• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Hulk 2 Movie is TOAST

208 posts in this topic

Gimme a break. It's everywhere and I even thought the news might have been posted already. From Variety by way of Comics2Film:

http://www.comics2film.com/FanFrame.php?f_id=17650

Company also revealed that its Marvel StudiosMarvel Studios arm has reclaimed the rights to the Hulk franchise from Universal.

But does that show how much they spent into promoting the film also?

Yes it does if you go and look.....

A couple of things to note on there. It gives you the production budget and estimated marketing costs. I do remember hearing how this film ballooned over budget, so I'm not sure how accurate that figure is. The second thing I would note, is that while it gives you the grosses, keep in mind these are not the net profits.

In the end, I imagine, it wasn't a very lucrative investment on the part of the producers funding the film. There are a lot better returns one could get with that much money. A low budget horror film like the Texas Chainsaw Massacre remake will get you a much better return with far, far less capital investment.

Between Universal's share of the box office gross (in which Marvel had extremely limited participation of $5 million), DVD sales, and ancillary revenue streams (Hulk was a HUGE licensing product for merchandising), the Hulk movie made a lot of money for Universal. I think Universal is just concerned that they won't have a big opening weekend on Hulk 2, that they won't get the same amount of merchandising the second go around because everyone views the first movie as a moderate failure, and because Marvel is entitled to a much larger percentage of profit sharing on Hulk 2. (Marvel agreed to limit its profit sharing on box office and DVD sales of Hulk 1 in order to get a larger percentage of Hulk 2 and subsequent films.) But make no mistake, the Hulk made plenty of money for Universal.

oh well, I guess there is no need to get thoose HTF HG TTA 90, 91 issues now...

Alot of people were banking on the Abomination being a key character in Hulk 2.

I will probibly buy those in HG anyway, but no rush now...

tonofbricks.gif

Dooh! I've got 5, no 6, (actually not entirely sure right this second) copies of TTA #90.

Let this be a lesson to us all!! flamed.gif

I guess everyone thinks of Hulk like the American Godzilla movie; lots of hype and disappointment after. However, Godzilla DID make a profit. It wasn't the bomb people think it was. Again, maybe it will be for the best. Hopefully, Marvel will take the time to get a good writer and get a good story for a sequel instead.

However, Godzilla DID make a profit. It wasn't the bomb people think it was.

With home DVD revenue, it is virtually impossible to make a bomb these days. If you spend a ton on production, you just spend a ton of advertising, and even a lame duck like The Hulk will make a profit.

Given that, no studio or investor in their right mind wants to pay $175 million upfront, for a "small profit". screwy.gif

However, Godzilla DID make a profit. It wasn't the bomb people think it was.

With home DVD revenue, it is virtually impossible to make a bomb these days. If you spend a ton on production, you just spend a ton of advertising, and even a lame duck like The Hulk will make a profit.

Given that, no studio or investor in their right mind wants to pay $175 million upfront, for a "small profit". screwy.gif

Godzilla made a profit while still at the theaters, prior to dvd sales. There was a "Directors" show on AMC a few months ago and the director was actually talking about it. Don't forget it did have a $50 million weekend opening. I don't know the totals for worldwide.

I'm kinda glad the move is in a development hell. You know how much money I spent on hulk stuff for the movie? The looks from children at Toys R Us as they watched my two shopping carts full of hulk stuff pass by? Women laughing at me knowing I was lying when I said I was getting thesse for my nephew. My mother telling herself, "my son will never get married." I think I can do without another hulk film for awhile.

Of all the characters to blow it with, they had to screw up the Hulk. Arghhh!

893scratchchin-thumb.gif I disagree, the Hulk is NOT the worst Marvel Movie made - not by a long shot.

What are you disagreeing with? I never said it was the worst film Marvel made, just that I was disappointed that of all the characters in the Marvel universe, they had to screw up the Hulk. He's my favorite character and the movie was essentially a bomb.

Certainly Man-Thing was worse, but other than analyzing some of their TV movies, I'm not sure if I can name any others that were as bad. Oh, maybe Daredevil was as bad. That could be open for debate. I never saw Electra, so not sure where that one ranks.

What films would you rank behind the Hulk. Maybe there are some I'm not thinking of.

What films would you rank behind the Hulk. Maybe there are some I'm not thinking of.

Of the recent superhero movies, Elektra and Catwoman were terrible and easily below the Hulk, Daredevil probably slightly worse, and Punisher and FF were about equal.

Basically on the Marvel front, other than Spider-man and X-Men, the movies have all been horrible.

Of the recent superhero movies, Elektra and Catwoman were terrible and easily below the Hulk, Daredevil probably slightly worse, and Punisher and FF were about equal.

Basically on the Marvel front, other than Spider-man and X-Men, the movies have all been horrible.

Well, Catwoman was DC. I never saw Electra, but could agree that Daredevel was slightly worse. I thought FF was a little bit better and I loved the Punisher. I thought it was kick arse!

Actually, it does look as though there will be a Hulk 2 movie and it looks as though Marvel is trying to position itself to make all their own movies soon. It's too early to tell what the end result will be, but it certainly sounds as if Hulk 2 is very much on the table.

http://www.icv2.com/articles/news/8274.html

Well, Catwoman was DC. I never saw Electra, but could agree that Daredevel was slightly worse. I thought FF was a little bit better and I loved the Punisher. I thought it was kick arse!

I recently saw part of Catwoman when it was on cable awhile ago. Missed the beggining, but came in during the basketball scene, I threw up in my mouth a little bit and quickly turned the channel.

Ze-