• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Hulk 2 Movie is TOAST

208 posts in this topic

Without going into a lot of research to see what films would have qualified for the Oscar that year, I know I liked "The Natural" better.

Whoa! Talk about touchy feely pics! 893whatthe.gif

I'll start watching the AWARDS when they make a catagory called... THE MOST MEMORABLE MOVIE OF THE YEAR. Because a lot of these so called winners of BEST are forgotten within a year and a half to two years. Very few BEST MOVIES are movies I'll watch again.

I agree. This isn't the kind of touchy feely movie that's going to garner all the Oscars nods

This misconception that touchy feely or artsy movies are the only ones that win or get nominated for Oscars just makes me laugh. Which two films have won the most Oscars ever? The answer is "Return of the King" and "Ben Hur". Not exactly art house fare.

Here you go Tim. I think you are picking out diamonds in the rough for your examples.

Best Film Oscars go to:

Million Dollar Baby (2004) great

Lord of the Rings: The Return of the King (2003) great

Chicago (2002) ok

Beautiful Mind, A (2001) good

Gladiator (2000) good

American Beauty (1999) good

Shakespeare in Love (1998) sucked

Titanic (1997) b]sucked[/b] except for the boat

English Patient, The (1996) ok

Braveheart (1995) great

Forrest Gump (1994) good

Schindler's List (1993) great

Unforgiven (1992) great

Silence of the Lambs, The (1991) great

Dances with Wolves (1990) great on big screen, sucks on TV

Driving Miss Daisy (1989) good

Rain Man (1988) good

Last Emperor, The (1987) good

Platoon (1986) great

Out of Africa (1985) ok

Amadeus (1984) GOOD

Terms of Endearment (1983) ok

Gandhi (1982) great

Chariots of Fire (1981) great

Ordinary People (1980) ok

Kramer vs. Kramer (1979)

Deer Hunter, The (1978) great

Annie Hall (1977)

Rocky (1976) great

One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest (1975) great

Godfather: Part II, The (1974) great

Sting, The (1973)

Godfather, The (1972) great

French Connection, The (1971) great

Patton (1970) great

Midnight Cowboy (1969)

Oliver! (1968)

In the Heat of the Night (1967) great

Man for All Seasons, A (1966) great

Sound of Music, The (1965)

My Fair Lady (1964)

Tom Jones (1963)

Lawrence of Arabia (1962) great

West Side Story (1961)

Apartment, The (1960)

Ben-Hur (1959) great

Gigi (1958)

Bridge on the River Kwai, The (1957) great

Around the World in 80 Days (1956)

Marty (1955) great

On the Waterfront (1954) great

From Here to Eternity (1953) great

Greatest Show on Earth, The (1952)

American in Paris, An (1951)

All About Eve (1950)

All the King's Men (1949) great

Hamlet (1948)

Gentleman's Agreement (1947)

Best Years of Our Lives, The (1946)

Lost Weekend, The (1945)

Going My Way (1944)

Casablanca (1942) great

Mrs. Miniver (1942)

How Green Was My Valley (1941) great

Rebecca (1940)

Gone with the Wind (1939) great

You Can't Take It with You (1938)

Life of Émile Zola, The (1937)

Great Ziegfeld, The (1936)

Mutiny on the Bounty (1935) great

It Happened One Night (1934)

Cavalcade (1933)

Grand Hotel (1932)

Cimarron (1931)

All Quiet on the Western Front (1930) great

Broadway Melody, The (1929)

Wings (1927)

Just adding my 2cents

Amadeus just OK? 893whatthe.gif It's one of the best movies of all-time, IMO. I'd put in the Top 5 on that list (of the ones I've seen).

I realize it's personal preference, but that was a fantastic film. Why do you give it just "OK"?

Ok, maybe it was a little late,,,but I'll upgrade it to a Good, just didn't get to me like some other films. Although there was 1993, if the movie The Piano with Holly Hunter would have won, I think I would have slit my wrists!!! That movie SU@#*! thank god for Schindler's List!

