• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Are these CGC'd HG Spidey auctions legit?

11 posts in this topic

Has anyone seen these 3 auctions on eBay? They are for an ASM #100 CGC 9.4, ASM #121 CGC 9.6 and ASM #122 CGC 9.4, respectively:

Item # 2174141728

Item # 2174143774

Item # 2174144585

Has anyone dealt with this seller before? He has good feedback (303 positives, 1 negative), but these auctions raised some concerns:

1. He says that he just got the books back from CGC, but the scans show that these are not current model CGC cases. In fact, I don't think this particular case (with the visible plastic flap in the rear supporting the bottom edge of the book) has been used in the last 2 years, right? Has anyone gotten any books back from CGC lately with the flap? Have they switched back or might they be clearing out old inventory? Or has the seller swiped someone else's old scans (not making accusations, just want to get to the bottom of this before bidding higher)?

2. It's a bit odd to have sold exclusively raw, low dollar value books (as far as I can see from the transaction history) and then come up with three pristine CGC'd beauties like this.

Anyway, any feedback you may have on your dealings with this person or on the concerns I have raised above would be appreciated...I'm genuinely interested in the books (not trying to emulate 'Dogg's scam-busting activities) and am just looking for info so I can get comfortable bidding higher.

Regards,

Gene

Some observations:

-He is a powerseller

-Those items are Featured Plus Auctions

(not your usual scam-artist)

-He has provided scans of those comics before slabbing (with same black background he has in his raw-book auctions)

-pictures of raw and slabbed comics seem to be same from the same books

(for example top staple placement in ASM 100 is identical, cover cut just above comics code in ASM 122)

Seems legit to me.

Can't say anything about those CGC cases thou.

BTW: Mushroom has bough comics from him (feedback left by jobillington)

Edit: Auction links added

ASM 100

ASM 121

ASM 122

Has anyone established that CGC doesn't use flaps anymore? I remember somebody asking them why they use them and they responded that they're used whenever the comic isn't fitting in the well right...I'm assuming the flaps are something they've got sitting around that get used whenever the person doing the encapsulating decides it would be a good idea. The ones I've got with flaps look like my Silver book is sitting in a well designed for Golden age...I figured they might've been running low on Silver wells the week my flapped books went through their system.

I haven't noticed any consistent pattern to CGC's use of the flaps.

I think you are refering to the wedges which CGC sometimes use if a book doesn't fit snugly in the case. They are not a standard part of the CGC inner well/ outer case set-up and are used on books that are loose in the holder.

For the record I have only 3 CGC books with these wedges (out of around 250) and as far as I know CGC have used the from the get go and still do. Maybe SB can confirm that CGC still use the wedges.

These auctions look fine to me.

Regarding CGC's use of wedges, I had quite a few of my most recent batch come back with them so they are still using them. So...that fact is no cause for alarm. cloud9.gif

P.S. ASM 100, 121, and 122 aren't the scarcest books in the world! 893frustrated.gif

Regarding CGC's use of wedges, I had quite a few of my most recent batch come back with them so they are still using them.

OK, good to know...thanks for the input.

P.S. ASM 100, 121, and 122 aren't the scarcest books in the world!

True...I think I have just become hyper-paranoid with all the frauds that 'Dogg has busted plus the ridiculous number of overt scam e-mails I get from eBay cheats these days. 893naughty-thumb.gif

Gene

1. He says that he just got the books back from CGC, but the scans show that these are not current model CGC cases. In fact, I don't think this particular case (with the visible plastic flap in the rear supporting the bottom edge of the book) has been used in the last 2 years, right?

Just to confirm. Your definition of 'current model cases' is off base here think. As far as I am aware there has been no model change at all. You may (I am somewhat assuming here, correct me if I am wrong) be only familiar with Bronze/Modern CGC books, if that is the case then you may have not come across the CGC wedge which seems to be more commonly used with Silver age books.

Check back (using search function) on various threads on the CGC holders that have been posted here (mainly by notch_top) regarding CGC holder/damage issues.

The wedge (it has been argued) should actually be used more frequently, as it seems to stabilise the book within the CGC holder and prevents slippage (i.e. book gravitationally falling to bottom of holder and being damaged by indent).

I am rambling a bit here (listening to Bronzebruce13 too much: p) but essentially what I am trying to say is that any CGC book you see with the wedge present is probably a better-preserved book than the regular version.

Regarding CGC's use of wedges, I had quite a few of my most recent batch come back with them so they are still using them.

I can attest to that on a recent submission as well.

Yep, my last submission to CGC came back with every single slab having the support wedge thing. It's a great step up, as they really don't move much at all with these things in there.

Brian

Gene,

I not going to make any money flipping the ones I bought from him but the grading was fair (if I am really happy I will say accurate in the feedback). His service was good. Price wasn't outrageous. All in all a satisfactory transaction.