• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Hulk 181 "Variant" Cover?

28 posts in this topic

893scratchchin-thumb.gif Looks to me like the Blue went first and the red is still bright on that ASM #149 so is that one a printing problem or Fade?

Likely a printing defect, assuming it's real.

All colors do not fade equally.

The reds will go first. The black, blue and brown will hold up longer

893scratchchin-thumb.gif Looks to me like the Blue went first and the red is still bright on that ASM #149 so is that one a printing problem or Fade?

The ASM is a printing screw up, not a fade. Looks like the cyan ink ran out.

See how what should be green is yellow? Yellow + cyan = green, hence, green - cyan = yellow.

Here's the response I got when I sent him a message about the fact that it's probably UV fading:

Thanks for the input. I hadn't thought of that, but I have been in business since 1987 and looking at the book without the covering, it appears to me that it is a printing error. There is no fading on any of the other colors and all the edges are nice and white. To fade the red almost completly, it would seem to me that the other colors would have to have faded somewhat. All the other colors are vibrant, with out any fading. Also if it was on a shelf with other books covering it, there would be no bleeding on the sides, just a straight line. Not trying to be a, know it all, cause when you have been in the business for any length of time, you realize there is no one who does know it all. I am just going by my experience in seeing thousands of faded comics and this in my opinion is not faded. I have had several other dealers look at it and from all around the world, at the San Diego comic con, and they all agreed with me. Anyways I am not trying to scam anyone out of anything and have a very good reputation. I really do appriciate the input and if you would like to talk on the phone my number is listed below. Or if you would like I can call you from my business, as I have unlimited long distance. You seem very knowledgable and I think I would enjoy that conversation. Thanks again for your input.

Roy J. Gallagher

Collector's Choice

{phone number withheld}

You don't have to edit the phone number, it's right there in the auction.

The seller said "There is no fading on any of the other colors and all the edges are nice and white. To fade the red almost completly, it would seem to me that the other colors would have to have faded somewhat.".

He must be blind, just look at The Hulk's pants.

You don't have to edit the phone number, it's right there in the auction.

The seller said "There is no fading on any of the other colors and all the edges are nice and white. To fade the red almost completly, it would seem to me that the other colors would have to have faded somewhat.".

That's the purple turned blue because the red is gone.

purple - red = blue

same goes for wolvie's arm (pink - red = white). he is correct in saying that the only color missing is red. the question is whether other pigments would have started to fade before the red fade got that bad.

Yes, red pigments fade quick, but it takes forever for some to go, if ever. As I've stated before, I left some pop cans out on the patio all summer long (Mr Lazy here) and I was amazed that the reds faded to a yellow, and how well the greens and blues held up.

The Coke cans were yellow, but a Sprite stil showed very nice yellows and greens. Other brands showed fading most prominently in the red areas, or in colors that included red.

To me, that cover looks like a Coke can in a stack, that only had a portion of the surface facing the sun. And his assertion of an "uneven fade" being impossible is not even close, as nothing (in real life) fades with an edge like a ruler.