• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Centerfold inserts in Bronze Marvel's...anybody know about them?

22 posts in this topic

I've seen the Mark Jewelers inserts back in the early 70's Marvel's, as well as the occasional Lingerie insert, but I received a batch of Marvel's today with some variations I had not seen. I have an Ironman #55 with THREE separate advertisers on a 4-page insert....some kind of trade/craft school, a jewelry insert (NOT Mark Jewelers, though!), and a Lingerie insert. Never seen that combo before...could that be some kind of a Military Base variant?

Next, I bought a few early 1980's Frank Miller Daredevil's that all had a Mark Jeweler's inserts...which I have never seen on anything later than the 1970's...any significance to that?

Just curious about the whole insert thing...I don't have a whole lot of them and I was wondering how common they were? confused-smiley-013.gif

awe4one is your best bet, but I can tell you that the lingerie centrefold insert (it's four side, right?) is on the back of the National Diamond Sales insert. There are also the Mennen and Alka-Seltzer inserts that are at the front & back of the book, next to the covers.

As for the rest...over to Jim! thumbsup2.gif

Next, I bought a few early 1980's Frank Miller Daredevil's that all had a Mark Jeweler's inserts...which I have never seen on anything later than the 1970's...any significance to that?

I have two Miller DD's with Mark Jeweler's inserts. The latest is issue 176 from November 1981. confused-smiley-013.gif

Do the inserts affect CGC's grade?

Do they add or decrease value, or do they have no effect?

I've always liked buying books with them because the books are usually in much better condition with the insert having served as a "natural" backing board over the years.

I recently scored a nice Ka-Zar lot off eBay - in the scan of the lot the #10 showed a "star" stamp near the price-box. I had read somewhere that those were MJ's, so for me it would simply be a bonus if it were. Was a super nice lot and sure enough the #10 was an insert edition! thumbsup2.gif

So, then what exactly is the significance of the "star" stamp? Some MJ's from that era have them while others do not? Does it further indicate some other meaning? What's the deal...?

Reading Awe4One's webpage had me snooping through some other, older finds too... I rediscovered a nice MJ copy of ASM #177 too! grin.gif

So, then what exactly is the significance of the "star" stamp? Some MJ's from that era have them while others do not? Does it further indicate some other meaning? What's the deal...?

Stamps were used by military Stars and Stripes (Bookmarts) to indicate the comic was purchased. They didn't necessarily put the comic in bags upon purchase and the stamp was a way of indicating it was paid for.

A stamp in itself isn't a guarantee the comic will have an insert. Having a comic with an insert depends on where it was bought...

Jim

No. CGC grades the comic the same as if they were grading one without an insert.

Depends on the comic...

Jim

Paging Mr awe4one. Mr awe4one to the red courtesy phone, please.

seriously. if it ain't on Jim's site, it probably didn't get made

Very interesting and informative....thanks! thumbsup2.gif

You all are quick... thumbsup2.gif

Jim

Part 8 is long overdue sumo.gif

Part 8: Why All of Greggy's Bronze Age comics are missing Lingerie Inserts 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

"I recently scored a nice Ka-Zar lot off eBay - in the scan of the lot the #10 showed a "star" stamp near the price-box. I had read somewhere that those were MJ's, so for me it would simply be a bonus if it were. Was a super nice lot and sure enough the #10 was an insert edition!

So, then what exactly is the significance of the "star" stamp? Some MJ's from that era have them while others do not? Does it further indicate some other meaning? What's the deal...?"

Does anybody have a scan of this "star stamp?"

"I recently scored a nice Ka-Zar lot off eBay - in the scan of the lot the #10 showed a "star" stamp near the price-box. I had read somewhere that those were MJ's, so for me it would simply be a bonus if it were. Was a super nice lot and sure enough the #10 was an insert edition!

So, then what exactly is the significance of the "star" stamp? Some MJ's from that era have them while others do not? Does it further indicate some other meaning? What's the deal...?"

I believe the star stamp was for books sold in some army bases bookstores.

Stamps were used by military Stars and Stripes (Bookmarts) to indicate the comic was purchased. They didn't necessarily put the comic in bags upon purchase and the stamp was a way of indicating it was paid for.

A stamp in itself isn't a guarantee the comic will have an insert. Having a comic with an insert depends on where it was bought...

Jim

CGC also considers them a defect, unlike date stamps.

Jim

CGC also considers them a defect, unlike date stamps.

Where did they say that? I have some CGC graded 9.4s with the stamp...

Jim

The example below is a pretty common example of a "star stamp". You'll find a alot of them near the price box but can be anywhere on the front or back cover. Also, stars aren't the only symbol you'll find. I've seen slightly bigger round stamps used that identified the military base the comic was purchased at (Yokoda or Ramstein AB for example)...

pfmt38star.jpg

pfmt38.jpg

Jim