• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Beautiful FF#1 CGC 8.0 SIGNED (?) BY JACK KIRBY Offered By EsquireComics

38 posts in this topic

One of the holy grails of the Silver Age, and predominantly responsible for the revival of Marvel Comics and superheros, this beauty is ranked third amongst Silver Age titles by Overstreet. Certainly doesn't hurt that a major motion picture was released last year with sequels to follow!

Prices vary widely on this book. It is very uncommon, perhaps one can say scarce, in high grade and it is not often to see one on the market. During 2004-2005, several issues sold ranging from $19,000 to $25,000. An identically graded copy currently on Comiclink is seeking nearly $26,000. A 9.4 copy sold for over $111,000 four years ago (which seemingly makes my offered #1 appear relatively inexpensive)!!!

But none of the other books, to my knowledge, offer what this copy does: signed by the FF creator himself, the master Jack Kirby!!! Unfortunately, the signing was not done in the presence of CGC so no verification exists. However, CGC does note the signature on the label so no doubt they compared it to other known Kirby signatures.

This copy was actually given away as the Grand prize in a sweepstakes run by Activision. Luckily the current owner saved the book during the flooding caused last year by Hurricane Katrina!

This book is going nowhere but up!

Overstreet 2005 Guide: VF 8.0 $9,200; VF/NM 9.0 $22,100; NM- 9.2 $35,000.

PM or e-mail me if interested!

FantasticFour1.jpg

FantasticFour1back.jpg

That is the dirtiest/stained 8.0 I ever saw frown.gif

Unfortunately I don't know what the scanner is picking up in enhancing the smudges or to what extent the holder itself is contributing to the appearance. I only have these scans. One of the problems of consignment.

Of course, every purchase is refundable - including CGC books! thumbsup2.gif893applaud-thumb.gif

"However, CGC does note the signature on the label so no doubt they compared it to other known Kirby signatures."

Unlikely. It's a great book, Mark, you don't need to oversell it! 893applaud-thumb.gif

That is the dirtiest/stained 8.0 I ever saw frown.gif

Unfortunately I don't know what the scanner is picking up in enhancing the smudges or to what extent the holder itself is contributing to the appearance. I only have these scans. One of the problems of consignment.

Of course, every purchase is refundable - including CGC books! thumbsup2.gif893applaud-thumb.gif

I hope those are coffee stains on the slab. frown.gif

"However, CGC does note the signature on the label so no doubt they compared it to other known Kirby signatures."

Unlikely. It's a great book, Mark, you don't need to oversell it! 893applaud-thumb.gif

You don't think they would check at all? I wouldn't think that if some little kid wrote Jack Kirby or Stan Lee on the comic it would get noted on the label. I should probably ask CGC.

No, those stains are certainly on that book. Wonder who the buyer got it from??????

Activision. The video game company. They gave it away as a Grand prize in some contest.

I didn't mean that, where did Activision get it I meant. I didn't really expect an answer but I gotcha smile.gif

No, those stains are certainly on that book. Wonder who the buyer got it from??????

Activision. The video game company. They gave it away as a Grand prize in some contest.

I didn't mean that, where did Activision get it I meant. I didn't really expect an answer but I gotcha smile.gif

Oh, sorry. foreheadslap.gif Here I was thinking you were dumb for not reading what I wrote, poke2.gif, but it is I who has egg on my face for doubting you. boo.gif

I don't know where Activision got it from. I tried to look around on the web but found no reference.

Anyone else know?

You don't think they would check at all? I wouldn't think that if some little kid wrote Jack Kirby or Stan Lee on the comic it would get noted on the label. I should probably ask CGC.

I'm sure they'd be able to tell you if the name of a creator appeared at first glance to be similar to known authentic signatures, but it's my understanding that it would not be notated on the label any differently. As far as I know, CGC makes no attempt to verify the authenticity of any signature. I guess it's possible they might denote particularly poor penmanship as "writing on first page" and/or simply downgrade the book for damage. I'd be curious to know the details of this policy as well. Let me know what you find out! hi.gif

Looks like foxing on the back cover to me. I have books with foxing just like that. Front cover spots along the right edge and the spine could be foxing as well.

Looks to me like aging / foxing was the limiting factor to the book, since I can't see any surface wear or even corner wear to account for the grade.

Thanks for sharing, Mark. Will you take 500 pre-code books for it?? insane.gif

I''m 99% sure I know this book. It used to sit in a old label 7.5 slab and was offered for sale by Bob Storms at least a year ago. Mark, if you want to know more about the particular copy, BlazingBob might be able to help you out.

The "funk" along the spine turned me off to it then too.... frown.gif