Without going into a lot of research to see what films would have qualified for the Oscar that year, I know I liked "The Natural" better.

Whoa! Talk about touchy feely pics! 893whatthe.gif

I know! But it did have some small explosions when he smashed one into the lights. 27_laughing.gif

(Please note this is not directed at anyone in particular, and only a generalization..)

I had an epiphany looking over this thread that comic book collectors have poor taste and/or knowledge of film...they really are two different worlds...

Maybe that's part of the reason the film adaptations of comics have been so

hit and miss...creators know they are aiming for a generally unsophisticated

and non discerning lot, cinematically-wise.... 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

(Please note this is not directed at anyone in particular, and only a generalization..)

I had an epiphany looking over this thread that comic book collectors have poor taste and/or knowledge of film...they really are two different worlds...

I agree.

I think we is being made fun at with a bunch a fancy words like the ones Illiterati uses!

mad.gif

I agree.

Oh, please! Poor taste and knowledge? By whose account? Films are subjective, it's not like there is an exact science to it, or any right or wrong. There are opinions and emotions that we each feel differently about. What moves you or affects you, may not move or affect anyone else. Does that mean someone has "poor taste" or is "unknowledgeable"?

I agree. This isn't the kind of touchy feely movie that's going to garner all the Oscars nods

This misconception that touchy feely or artsy movies are the only ones that win or get nominated for Oscars just makes me laugh. Which two films have won the most Oscars ever? The answer is "Return of the King" and "Ben Hur". Not exactly art house fare.

Here you go Tim. I think you are picking out diamonds in the rough for your examples.

Best Film Oscars go to:

Million Dollar Baby (2004) great

Lord of the Rings: The Return of the King (2003) great

Chicago (2002) ok

Beautiful Mind, A (2001) good

Gladiator (2000) good

American Beauty (1999) good

Shakespeare in Love (1998) sucked

Titanic (1997) b]sucked[/b] except for the boat

English Patient, The (1996) ok

Braveheart (1995) great

Forrest Gump (1994) good

Schindler's List (1993) great

Unforgiven (1992) great

Silence of the Lambs, The (1991) great

Dances with Wolves (1990) great on big screen, sucks on TV

Driving Miss Daisy (1989) good

Rain Man (1988) good

Last Emperor, The (1987) good

Platoon (1986) great

Out of Africa (1985) ok

Amadeus (1984) GOOD

Terms of Endearment (1983) ok

Gandhi (1982) great

Chariots of Fire (1981) great

Ordinary People (1980) ok

Kramer vs. Kramer (1979)

Deer Hunter, The (1978) great

Annie Hall (1977)

Rocky (1976) great

One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest (1975) great

Godfather: Part II, The (1974) great

Sting, The (1973)

Godfather, The (1972) great

French Connection, The (1971) great

Patton (1970) great

Midnight Cowboy (1969)

Oliver! (1968)

In the Heat of the Night (1967) great

Man for All Seasons, A (1966) great

Sound of Music, The (1965)

My Fair Lady (1964)

Tom Jones (1963)

Lawrence of Arabia (1962) great

West Side Story (1961)

Apartment, The (1960)

Ben-Hur (1959) great

Gigi (1958)

Bridge on the River Kwai, The (1957) great

Around the World in 80 Days (1956)

Marty (1955) great

On the Waterfront (1954) great

From Here to Eternity (1953) great

Greatest Show on Earth, The (1952)

American in Paris, An (1951)

All About Eve (1950)

All the King's Men (1949) great

Hamlet (1948)

Gentleman's Agreement (1947)

Best Years of Our Lives, The (1946)

Lost Weekend, The (1945)

Going My Way (1944)

Casablanca (1942) great

Mrs. Miniver (1942)

How Green Was My Valley (1941) great

Rebecca (1940)

Gone with the Wind (1939) great

You Can't Take It with You (1938)

Life of Émile Zola, The (1937)

Great Ziegfeld, The (1936)

Mutiny on the Bounty (1935) great

It Happened One Night (1934)

Cavalcade (1933)

Grand Hotel (1932)

Cimarron (1931)

All Quiet on the Western Front (1930) great

Broadway Melody, The (1929)

Wings (1927)

Just adding my 2cents

Amadeus just OK? 893whatthe.gif It's one of the best movies of all-time, IMO. I'd put in the Top 5 on that list (of the ones I've seen).

