanos in Infinity Gaunlet as well as some of his later appearances. To me the character's motivation was just changed from the typical "I want to rule the world" cartoony two dimensional character to something deeper. I agree he isn't a good guy and when they tried to write him as such it just ruined the character. I think of him more like Galactus. Neither really good nor evil. Just selfish really. His only true motivation to get involved with anything was his own self interest. He knows he's one of the most powerful being in the universe, he doesn't have to prove it by fighting the Avengers or Fantastic Four or anyone else. He just does whatever he feels like.

I loved Infinity Gauntlet and War. Crusade was just so mediocre you could tell they were just doing it for the money. Thanos: The End was pretty good as well. I only read The Infinity Watch books here and there so I don't know how he was portrayed there. My top four villians of the MU are Galactus, Thanos, Dr. Doom, Magneto.

To me the character's motivation was just changed from the typical "I want to rule the world" cartoony two dimensional character to something deeper.

Not to be rude, but have you read the Starlin 1970's Thanos stories?

Thanos is an innovative character, as he does NOT want to rule the world/galaxy/universe, nor does he seek out fights with other heroes.

He is far above that and instead of acting out of anger, revenge or arrogance, he simply does it all for love.

All Thanos wants to do is annihilate planets, solar systems or even entire galaxies, simply to appease his lover Death.

To me the character's motivation was just changed from the typical "I want to rule the world" cartoony two dimensional character to something deeper.

Not to be rude, but have you read the Starlin 1970's Thanos stories?

Thanos is an innovative character, as he does NOT want to rule the world/galaxy/universe, nor does he seek out fights with other heroes.

He is far above that and instead of acting out of anger, revenge or arrogance, he simply does it all for love.

All Thanos wants to do is annihilate planets, solar systems or even entire galaxies, simply to appease his lover Death.

Not to moot your point JC but did you see the kiss Thanos recieved at the end of "The End"? A little bit of love 30 years in the making. Ah, to be young and in love again. cloud9.gif

As a Thanos fan of the early 90's I'm sorry to say I never really got to know the Thanos of pure evil. Maybe there's a TPB somewhere I can buy with all the past Thanos storylines?

As a Thanos fan of the early 90's I'm sorry to say I never really got to know the Thanos of pure evil. Maybe there's a TPB somewhere I can buy with all the past Thanos storylines?

Just pick up Avengers Annual 7 and that will be more than enough.

According to the Standard catolog of Comics Thanos Quest #1 had 23,000 ordered from Capital City, #2 had 19,300 ordered. This doesn't take into account newstand sales. Just to show the contrast, the Infinity War series had between 89,800 - 139,800 per issue for 1-6.

So roughly a print run under 50k? Did Thanos Quest ever hit the newsstands? I don't recall seeing this type of book at my local grocery store or gas station as a kid and it's something that would have definitely interest me.