• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Ultimate Spider Man 40 - Bindery flaw?

39 posts in this topic

Does your store have any other perfect copies available? If so, grab one or two and I'll buy them for cover plus shipping (as long as you don't ship like my friend from my previous post in the General Discussions)

Does your store have any other perfect copies available? If so, grab one or two and I'll buy them for cover plus shipping (as long as you don't ship like my friend from my previous post in the General Discussions)

I dont knwo and I wont be able to get there for a while. It was one of the last copies left so I doubt there will be any left.

That seller gets the best Ultimate Spidermans. That prescreening is the way to go if you want only 9.8, 9.9, 10.0 Looks like he didn't get a 9.9 or 10.0 this time.

I guarantee you he didn't prescreen these... The book shipped on May 7th, and he's got pictures of his 9.8 copies on May 19th. That's TWELVE days, counting shipping both to and from New Hamphire to Florida.... Even if he overnighted the books both ways, you're talking 6 business days at CGC...

That is NOT a pre-screen submission...

I'm thinking it's a regular submission and possibly CGC's plate is clear for moderns? Considering they probably had very few submiissions at $19.00 a pop, and its not convention season, they may be burning the midnight oil. tongue.gif

Could this be part of that retailer preview deal, where you can get copies of a book a week before they are due to ship?

When did CGc make that announcement that they were dropping the rates back to $15? If they shipped the same day this book came out, and all factors just meshed, there is a small possibility this could happen. I recall rickdogg talking about a real fast submission, not 8 days, but somewhere around 10? and he is in Cali!

I'm thinking it's a regular submission and possibly CGC's plate is clear for moderns? Considering they probably had very few submiissions at $19.00 a pop, and its not convention season, they may be burning the midnight oil.

That's possible... but if you are quoting 20 business days for moderns and 40 for economies, and you're a month behind on economies, why do these that week at all? Why spend the time on moderns to ship them out in 8 days when you're a month behind on economies (which generate more revenue for you anyway?

I understand they have to allocate resources, and that even if you ARE behind on a particular tier you still work on a certain number of books from other tiers... but this seems odd to me...

Could this be part of that retailer preview deal, where you can get copies of a book a week before they are due to ship?

No, big chain retailers can get all their books one day early (to give them time to process them and distribute them among their various stores). But the First Look books are just one copy per account. And Wolverine 1 was not chosen as a First Look book that week.

If they shipped the same day this book came out, and all factors just meshed, there is a small possibility this could happen. I recall rickdogg talking about a real fast submission, not 8 days, but somewhere around 10? and he is in Cali!

I can see that happening from time to time... But the fact that they have these so quickly and that they submit "600 books a month" according to their auctions, it looked like special treatment to me... That's fine if CGC does that, and rewards heavy submitters with faster turn-times. But it seems like something that should be semi-public knowledge...

I'm thinking it's a regular submission and possibly CGC's plate is clear for moderns? Considering they probably had very few submiissions at $19.00 a pop, and its not convention season, they may be burning the midnight oil.

Well, on a whim, I called to check on the status of my copies of these books... and was told to expect them the second week of June...

Gemma confirmed something I had always assumed... which is that big volume submitters can cut a deal to get their books done faster. She said there wasn't any specific threshold (not like being a Powerseller where there's a direct plateau). But that it was based on the consistent volume of submissions...

I had always suspected this... and it frankly makes sense. Every business rewards their best customers... But it was nice to get confirmation of it. It may wind up affecting which books I submit, since with some marginal books there is really only value in being one of the first few with 9.8's. And if folks have a 3 week headstart on you, it makes it kind of rough...

Or maybe I'll join the club and start submitting 1,000 books a month...

then you will all

TREMBLE BEFORE THE MAJESTY THAT IS

LIGHTHOUSE

or not...

there are 3 9.8s on ebay right now of USM #40. $33

Yes... but none of these are from your typical submitters...

As I posted above, the bulk of the 9.8 submissions won't be back to the owners for at least two more weeks. The only people who have them now are the people who have special deals with CGC... The book has only been out 14 days after all...

If the golden boys always get 10-20 9.8's and the rest of us add another 60-80 (which seems to be the typical count lately, other than on issues like 33), you can't really speculate on the total count from seeing the first ten copies...

I really think there will be fewer 40's than the other issues, based on talking to dealers around the country about how ugly their copies looked... Does that mean it's a $500 book? Of course not... But there will be fewer of these than the surrounding issues...

No, but it could be one of those "off-printings" like GI Joe 2, or USM 5, where the low supply of nice copies makes it more valuable.

BTW, do Ultimate Spidey's use a different cover paper now than they did on the first 10-12 issues? It seems to be more of a gloss than a card cover, but is that my imagination?

Yes they do... changed the cover stock around issue 26 or so...

And it's a topic that has been much discussed, here and elsewhere... Marvel assured retailers back in January that by March all the Ultimate titles would go back to the old stock... but it hasn't happened yet... mad.gif

I only order 25 each month, as we're only open for business at the

our retail 'barn' three days a week for our older customers.

I had the same problem on issues 38,39,40. Certainly reminds me of

the days at the Diamond warehouse, when the pullers would cut the

band strap off the bundles, snag off the top and bottom five or six, and

pitch them into the 'STAR SYSTEM' boxes. I'd show up at the Houston

warehouse about an hour before the plane arrived with the order, and

hob-nob with the good folks there, and 'supervise' my order being pulled.

Then I'd drive accross town to the CapCity warehouse and BS with Ed

while my order was quite literally pulled in front of my eyes. Stacks of

fresh opened boxes and strapped stacks to pick from. NEATO!!!

Now I'm persona non gratia at Diamond for not ordering large orders,

so, I take what my sub-vendor will send. Chaps me occasionally, but,

I certainly can't see opening a larger venue just to get a direct pipeline.

Anyone else having this problem???