• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

CGC FORUM TOP BRONZE AGE COVERS - #13

34 posts in this topic

Unlucky #13 was actually lucky for me 'cause a book I voted for and nominated finally made the list. Its Neal Adams again with some amazing work on a non-mainstream title.

DC Special 6 has slowly crept into being my favorite Neal Adams Cover. When it came time to vote I placed this ahead of Batman 232, which I have always considered my favorite Adams and that shocked even me 27_laughing.gif. Here's why. The juxtapositioning of Science Fiction and Western elements with two huge images (one in the foreground, one in the background) sees Adams get so much expression, detail and emotion into such a small space. I also believe this to be his homage 'tip of the hat' to the EC series Weird Science/WEird Science Fantasy my favorite Pre-Code comic. jbud73

DCSpecial6.jpg

Love Adams, love the Tomahawk western covers, impartial to his All-Star Western covers, I do like the theme of this cover (any sci-fi western movies??), but on the whole it just doesn't do it for me.

I'd love to see the complete logo-less artwork though, the logo box is just overhwelming on this one. 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

Ya I agree Mike, DC should have just left Adams alone, similar to Kaluta and 'Tec 423. But I still love the image of this book and the foreground/background competing elements. Plus the theme just screams EC to me. cloud9.gif

Love Adams, love the Tomahawk western covers, impartial to his All-Star Western covers, I do like the theme of this cover (any sci-fi western movies??), but on the whole it just doesn't do it for me.

I'd love to see the complete logo-less artwork though, the logo box is just overhwelming on this one. 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

Thats a great point Dr B. There are a few of the Tomahawks that I would rate higher than this cover. 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

Thats a great point Dr B. There are a few of the Tomahawks that I would rate higher than this cover. 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

Yes and they are all 1968 / 1969 covers as I told the people who tried to nominate them grin.gif

Yes and they are all 1968 / 1969 covers as I told the people who tried to nominate them grin.gif

sumo.gifsumo.gifsumo.gifsumo.gif

You know, I was looking over some of my Phantom Stranger covers, and was amazed that NONE of them were even nominated. There is some good stuff in there, especially some of the Adams and Kaluta work.

Then I pop on here and see this bizarro monstrosity from a late-night drive-in feature - that HUGE RED TITLE totally ruins the image and the retro "an adventure to stagger the imagination" puts this comic directly in the late-40's or early-50's, where it should have stayed.

Looking at this cover is like someone screaming in my ear, "IT"S COWBOYS AND ROCKET SHIPS - GET IT????" frustrated.gif

I am the first to admit there are some kick-hass DC covers out there, but I've seen only one (greggy's) so far.

I am the first to admit there are some kick-hass DC covers out there, but so far I've seen one (greggy's) so far.

Definitely the best DC cover to appear so far.

You know, I was looking over some of my Phantom Stranger covers, and was amazed that NONE of them were even nominated. There is some good stuff in there, especially some of the Adams and Kaluta work.

I thought the same thing when the Kaluta 'Tec came up at #20 and Jason mentioned it was the only cover of his to get nominated. Where was PS #26 on the nominations list??? confused-smiley-013.gif

I thought the same thing when the Kaluta 'Tec came up at #20 and Jason mentioned it was the only cover of his to get nominated. Where was PS #26 on the nominations list??? confused-smiley-013.gif

Well, why didn't you nominate it? confused-smiley-013.gif

Well, why didn't you nominate it? confused-smiley-013.gif

I wasn't going to waste a nomination on a DC book. 27_laughing.gifpoke2.gif