• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

ComicBook Mainstream

7 posts in this topic

With the success of Comicbooks on Movies,Pc and Console gaming and trade paperbacks at your local bookstore, and I don't mean comicbook store of mainstream characters from Marvel and D.C. do you think we are experiencing a Reniassance of a popculture getting more respect? 893scratchchin-thumb.gifacclaim.gif

Of course, as the 1970's and 80's kids are all grown up and spending money like madmen (and women). Now that "comic characters are cool again", it's time to really open up the wallets.

With the success of Comicbooks on Movies, Pc and Console gaming and trade paperbacks at your local bookstore, and I don't mean comicbook store of mainstream characters from Marvel and D.C. do you think we are experiencing a Reniassance of a popculture getting more respect?

I think there is a certain amount of crossover appeal for comic book characters in the mainstream. Certainly for the big Marvel proprieties such as Spider-Man, X-Men, Hulk (maybe) the future is looking bright as far as character exposure is concerned. Hopefully this will translate to modern comic book sales, but it is a stretch. The characters are certainly gaining the critical acclaim they deserve, but the way comic bookas are marketed these days may preclude any chance of the medium cashing in on the super-hero genre success on the big screen.

I am though, SERIUOSLY HOPING SOMEONE WILL CHIME IN WITH AN ARGUMENT THAT DISCOUNTS MINE.

please.....

Lee, I also think that there will be some crossover, but I think that the first places to see it would be with the video games, followed by t-shirts, etc. New people actually buying comics ranks pretty low on the cross sell IMO.

DAM

There is also a percentage of people who have decided to invest money that was previously in the stock market in comics. There have been numerous articles in Forbes and related financial magazines.

The only way to get folks buying comics again is to put comic books where people are.

Mass market bookstores and game stores (EB, etc.) would need to start stocking comic books. Marvel and DC would need to start promoting them at retail and wean themselves from the direct teat. This probably won't happen, as they've both figured out how to make publishing for the fanboys profitable, and when they generate any crossover IP (intellectual property [characters]), walk it into Hollywood and put it on TV or in movies.

Mavel and DC should take a page from Scholastic publishing's book (pardon the pun). Scholastic knows very well how to market printed matter to kids and tweens.

Bottom line: don't hold your breath.

There is also a percentage of people who have decided to invest money that was previously in the stock market in comics. There have been numerous articles in Forbes and related financial magazines.

This trend amuses me to no end, as these insufficiently_thoughtful_persons must run around like chickens with their head cut off, catching the back-end of every "investment collectibles" fad.

I see these fools month in and month out on Heritage, reselling the book that they bought for $10K (not including BP) at $8K (not counting fees) and making off like railroad bandits.