• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Why collect Copper Marvel?

37 posts in this topic

Lots of nostalgia for me in the Copper Age. The kid in me would say that this book is the true "grail" of my entire collection....and would have killed to have it were it available when the book came out on the newsstand. cloud9.gif

SSFF285.jpg

One of my favorite stories EVER!! cloud9.gif

I mean, they're so ridiculously plentiful aren't they.. So is there really any point in collecting them?

I thought about this recently when I received a complete set of DD 158 to 191.. I bought this for reading purposes, but the books were actually in better shape than i'd expected (mostly VF with a quite a few in VF+) - so the collector in me says bag and board (or even mylar) them, and never touch them again unless very gingerly. But I did want these to read though - of course, keeping them loose (like i do with all my readers) will reduce the grade and value. But I don't really care; it'll be quite a while before a VF DD 183 will turn any heads at ebay anyway i suppose..

With my collection i'm thinking quality over quantity; I'd rather have a shortbox of hi-grade Silver Marvels than 10 longboxes of Coppers. Why collect anything if it's not rare?

(Well besides the obvious answer of course - because you enjoy it smile.gif )

I don't know about copper age (I don't buy into this notion that there is such a thing as a "copper age" of comics) but I do believe that 1980 to 1987 Marvels in 9.6 or better will appreciate over time and I think we can expect this to start happening within the next three to five years. 9.2's to 9.4s will appreciate over A LOT of time. Anything below 9.2 won;t appreciate in my lifetime (if ever).

Now that is a femullet!

headbang.gif

Nice mullet hunting! 893applaud-thumb.gif

The pictures of the "Golden Man" on www.mulletsgalore.com (in the "Hunts" section) are pictures I took in 2000 at the Portland Brewfest. It used to be called the "Golden Fluffy Mullet" (with mulletude and aggression scores of 10 each headbang.gif) but the website operator apparently changed the name a couple of years ago to the Golden Man. It was Mullet of the Week when I first submitted the pics. cloud9.gif

With my collection i'm thinking quality over quantity; I'd rather have a shortbox of hi-grade Silver Marvels than 10 longboxes of Coppers. Why collect anything if it's not rare?

Everyone has certain priorities and styles in the way that they collect. You have a limited amount of funds, and if you buy $100 HG books or $1 readers it will obviously dictate what kind of collection you have. But what I have never really understood is the desire for rarety. Yes, I know it has all to do with value, supply and demand and all that, but if I like a book, or am seeking a book, the fact that it is rare or not makes absolutely no difference to me. If a book is $100 because it is rare but in low demand, or $100 but plentiful and in high demand, either way, I don't care, if it is worth $100 to me, I'll buy it. The part that is hard for me to understand is why a book becomes more desirable just because it is rare. I can understand it from an investment point of view, but not as a collector or to somebody that just enjoys having it. Why is having something rare so cool? Is it ego, exclusivity, what? Is anyone here willing to state exactly why a book becomes more desirable to you just because it is rare, as opposed to a similar counterpart in ample supply? I just want to hear about why this makes others tick. confused-smiley-013.gif

Everyone has certain priorities and styles in the way that they collect. You have a limited amount of funds, and if you buy $100 HG books or $1 readers it will obviously dictate what kind of collection you have. But what I have never really understood is the desire for rarety. Yes, I know it has all to do with value, supply and demand and all that, but if I like a book, or am seeking a book, the fact that it is rare or not makes absolutely no difference to me. If a book is $100 because it is rare but in low demand, or $100 but plentiful and in high demand, either way, I don't care, if it is worth $100 to me, I'll buy it. The part that is hard for me to understand is why a book becomes more desirable just because it is rare. I can understand it from an investment point of view, but not as a collector or to somebody that just enjoys having it. Why is having something rare so cool? Is it ego, exclusivity, what? Is anyone here willing to state exactly why a book becomes more desirable to you just because it is rare, as opposed to a similar counterpart in ample supply? I just want to hear about why this makes others tick. confused-smiley-013.gif

I think its knowing that you have something or many things in your collection that are desirable to you and others who have similar interests. It makes your collection that much more special. And I think its an accomplishment to succeed in obtaining something that you thought you may never have because of its rarity.

Thats how I feel about it. confused-smiley-013.gif

the good old "thrill of the hunt" plays a factor, as has been discussed elsewhere - some of these books simply aren't challenging enough (unless in uber-high grade). Getting a 9.4 run of Miller DD's - easy; some cash and 5 minutes of surfing, and you're there. Now, getting a 9.4 run of My Love , on the other hand.. 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

Now as to why I need that challenge, however.. It's kinda like when someone climbs the Mount Everest, even though they live in Kenya and Kilimanjaro is right in their back yard. (well almost the same smile.gif )

Why collect Copper Marvels? Depends on what you collect. There are Copper Marvels that will help me complete full runs of several titles (one of which happens to be DD). I want to read them, so the cheaper I can find them, the better. I'm not much of a comic investor, so whether they go way up in value in the future is of little concern to me. Would it be nice? Sure, but I'm not adding my comic collection to my net worth or my plan for my retirement. My comics are separate from my real-world finances.

I own a couple of books (regular books, not comic books) that are semi-hard to find at decent prices. I didn't get them just because they were rare, I got them because they are about a couple of my hobbies. It's neat to own them, but only because I'm interested in the subject matter. Some random rare book wouldn't mean anything to me and I probably wouldn't bother spending the money for it. It has to mean something to ME.

Same with comics. If I like it and it's rare, all the better, but just to be rare by itself? meh. I usually don't chase things like that.

the good old "thrill of the hunt" plays a factor, as has been discussed elsewhere - some of these books simply aren't challenging enough (unless in uber-high grade). Getting a 9.4 run of Miller DD's - easy; some cash and 5 minutes of surfing, and you're there. Now, getting a 9.4 run of My Love , on the other hand.. 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

Now as to why I need that challenge, however.. It's kinda like when someone climbs the Mount Everest, even though they live in Kenya and Kilimanjaro is right in their back yard. (well almost the same smile.gif )

My Love nothing....bah..try finding me a GI JoE 21 in a 9.8. Its been a fruitless 10 year hunt for me.

The pictures of the "Golden Man" on www.mulletsgalore.com (in the "Hunts" section) are pictures I took in 2000 at the Portland Brewfest. It used to be called the "Golden Fluffy Mullet" (with mulletude and aggression scores of 10 each headbang.gif) but the website operator apparently changed the name a couple of years ago to the Golden Man. It was Mullet of the Week when I first submitted the pics. cloud9.gif

My God, his write up is hilarious.

27_laughing.gif27_laughing.gif27_laughing.gif