• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Why collect Copper Marvel?

37 posts in this topic

I mean, they're so ridiculously plentiful aren't they.. So is there really any point in collecting them?

I thought about this recently when I received a complete set of DD 158 to 191.. I bought this for reading purposes, but the books were actually in better shape than i'd expected (mostly VF with a quite a few in VF+) - so the collector in me says bag and board (or even mylar) them, and never touch them again unless very gingerly. But I did want these to read though - of course, keeping them loose (like i do with all my readers) will reduce the grade and value. But I don't really care; it'll be quite a while before a VF DD 183 will turn any heads at ebay anyway i suppose..

With my collection i'm thinking quality over quantity; I'd rather have a shortbox of hi-grade Silver Marvels than 10 longboxes of Coppers. Why collect anything if it's not rare?

(Well besides the obvious answer of course - because you enjoy it smile.gif )

Why collect anything if it's not rare?

Methinks you need a new hobby. hi.gif

Please, everyone knows that comic books, particularly pre-1970 (the end of the Silver Age), and specifically Marvels of that time are obscenely rare. Clearly with the rate of attrition for so-called "Copper Age" books due to lack of interest from the current aging fan base these books (Alpha Flight, Ambush Bug) will be in HUGE demand as the planet's population continues to grow and more and more young children/collectors flood the hobby!

Please, everyone knows that comic books, particularly pre-1970 (the end of the Silver Age), and specifically Marvels of that time are obscenely rare. Clearly with the rate of attrition for so-called "Copper Age" books due to lack of interest from the current aging fan base these books (Alpha Flight, Ambush Bug) will be in HUGE demand as the planet's population continues to grow and more and more young children/collectors flood the hobby!

That's the kind of clearminded, positive thinking this board has been in dire need of. It's like a breath of fresh air in a smoky room. I salute you. 893applaud-thumb.gif

That's the kind of clearminded, positive thinking this board has been in dire need of. It's like a breath of fresh air in a smoky room. I salute you. 893applaud-thumb.gif

Good grief, Bongo! You're all about the smoke-filled rooms this weekend. headbang.gif

Good grief, Bongo! You're all about the smoke-filled rooms this weekend. headbang.gif

27_laughing.gif

Those days are long gone, if they ever really existed at all. 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

27_laughing.gif Those days are long gone, if they ever really existed at all. 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

all a hazy memory now?

27_laughing.gif Those days are long gone, if they ever really existed at all. 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

all a hazy memory now?

If they did exist would you remember?

To answer the question, if I want readers I buy TPB's. Frank Miller Visionaries collects the whole shebang. If I want to collect, I'll buy the books. The covers are great, the stories are great. Some people might want them to get Signature series too. Some people can't afford high grade golden age keys. Some people don't invest in items with no intrinsic value, but rather collect for the hobby. Collect what you love, not for investment potential. If you're collecting for investment purposes try the Vice Fund or pork bellies.

I mean, they're so ridiculously plentiful aren't they.. So is there really any point in collecting them?

I thought about this recently when I received a complete set of DD 158 to 191.. I bought this for reading purposes, but the books were actually in better shape than i'd expected (mostly VF with a quite a few in VF+) - so the collector in me says bag and board (or even mylar) them, and never touch them again unless very gingerly. But I did want these to read though - of course, keeping them loose (like i do with all my readers) will reduce the grade and value. But I don't really care; it'll be quite a while before a VF DD 183 will turn any heads at ebay anyway i suppose..

With my collection i'm thinking quality over quantity; I'd rather have a shortbox of hi-grade Silver Marvels than 10 longboxes of Coppers. Why collect anything if it's not rare?

(Well besides the obvious answer of course - because you enjoy it smile.gif )

If you can't read a VF or VF+ without damaging it, I think you may need to up the dosage on your tremor medication. wink.gif

Seriously though, read away. I use VFs and VF+s as reader copies all the time. They feel like and look like NMs when you're reading them, and reading a nice high-grade copy takes me back to the time when I first read them off the newsstand in a way that reading a low grade copy can't.

Also, the difference in value for a DD#183 in VF-/VF/VF+ is negligible. Unless you shake so hard and drool so badly that you wind up with a soggy, shredded mess when you're done reading, you have nothing to worry about.

Also, the difference in value for a DD#183 in VF-/VF/VF+ is negligible. Unless you shake so hard and drool so badly that you wind up with a soggy, shredded mess when you're done reading, you have nothing to worry about.

27_laughing.gif I hate it when that happens.

But yeah, i'll definitely be reading away. I hate reading comics gingerly smile.gif

Also I always prefer originals for reading (up to a certain price point). pulpy four colors, LOC-pages, bullpens, original ads - comics history is being made and you're there as it unfolds cloud9.gif

But yeah, i'll definitely be reading away. I hate reading comics gingerly smile.gif

Also I always prefer originals for reading (up to a certain price point). pulpy four colors, LOC-pages, bullpens, original ads - comics history is being made and you're there as it unfolds cloud9.gif

spoken like a true collector. thumbsup2.gif

spoken like a true collector. thumbsup2.gif

Agree. I am reading Sandman Mystery Theater for the first time and I am loving the Letters in those "early" Vertigo. I would've missed out on those in trades.