• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Has anyone ever had the Restoration reversed ?

15 posts in this topic

Just curious if anyone has ever had color restoration, seals, etc. removed from a restored book.. If so, can you post before and after scans...and/or describe the results that were attained

Just ask Chris Friesen....he's been doing a lot of that sort of thing for the last few years. smirk.gif

I have never personally requested it be done, but I do have books where someone had it done.

The More Fun #52 CGC 5.5 is formerly a restored CGC 6.5. You can find before and after scans on Heritage's website, and the 5.5 is on my site. The removed restoration was glue (or according to others tape residue) so you really can't tell the difference.

I am possibly considering having a book's restoration work removed by Susan Ciccioni at The Restoration Lab.

Thanks for replying Mark.. I was curious to see if anyone has every had slight color touch removed. For example; Let's say a GA book is graded cgc 8 (SP) with minor color touch on the spine. If the color touch was removed and resubmitted, would the drop the grade to 6 or 7, or lower?

Thanks for replying Mark.. I was curious to see if anyone has every had slight color touch removed. For example; Let's say a GA book is graded cgc 8 (SP) with minor color touch on the spine. If the color touch was removed and resubmitted, would the drop the grade to 6 or 7, or lower?

Even if it dropped it to a mid 6 it would still be worth it depending on the cost and provided it doesn't leave glaring marks where the color touch was removed. I'm looking at picking up a nice GA key soon and having color touch removed professionally.

Probably very dependent on the specific book and the degree of color touch. But, as mentioned above, it may very well be worth it from a financial standpoint.

On other books, I wouldn't do it. I sold Burntboy my Mask #1 CGC 8.0 with slight color touch. The book is gorgeous. LB Cole cover. You can't see where the color touch is at all. I would never mess with that cover.

Technically though, would removing restoration be considered restoration itself?

Well let me put it this way.I would expect to see in the books notes that the restoration was removed. I know what your going to say.How do I even know the resto was removed? Well I only buy Cgc graded high end books.If I for example buy the Cgc graded Mile High More Fun #52 [graded at 9.2] which I know has very slight work on it as it says on the label and it comes back regraded as 9.0 lets say, with no comments on the book at all, Im going to know the resto was removed.You cant hide it if the book was already previously Cgc graded.An example of this is the Mile High Superman #1.That book was previously restored and is now unrestored.Everyone knows it and Ill bet my bottom dollar that because the resto was removed this book will get no where near what a true virgin Supes #1 in 8.0 can get[Even with the Mile High designation].Im betting that a clean 8.0 can get 300 to 350k.So Cgc graded books that had resto and were resubbed with no resto, you have to say the resto was removed or your going to look foolish.In these cases it should be noted on the label. I realize that raw books are more difficult.

Would removing restoration be considered restoration? .The price you get will tell you what people consider it.

I do believe that where it was known that a book was restored and it is now unrestored,it will hurt the value of a book to a degree or maybe more than that.I do not speak in absolutes! This is only my opinion.If im right than I guess its just more reason for the raw guys not to disclose.

Yeah, i'm actually curious about what all the crazy resto-fanatics have to say about this? Is removing resoration on a book, and i mean COMPLETELY removing it, restoration in itself?

Yeah, i'm actually curious about what all the crazy resto-fanatics have to say about this? Is removing resoration on a book, and i mean COMPLETELY removing it, restoration in itself?

Of course it is technically "restoration" to remove color touch. The question is whether it matters, once you've finished.

Let's say you have a book that is restored -- An Amazing Fantasy #15 apparent 9.4, with a small amount of color touch on the upper right corner of the front cover. Say a 1/16 inch by 1/16 inch area where an abraded corner was colored in.

Then let's say you neatly slice off that corner, leaving a 1/16th inch chip out of the corner. Let's say the AF#15 now grades out at 7.5 or so, and there is no color touch or other restorative work present on the book.

Does anyone honestly believe that this book is any less valuable than another AF#15 VF- 7.5 with a corner chip that was caused by normal handling along the way, or during production? I don't. I am sure that there is a very small subset of people who might disagree, but I don't think that there are enough people like that to affect the value of a book.

As another example: let's say you have a Detective Comics #1 that was a 9.2 with a small spine stress and that someone painted over the stress line with a dot of professional color touch (acrylic paint). Let's say the book is an apparent 9.6 after the dab of color touch is applied.

Along comes Mr. Resto Remover with a dinner fork. Mr. Resto Remover takes the dinner fork and flakes off the piece of dried acrylic paint neatly, leaving nothing behind. The stress line now looks exactly as it did before and there is no foreign material on the book. The book is now a 9.2 again and gets encapsulated CGC 9.2 unrestored. Does this affect the value of the book as a 9.2? I don't think so. Do I care enough about this that I'd get upset if someone didn't tell me that there used to be a small dab of acrylic paint there that was flaked off by hand? Nope.

Isn't restoration removal a form of restoration?

In the example noted above about a corner with color touch up due to abrasion,

I just don't get the mindset that one must have to cut off the corner 1/16" or any other amount, to "unrestore a book". The same goes for scraping and abrading a book to remove some foreign material, such as glue or color.

Any of these slight P restored books with glue on the spine etc or extremely minor color touch seem to be in a world of their own with the slight chance that CGC will some day give them a blue lable with notation of minor glue or color touch. Resub on a good day?

How is the existing minor "restoration" any worse, than scuffing up a book to make it look worse and "raise the value and number of potential buyers".

There's got to be something Freudian involved here.