• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Do You Think A Comics Related Memorabilia Forum Would Fly?

Do You think That Comics Related Memorabilia Would Merit Its Own Forum?  

168 members have voted

1. 1. Do You think That Comics Related Memorabilia Would Merit Its Own Forum?

35 posts in this topic

I believe this would be a successful forum but I figure a poll might give the System Administrators some basis to decide.

At first, I was trying to figure out what the heck you were talking about? I saw you're thread title and thought your poll was the same title at first. 27_laughing.gif I'm sitting here thinking, duh, we're on a comics related forum and it's doing quite well.

I think it would be neat to have a comics related memorabilia section. I think it's been pretty cool to see related collectibles lately on here and would welcome that.

I voted yes 'cause i collect the stuff, but i'm not sure that there's enough general interest for it to fly. It seems to me a dedicated thread or two might be enough.

I collect everything related to Superman....does this apply?

COMICS,POSTERS,ARTWORK,CELS,TOYS,PROPS

I've noticed that, Action 1 laugh.gif

Would be interesting to hear what your personal attachment is to Superman, Action 1? I mean we're both very similar. Substitute Superman for Spider-Man and hey presto! Would love to hear you're story.

Would be interesting to hear what your personal attachment is to Superman, Action 1? I mean we're both very similar. Substitute Superman for Spider-Man and hey presto! Would love to hear you're story.

It all started for me with George Reeves Superman show[1953 to 57]

I watched it on reruns on WPIX[channel 11]for you new York guys.i watched it in the early and mid 1960s.That show completely hooked me.I am from a middle class family so I got a nice allowance and spent it all on Superman toys.I was not obsessed with Superman but I did love him.I remember fights in school over people[kids]telling me Batman could kick Supermans butt.Really.This started fights.Win a few,lose a few.By the time I was 12 I was in love and supey flew out the window[so to speak]from 12 to 18 it was girls girls girls.18 to 24 college.I majored in anatomical art.I drew figures from life.Started drawin alot of Superman too because he was so defined in comics.It helped my drawings.Graduated from college and went to work in the home improvement business[very often life does not make sence]It was a family business 50 years est,so I started doing well right away.

have to be continued[a slight emergency,its ok though]

Like I said.I had a wonderful childhood.I as an adult now was looking for a way to revisit those wonderful times.I found this again in Superman.Visiting Jim Hanleys Universe[a comicbook store in Staten island new york.] Re-introduced me to Superman again.Now 25 I wasnt only just interested in Superman again.I was interested in his history even more. I began reading many many books on the history of Superman.I read all of the golden age early issues that were availible in reprint form[there were not many back than]At this point I started back issues] around action 150 and up...As I became more financially sucessful I was able to lower the issue number I could afford.I had quite a bit of Superman comics by 1991 but no key books.In 1991 I finally made the big plunge. I walked into Metropolis comics and met a guy named Stephen Fishler.I simply asked him if he had a copy of Action Comics #1 to sell.It was a good -plus copy [unrestored] I paid 6000.00 dollars for.This purchase ignited a passion in me to collect golden age comics.I just fell in love with the beauty of the golden age comicbook art covers.Not just Superman,but all the major goldenage comicbooks.I wanted to do something very special.I wanted to collect every #1 golden age comicbook ever printed.I never reached that lofty goal, But in 10 years from 1991 to 2001 I did own the overstreet top 100 goldenage comicbooks.[Every one of the keys]I also had the top 40 or so silver age books.

Having felt I had done all I wanted to do In comicbooks particularly with Superman I said to myself what other things can I collect besides comics that is related to Superman.Scanning through ebay in the mid 90s is how I met The dentist as we call him here on these boards] He was selling what I considered at the time to be the holy grail of Superman collectibles[George reeves Superman costume]My childhood t.v idol.I had to have it! I simply would not be outbid was my mindset.

I won,I won, I won.Oh the party I had that night.I owned George reeves original Superman costume and an Action 1.I was on my way to assembling the greatest Superman collection in the North east United states.

I will continue

Having felt I had done all I wanted to do In comicbooks particularly with Superman I said to myself what other things can I collect besides comics that is related to Superman.Scanning through ebay in the mid 90s is how I met The dentist as we call him here on these boards] He was selling what I considered at the time to be the holy grail of Superman collectibles[George reeves Superman costume]My childhood t.v idol.I had to have it! I simply would not be outbid was my mindset.

I won,I won, I won.Oh the party I had that night.I owned George reeves original Superman costume and an Action 1.I was on my way to assembling the greatest Superman collection in the North east United states.

I will continue

Thanks Action 1! It's such a great story. Please finish it when you can. Actually this deserves it's own thread in the General forum.

hail.gif

My feeling is that it would give others a chance to gain some expertise in this collecting area. Also, placing it in one spot makes it easier to find etc. etc. I knew about Action1's collection quite awhile ago because it was posted in The Gold Forum. Since it seems not everyone can afford or is not interested in collecting GA comics, this to me allows those people to see collections from all eras of comics collecting. I really see no downside to this.