• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Will CBG Cover Controversial Issues?

184 posts in this topic

From their answers it just reinforces my opinion that CBG is nothing more than an industry bullhorn and is not to be taken as a source of serious journalism.

Has it ever been much more than that? Seriously, I've been an on-again-off-again subscriber (mostly on) since 1975, but "hard-hitting" was never what they were about. Still, I'm disappointed at their lack of action regarding this issue. Perhaps several of you guys who are more knowledgable about CGC and these issues should write in to Oh So? and hopefully get printed - they do seem to tackle some of the more controversial issues that way. For example, they posted a lot of anti-slabbing letters back when CGC first started.

Ray

There are a few more CBG responses now posted. I'll let you all be the judge as to how you interpret them.

These guys just don't get it. No one is asking them to personally investigate the charges against Jason Ewert, et al. -- just report the FACTS to the collecting community at large, e.g. CGC Has Banned Ewert, Will Re-examine his books free of charge, etc. Where is the liability in reporting an official CGC company announcement and policy? I can understand being journalistically cautious, but these guys take it to the extreme. frustrated.gif

Good thing they weren't in charge of the Washington Post during the Nixon administration. We'd just be hearing about Watergate in 2005 after Mark Felt (Deep Throat) decided to publicly confirm everything. foreheadslap.gif

Zip, you should post this on their boards. Certainly they can report on the fact that CGC is offering a free re-examination.

Ewert books continue to be disseminated through the collecting community with the passive assistance of publications like CBG and other sources.

Of course reporting on the story would also alert the wider community that certain forms of trimming can not be detected.

Red

Absolutely, CBG is part of the problem.

Looks like the current answer to the question in the title in NO. The reasoning applied? We dont have the time or the staff / resources. Looks like we can count on more Puff pieces in CBG in the near future. insane.gif

Right now, every price-guide section minute we have is committed to getting the price guide itself out.

Why bother? . . . It's not like anyone uses it insane.gif27_laughing.gif

great work Awe, Mark and Hook.

It was interesting to read their comments. I just love how STILL they trot out the 'not enough staff" excuse whenever they need it. True or not, Maggie has fallen back on it for 20 years to explain mistakes, omissions and laziness. Too bad they pass for a professional trade publication in our sorry little hobby. They are useless. They used to be good only for their ads, but those are of no value being a monthly.

I still get it, but Im down to a minute or two of thumbing thru it. Did you know that even their Ebay results are wrong and useless? They never tell you if a book was PLOD or not --- you have to guess from the final prices.

sorry to be so negative...

great work Awe, Mark and Hook.

It was interesting to read their comments. I just love how STILL they trot out the 'not enough staff" excuse whenever they need it. True or not, Maggie has fallen back on it for 20 years to explain mistakes, omissions and laziness. Too bad they pass for a professional trade publication in our sorry little hobby. They are useless. They used to be good only for their ads, but those are of no value being a monthly.

I still get it, but Im down to a minute or two of thumbing thru it. Did you know that even their Ebay results are wrong and useless? They never tell you if a book was PLOD or not --- you have to guess from the final prices.

sorry to be so negative...

Agree with everything you said. I let me subscription run out and have not looked back. thumbsup2.gif

Nor do I see the true relevance of listing books that did not meet reserve. It is not an accurate depiction of the market value of the book.

Unfortunately the magazine seems to have regressed back to a high school audience mentality with its focus on game cards, new comics and other issues I personally have no interest in. I probably could not care about 90%-95% of the content, and I really don't understand the focus on the price guide pages when no one I know or have ever seen uses them.

I do wish there was a publication that was geared to the more sophisticated collector/investor.

Screw print. The internet is where it's at. Cheaper, faster updating, wider reaching.

more advertising money in print. confused-smiley-013.gif\

for now

Screw print. The internet is where it's at. Cheaper, faster updating, wider reaching.

more advertising money in print. confused-smiley-013.gif\

for now

But the point of this discussion is how to get these issues out to a wider collecting audience, not to make money. So the internet is surely the way to go on that front. 893scratchchin-thumb.gif