I realize it's personal preference, but that was a fantastic film. Why do you give it just "OK"?

Ok, maybe it was a little late,,,but I'll upgrade it to a Good, just didn't get to me like some other films. Although there was 1993, if the movie The Piano with Holly Hunter would have won, I think I would have slit my wrists!!! That movie SU@#*! thank god for Schindler's List!

my fair lady was great!

all about eve was very good

you can't take it with you is a nutty old movie that i find very entertaining especially considering it was from the late thirties which was still a couple years before hollywood started to make it's best movies!

I really think you are WAY off with that assesment. flowerred.gif

Comic collectors are if anything fanatical about what they read, how it is written,as well as rendered. We critique, it is what we do well.

That translates itself very well to every other medium. Especially movies.

Setting personal tastes aside. As a whole comic fans generally love movies, have a vast DVD library,are well versed in movie lore, and tend to know all of the classics. That is why we probably judge comic related movies so harshly, we want them to be classics, not rental material only.

You cannot take the personal tastes of a few here as anything but what they are, personal opinions. Even in this thread there have been people on both sides of the extreme.

The reason comic movies might be so hit and miss is not because we as comic fans are the target demographic, and are any more or less discerning then "sophisticated folks". It is becasue the studios, suits and movie execs do not have the brains,fortitude or talent to create movies that have a lasting appeal.

This fanboy stereotype mentality irks me. Sure it is true on many levels,but it is like saying the reason a Hillary Duff movie was terrible is because it was intended for stupid young girls.

You can make a movie geared for girls and not have it insult you as a movie goer, no matter your age, or gender.

A movie should stand on it's own, no matter what demographic it was intended for.

For example, The Sound of Music is musical, meant for kids and families. While not my personal cup of tea, it is a fantastic movie. We own it on DVD and intend to watch it as it was intended. As a Family

If only every movie was made with such care, and craftmanship.

Ze-

I really think you are WAY off with that assesment. flowerred.gif

Comic collectors are if anything fanatical about what they read, how it is written,as well as rendered. We critique

That translates itself very well to every other medium. Especially movies.

Setting personal tastes aside. As a whole comic fans generally love movies, have a vast DVD library,are well versed in movie lore, and tend to know all of the classics. That is why we probably judge comic related movies so harshly, we want them to be classics, not rental material only.

You cannot take the personal tastes of a few here as anything but what they are, personal opinions. Even in this thread there have been people on both sides of the extreme.

The reason comic movies might be so hit and miss is not because we as comic fans are the target demographic any more or less discerning then "sophisticated folks". It is becasue the studios, suits and movie execs do not have the brains,fortitude or talent to create movies that have a lasting appeal.

This fanboy stereotype mentality irks me. Sure it is true on many levels,but it is like saying the reason a Hillary Duff movie was terrible is because it was intended for stupid young girls.

You can make a movie geared for girls and not have it insult you as a movie goer, no matter your age, or gender.

A movie should stand on it's own, no matter what demographic it was intended for.

The Sound of Music is musical, meant for kids ,and families and not my personal cup of tea, but it is a fantastic movie, we own it on DVD and intend tow atch it as it was intended. As a Family

Ze-

You're wrong. You're all .

(Aces: tongue.gif )

I was making fun of G.W. after your insufficiently_thoughtful_person/soldier comment.

sorry.gif

Move along, nothing to see here.

Ze-

I was making fun of G.W. after your insufficiently_thoughtful_person/soldier comment.

sorry.gif

Move along, nothing to see here.

Ze-

See where? Who are you? Who am I?? WHERE ARE MY SOCKS?!?!?!!?!

Oh. Right there. On my feet.