• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

CGC FORUM TOP BRONZE AGE COVERS - #9

66 posts in this topic

Cover #9 continues the bias of the key issue to the poll...

I do like this cover from the story/shock value it gives you, and the center image of Spidey and the Goblin locking horns is really great, but on the whole it's just OK for me. The run of Spidey from the death issues through this one are really good, and you knew it was coming...you just didn't know when (kinda like we know the GG is coming back to the back screen). There's no doubt that the moment you saw this cover on the stands, you were just dying to read it!

Hate to pile on but yep, not my favorite bronze ASM. It seems like the cover started getting way too busy, and then the colorist tried to "save" it by using a really garish palette. I actually don't mind the color scheme, but it's a pretty busy cover without a clear focus to me.

Well I voted for this bad boy, as I don't look at this as some sort of "art contest" but what I feel are the top covers.

This one just sums up the Bronze Age Spidey perfectly, and as a little tyke, I can remember buying it from the corner store. It blew me away then, and it's still one of my fave ASM covers today. I'm actually surprised it didn't finish higher.

Slam the cover all you want, it won't change my opinion!

Boy, JC's prediction of the "DC fanboys" owning the top 20 has really come true so far.

Either way, let's see what the Top 5 are before we start calling this a Marvel Sweep. If 3 (or more) out of 5 aren't DCs, then you can all start piling on.

I liked the cover because you can see Peter and Harry about to rip each other throats out in some sort of primal rage (one of the few times you can actually SEE and FEEL the emotions from a two dimensional page). Then in the background you see the Green Goblin and Spider-Man going at each other with the same sort of ferocity. A battle on many fronts like true competitors.

For me, the cover isn't so much about visual appearance as it is about pure emotion. I agree with JC in saying that this book pretty much sums up Amazing Spider-Man title from the BA.

Slam (me) all you want, it won't change my opinion!

devil.gifangel.gif

You're on the list.

acclaim.gif

(In spite of not being a huge Graemlin fan, I feel this one is appropriate here wink.gif )

I liked the cover because you can see Peter and Harry about to rip each other throats out in some sort of primal rage (one of the few times you can actually SEE and FEEL the emotions from a two dimensional page). Then in the background you see the Green Goblin and Spider-Man going at each other with the same sort of ferocity. A battle on many fronts like true competitors.

For me, the cover isn't so much about visual appearance as it is about pure emotion. I agree with JC in saying that this book pretty much sums up Amazing Spider-Man title from the BA.

A very good analysis - I considered this cover when I was voting for much the same reasons . . . but the competition was Just TOO TOUGH sumo.gif

another cover i don't see the appeal in.

what a mishmash. where did the street go to? oh, it would have been way too busy to have the buildings actually end in something, rather than just float there?

okey-dokey

They are walking on a red hill that defies gravity that floats horizontally over the top of New York city? confused.gif

Actually, I think you're missing the visual metaphor of a new day rising in the (what was thought to be ended) conflict between Spidey and the Green Goblin . . . 893scratchchin-thumb.gif