• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Lesser know high quality comics runs...

36 posts in this topic

to everyone

all the fans know the classic/major runs on comics such as the Lee/Dikto/Romita on Spidey, Lee/Kirby on FF, Miller on DD, Perez on avengers, Buscema on SS, B Smith on conan, etc...

but what about other great runs that are hardly talked/brought up?!

what are some of your fav. (lesser know) comics runs?!

from my side i'll starte the ball rolling witht the Claremont/Sinkiewickz run on new mutants...very goot storys/writing and fabulous art!!!

regards

THunderAgents,both the 60s Wally Woods run and the late 80's Perez-Ordway-Giffen one.

King Conans' from about 15 to 30. Some of the best written conan comics,imho.

DNAgents from the mid-80s

Black Dragon-Chris Clarmont/John Bolton produce a helluva mini-series for Epic.

Dreadstar,Nexus,Jon Sable,American Flagg,All-Star Squadron.

THunderAgents,both the 60s Wally Woods run and the late 80's Perez-Ordway-Giffen one.

King Conans' from about 15 to 30. Some of the best written conan comics,imho.

DNAgents from the mid-80s

Black Dragon-Chris Clarmont/John Bolton produce a helluva mini-series for Epic.

Dreadstar,Nexus,Jon Sable,American Flagg,All-Star Squadron.

i agree, the epic stuff had some great reading material...dreadstar was indeed great. For the black dragon by CC never read it...is it that good?

i could also add the savage sword of conan written by Roy Thomas and of course drawn by the Great Buscema!!! he and BSmith have made the intemporal conan interpretations... cloud9.gif

regards

These "lesser knowns" haven't gotten mention yet, so:

- Lee/Ditko Dr. Strange (ST 110-145): Nightmare dimensions, the Dread Dormammu, and Ditko's brilliance with alternate realities

- Moench/Gulacy Master of Kung Fu: Steranko reincarnated

- Frank Brunner's Dr. Strange re-launch: Dark, gorgeously detailed, and a great rendition of Clea

- Aparo's Spectre re-launch in Adventure: Superhero meets horror

I don't know if you meant the list to be Marvel-only, but one that gets little attention these days is the Kull the Conqueror run illustrated by Marie & John Severin. I believe Roy Thomas wrote these.

Nexus was a great 1980s indie title as long as Steve Rude was drawing it.

Tons of DC lesser known runs:

Wally Wood's All-Star Comics revival (#58-65)

Cockrum's Legion of Super-Heroes (Superboy 190, 191, 193, 195, 197-202)

Englehart & Rogers' Detective Comics 471-476

The first 15 issues of Mike Grell's Warlord

The Mr. Miracle revival in #19-25, first by Englehart & Rogers, then Gerber & Golden

Aquaman by Skeates/Aparo/Giordano in #40-56 of the original series

Teen Titan #19-31 of the original series (Cardy, Kane, Wood, Adams...wow)

What popped in my mind (out of nowhere) when I read the thread title... Airboy. blush.gif (You said "hardly talked about", right?)

That late eighties Eclipse run was very well done, had golden age roots, and was a weirdly fun read. Very fast paced kill-or-be-killed action. That's how I remember it anyway, a "hardware" comic. Lots of weaponry. Let me rephrase that...lots of Timothy Truman weaponry. Does anyone draw helicopters, tanks and small arms better than him?

More of a Johnny Quest-Indiana Jones type pulp weirdness than a cape-n-tights comic. Popcorn with lots-o-butter. I bet the entire run could be had from eBay for pocket change.

airboy01.jpg

airboy37.jpg

to everyone

all the fans know the classic/major runs on comics such as the Lee/Dikto/Romita on Spidey, Lee/Kirby on FF, Miller on DD, Perez on avengers, Buscema on SS, B Smith on conan, etc...

from my side i'll starte the ball rolling witht the Claremont/Sinkiewickz run on new mutants...very goot storys/writing and fabulous art!!!

regards

Early on, my favorite SA run was Lee/Kirby/Ayers' Sgt. Fury. Stan's stories were great reads - I highly recommend a reader set for any true Marvelite . . . and me, a pacifist, go figure . . . grin.gif

Armed and Dangerous by Bob Hall. I've only read the first couple issues, but it's well written and some of Bob's best art.

Cinder and Ashe by Garcia Lopez. Great character studies, action, nice art by Lopez.

Divine Right by Jim Lee. Just read the first couple issues, and it seems like Lee is relaxed and having fun here. Lee's art is always impressive, but my criticism of his work is that it often feels uptight. Here the story and art are looser. Not sure how well this series did, but my impression is that it was not a big hit like his other work. Anyone know?

to everyone

regards

Early on, my favorite SA run was Lee/Kirby/Ayers' Sgt. Fury. Stan's stories were great reads - I highly recommend a reader set for any true Marvelite . . . and me, a pacifist, go figure . . . grin.gif

Hey Divad. Clear something up for me if you can! flowerred.gif

Issue 15 features the 1st apperance of Bullseye. Although in a different costume. Is that the same Bullseye who appered in Daredevil 131, went on to kill Elektra, worked for the Kingpin, etc, etc? confused-smiley-013.gif

what about other great runs that are hardly talked/brought up?!

Detective Comics #66-#70. Great run with good stories and art by Finger and Robinson.

There were quite a few Indies from the 80s that really deserved better fates.

Scout

Airboy

Nexus

Elementals

The early Justice Machine

Ex-Mutants

Hero Alliance.

Coyote

Black Cross

Mainstream books such as Camelot 3000, and the early issues of Vigalante come to mind,I still think Perez's Wonder Woman is a very under-rated book(and not solely because I have several cases of #1s sitting around)Captain America's leading up to 300 stand apart from the rest of his books the last few decades.

There were quite a few Indies from the 80s that really deserved better fates.

Scout

Airboy

Nexus

Elementals

The early Justice Machine

Ex-Mutants

Hero Alliance.

Coyote

Black Cross

Mainstream books such as Camelot 3000, and the early issues of Vigalante come to mind,I still think Perez's Wonder Woman is a very under-rated book(and not solely because I have several cases of #1s sitting around)Captain America's leading up to 300 stand apart from the rest of his books the last few decades.

indeed, cap's run from 250 to 310 (byrne on the baron blood and later on marshal rogers on the writing helms) is a great run...!!!

regards