• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Centerfold inserts in Bronze Marvel's...anybody know about them?

22 posts in this topic

Stamps were used by military Stars and Stripes (Bookmarts) to indicate the comic was purchased. They didn't necessarily put the comic in bags upon purchase and the stamp was a way of indicating it was paid for.

Wow, that 's cool to know! thumbsup2.gifcool.gif

The example below is a pretty common example of a "star stamp". You'll find a alot of them near the price box but can be anywhere on the front or back cover. Also, stars aren't the only symbol you'll find. I've seen slightly bigger round stamps used that identified the military base the comic was purchased at (Yokoda or Ramstein AB for example)...

pfmt38star.jpg

Jim

Yep, that's the stuff! Man, I love these boards! Y'all ROCK! headbang.gifhail.gif

So, then what exactly is the significance of the "star" stamp? Some MJ's from that era have them while others do not? Does it further indicate some other meaning? What's the deal...?

Stamps were used by military Stars and Stripes (Bookmarts) to indicate the comic was purchased. They didn't necessarily put the comic in bags upon purchase and the stamp was a way of indicating it was paid for.

A stamp in itself isn't a guarantee the comic will have an insert. Having a comic with an insert depends on where it was bought...

Jim

CGC also considers them a defect, unlike date stamps.

Where did they say that? I have some CGC graded 9.4s with the stamp...

Jim

There was a thread some time back where someone mentioned their book was given a lower grade b/c of the star stamp. IIRC they called and got the notes.