• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Colorist Commission?

25 posts in this topic

Hi Everyone!

I have an original Fiction House page that I thought might look cool hand colored... my questions: Where would I look to get this done? Is this going to cost insane amounts of money?

The piece is about 22 X 14 1/2 with seven panels of typical Fiction House gga and mayhem.

Thanks in advance for any help!

Dan

You can always send a scan to this guy and see what he'll charge you.

www.mycolorist.com

It's the only colorist that I know of (I don't look out for them) and someone posted something about him being available for commissions to the comicart-l just recently.

I hope that helps.

Thanks thecollector!

That brings up an interesting issue... the piece didn't break

my bank and I kinda like the idea of the original being colored 55 years later... is it worth the chance? thoughts?

Dan

the piece didn't break

my bank and I kinda like the idea of the original being colored 55 years later... is it worth the chance?

You could just have the best of both worlds. Most of today's colorists will digitally color a scan of the piece and email it back to you or save it to a CD.

That way you can take the hi res scan to kinko's or the like and have a full size print made of the piece in color (usually for $10 or less depending on laser or inkjet). Then you can enjoy the original and the color version side by side without permanently altering the original.

Chris

Thanks Alberto for the link!!!

Comix4fun:

I hope this doesn't sound strange, but I feel like I have an

original piece that I want originally colored. I hope that it will

have the same human errors and corrections that the original

inks do... I'd just like to find someone that will take it

seriously... I do appreciate your idea, it's just that the

piece doesn't earn that much comparative analysis.

Dan

but I feel like I have an

inks do...

Then you must seek out Yoda.....err...I mean Steve Oliffe (colorist supreme).

He might be the best that ever lived, but that also probably means you won't find many human errors if he does it.

I will see if I can find his contact info..

Chris

Hey Dan,

Another artist that does coloring is Bob McLeod...

He is mostly known for all the inking work he did at Marvel in the 80s and 90s, but his web site does show a section saying he colors other people's work, and I am almost completely sure he colors the pieces by hand, not digitally, so you might want to contact him for a quote...

http://www.bobmcleod.com/rates.html

Whoever you end up going with, please post the piece in black and white, and in color, so that we can see the final product!

Hey Dan,

Another artist that does coloring is Bob McLeod...

I agree...Bob's real real good....and good people.

Chris

Thanks again Alberto!

Bob's work looks great...

I don't want to disappoint anyone with this 'average' FH page,

but it does contain my favorite Fiction House babe, FIREHAIR from her

self titled #3 book pg. 18. If I can reasonably get this done I will gladly

scan the before and after...

While I'm up... if anyone has other FIREHAIR pages for sale, please PM!!!

Dan

but I feel like I have an

inks do...

Then you must seek out Yoda.....err...I mean Steve Oliffe (colorist supreme).

He might be the best that ever lived, but that also probably means you won't find many human errors if he does it.

I will see if I can find his contact info..

Chris

Please send this to me if you find it and don't mind. Steve has a Cosmic Odyssey colour guide that I want and Scott from mothcomix has supposed to have been trying to get it for me for over a month but I haven't heard anything.

Thanks!

Hi Everyone!

I have an original Fiction House page that I thought might look cool hand colored... my questions: Where would I look to get this done? Is this going to cost insane amounts of money?

The piece is about 22 X 14 1/2 with seven panels of typical Fiction House gga and mayhem.

Thanks in advance for any help!

Dan

Please consider that you have a piece of original art that is unique and color a copy rather than the original page.

Once you color the original page there is no going back and you'll mar the artist's work forever. We hold these pieces of art for but a small number of years; eventually they will be passed on to the next generation.