• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

CGC FORUM TOP BRONZE AGE COVERS - #19

47 posts in this topic

Second: DC 100 Page Spectacular #4

Not to pick on you Timulty-- and this one probably is in the top 20, so we'll no doubt get a chance to revisit it, but...

What's the big hairy deal about that cover? confused-smiley-013.gif Don't get me wrong, I love the first-ever 100 Page Super-Spec as a collectible, and the contents are first rate, but why go ga-ga over a cover of a bunch of costumed folks posed standing still?

Aside from the mood the lone figure evokes, it represents to me, what Bronze Age Horror is all about. Perhaps it is a reminder about childhood. It is The Bogeyman coming out of the closet into the light or The Monster Under The Bed surfacing for children to eat. It evokes visceral fear without being gratuitous. A very good case where less is more.

I understood that, so then wouldn't this be an accurate reflection of the forum favorites?

Maybe, but it's definitely not a good cross-section of the general collector base. It seems that all of the DC horror collectors congregate here, and I think this will be borne out in the voting.

No big deal, as it is still interesting to see what the forum picks will be.

Don't get me wrong, I fully expect DC BA Horror to have decent representation in this contest, given the quality of the work that was done on the covers. I just didn't think this one was one of the better DC BA Horror covers.

Which DC BA Horror covers did you nominate? confused.gif

I didn't nominate any of the DC BA Horror covers. Didn't have too, my favorites were already nominated.

Second: DC 100 Page Spectacular #4

Not to pick on you Timulty-- and this one probably is in the top 20, so we'll no doubt get a chance to revisit it, but...

What's the big hairy deal about that cover? confused-smiley-013.gif Don't get me wrong, I love the first-ever 100 Page Super-Spec as a collectible, and the contents are first rate, but why go ga-ga over a cover of a bunch of costumed folks posed standing still?

Aside from the mood the lone figure evokes, it represents to me, what Bronze Age Horror is all about. Perhaps it is a reminder about childhood. It is The Bogeyman coming out of the closet into the light or The Monster Under The Bed surfacing for children to eat. It evokes visceral fear without being gratuitous. A very good case where less is more.

thumbsup2.gif