• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Will CBG Cover Controversial Issues?

184 posts in this topic

Let's see, I believe most states have atleast one major city in them right? I would venture that at some point during the year, they have a comic convention of some kind.

Arkansas has a mini-con quarterly in Little Rock. That's it. The nearest one of any size is the Kansas City. Anyone know of one that is closer, please let me know.

looks like the case is re-closed over on the CBG site... Maggie has sung and that all she wrote. Makes perfect sense from their point of view, I guess, but pretty useless overall. Looks like we ARE just an elitist bunch over here....

looks like the case is re-closed over on the CBG site... Maggie has sung and that all she wrote. Makes perfect sense from their point of view, I guess, but pretty useless overall. Looks like we ARE just an elitist bunch over here....

No I don't see it that way at all...

The fact CBG needs to do better in their coverage of issues has been made. As a publication they've made, quite clearly, their problems with reporting pertinent, important news stories known...

I may not like the answer given but their answer is better than thinking they are just ignorant of issues affecting the hobby...

The thread has shed light on the internal process evident at CBG and at very least put them on notice that their LACK of coverage is noticed. And as a publication noted for their comics coverage, they are on notice for that lack of telling the whole story in regards to whats going on in this hobby...

Jim

Well stated. thumbsup2.gif And I also agree that they get points for responding in the best way they could. May not agree with it, but at least they're not afraid of discussing it.

Red

As for the 99% who have supposedly never seen a CGC comic in person...I guess they've never been to a comic convention in recent years as I can always find more than a few dealers with slabs on their walls. I would be willing to bet that estimate is way off.

I've only been to one con in my life and I've been collecting for 25 years. When you live where I do it's harder to find a collector that's been to a con then one that hasen't.

Let's see, I believe most states have atleast one major city in them right?

Yes.

I would venture that at some point during the year, they have a comic convention of some kind.

Nope. Not in NM.

I guarantee you the 99% figure is an exaggeration.

I'll tell you what. I'll print up a poll and ask the guy at the LCS to leave it on his counter for a week. There will be three questions on the poll.

1. Have you ever seen a CGC comic in person?

2. Have you ever touched a CGC comic?

3. Have you ever bought or sold a CGC comic?

I'm willing to concede that my 99% is a very slight exaggeration. At the same time I'm willing to make a cash wager the poll will show that 95% have never bought or sold a CGC comic. I'm willing to put my money where my mouth is when it comes to knowing the buyers in the market area I've lived and collected in for 25 years.

I would highly recommend the Baltimore con if you can find a way.The Geppi comic art museum will be newly opened and the convention itself has a lot of old comics for sale.There's plenty of room to maneuver and plenty of guests.Prices for rooms aren't too horrible and there's a real nice aquarium and there's always Orioles baseball.It's not San Diego,but that's probably why I like it so much,as I go to shows for old comics.GOD BLESS...

-jimbo(a friend of jesus) thumbsup2.gif

Second jimjum's Baltimore recommendation. After WW Philly, Baltimore is my favorite show of the year. It is VERY well run, comic only focussed, draws a lot of dealers, is at a great time of year, is in a great facility and has a lot to do over a weekend. I love the Baltimore show, and it is a highlight of the convention season every year for me.

Second jimjum's Baltimore recommendation. After WW Philly, Baltimore is my favorite show of the year. It is VERY well run, comic only focussed, draws a lot of dealers, is at a great time of year, is in a great facility and has a lot to do over a weekend. I love the Baltimore show, and it is a highlight of the convention season every year for me.

For those of you planning to come to Baltimore this year, note that the Yankees are in town that weekend, and hotels are already filling up.

I'll tell you what. I'll print up a poll and ask the guy at the LCS to leave it on his counter for a week. There will be three questions on the poll.

I'm willing to concede that my 99% is a very slight exaggeration. At the same time I'm willing to make a cash wager the poll will show that 95% have never bought or sold a CGC comic. I'm willing to put my money where my mouth is when it comes to knowing the buyers in the market area I've lived and collected in for 25 years.

Excellent idea, OG. Everyone should take it to their LCS and see what the results are. I'm sure it would be very interesting. I would change the questions slightly though.

1. Do you know about CGC and it's products?

2. Have you ever seen a CGC product in person?

3. Have you ever bought a CGC comics?

4. Would you submit a comic to CGC?

Excellent idea, OG. Everyone should take it to their LCS and see what the results are. I'm sure it would be very interesting. I would change the questions slightly though.

Sounds good. I'll be going to my LCS this afternoon for my weekly fix and I'll take the survey with me then. Anyone else have input for the survey?

Up until I found these boards a few (six?) months ago, my responses would have been the following - and I live in Los Angeles and have gone to the SDCC for nearly 30 straight years now...

Yes, but only through CBG coverage and their presence at SDCC

Only at SDCC

Never (and I still haven't)

Only have in the last two months.

Good tip, though I almost always stay about 15 minutes outside and drive in. low stress drive in.

For those of you planning to come to Baltimore this year, note that the Yankees are in town that weekend, and hotels are already filling up.

I think this survey idea has merit....however the poll will be skewed according to the preference of the LCS owners.

For Example: In my area there are 4 LCSs within an hour's drive.

Stores #1 & #3 - Knows about CGC, yet hates the concept with a passion...will not buy/send/or sell a CGC book in their store. Will not display a CGC book in their store...basically thinks that slabbing is the death of comics. - So what is the likelyhood that their steady customers know much about slabbing. confused-smiley-013.gif

Store #2 - Has a store and internet presence. They buy and sell CGC books each week. They also have submitted a number of books for slabbing. Finally they have a back wall dedicated for showcasing slabbed books. - So basically anyone who walks into this store has been exposed to CGC...and probably have a positive outlook on slabbing.

Store #3 - Is a new store. They specialize in gouging the uninformed. They sell CGC books...but they tout and price books like a 9.0 Copper book as the 2nd coming and charge way above GPA prices. The newbies bite and later find out they got burnt. This is the kind of store that also prices their back issues at NM regardless of the condition(yes, this type of store is still out there). They are located in an upscale community with plenty of soccer moms and the accompanying soccer dad money. - So what flavor will be left in their CGC buyers mouths when they find out what that New Teen Titans #1 in 9.0 was really worth.

I think this survey idea has merit....however the poll will be skewed according to the preference of the LCS owners.

There's only one LCS in Santa Fe so this wont be an issue here.