• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

CGC FORUM TOP BRONZE AGE COVERS - #4

43 posts in this topic

In 4th place a villian takes center stage, as the Clown Prince of Crime gets in on the action in Batman #251. This "Classic Cover" is noted by CGC and of course drawn by Neal Adams.

Thanks to Pommy_Git for nominating this book and supplying the following write up. thumbsup2.gif

The perspective is amazing - A giant Joker towering over Gotham, holding an Ace of Spades with a helpless Batman trapped on there with his cape just flapping in the wind. The joker looks truly menacing with a sadistic smile and the greens and purple really make him stand out and contrast well the the general blueness of the cover.

I also think this era's "Batman" logo is the best design sumo.gifPommy_Git

Batman251.jpg

Thanks for all the chit chat about the covers this weekend 893applaud-thumb.gif I'm sure it will continue towards next week - Monday the first of the TOP 3 Covers. Awards

I sold my NM raw copy of this for full guide about 10 years ago. Less than $40 if I recall correctly.

Guess I wasn't too much of a batman fan.

I should have held out until it got the high ranking. Double guide from now on.

I sold my NM raw copy of this for full guide about 10 years ago. Less than $40 if I recall correctly.

It's a fairly common book, even in the top grades...

Welp, it's getting exciting - we're down to the final three, and the tension continues to mount. crazy.gif

When do we get the final three? In the next few hours, I hope... 893crossfingers-thumb.gif

Not til tomorrow from the sounds of it.

We've all got a pretty good idea of 2 of the top 3 (absolutely no idea of the order, of course.) But the third has me stumped. Tec 405? Another bronze DC horror? One of the ASM bronze age keys? Just please, not another Hulk 181 thread... Christo_pull_hair.gif

It's a fairly common book, even in the top grades...

Its also more common than you think in high grade as it was part of the great DC Superpac D-8, that also had Superboy 197 (first solo Legion) in it. Oh, and Shazam 5.

finally i got one right from my top 7 predictions! I voted for this one and it was my #4 overall! thumbsup2.gif

None of my picks have turned up thus far... 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

if your a marvel guy better hope spidey comes through or it will be a sweep for DC in the top 5! Good chance for 122 because there is something wrong if #136 makes the top 10 and 122 doesn't! i guess there's also 129 and x-men 94 as long shots! But don't ask me i have no idea! The DC boys are out in force! --Marvel will rule the silver age!

finally i got one right from my top 7 predictions! I voted for this one and it was my #4 overall! thumbsup2.gif

None of my picks have turned up thus far... 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

if your a marvel guy better hope spidey comes through or it will be a sweep for DC in the top 5! Good chance for 122 because there is something wrong if #136 makes the top 10 and 122 doesn't! i guess there's also 129 and x-men 94 as long shots! But don't ask me i have no idea! The DC boys are out in force! --Marvel will rule the silver age!

Just for the record, I voted for 4 Marvels and 1 DC.

There is a chance that two of these books could appear in the top three, the others? Well, there's no accounting for taste. grin.gif

Yo buck, when I said that the top selections would be mostly DC, you told me "I don't think so" and now I'm seeing a big run of DC right up to #4.

I assume that means that numbers 1-3 will be ALL Marvel?

if your a marvel guy better hope spidey comes through or it will be a sweep for DC in the top 5!

Huh? Right now, the DC fanboys are looking at a potential DC Sweep in the TOP EIGHT covers.

This is just getting stupid. screwy.gif

if your a marvel guy better hope spidey comes through or it will be a sweep for DC in the top 5!

Huh? Right now, the DC fanboys are looking at a potential DC Sweep in the TOP EIGHT covers.

Maybe there should've been seperate "Best DC Bronze covers" & "Best Marvel Bronze covers" threads? But I doubt that would've stopped the person_without_enough_empathying that you get with these types of things, so why the hell bother??? yeahok.gif

Maybe there should've been seperate "Best DC Bronze covers" & "Best Marvel Bronze covers" threads? But I doubt that would've stopped the person_without_enough_empathying that you get with these types of things, so why the hell bother??? yeahok.gif

Maybe we should start another bronze cover thread confused-smiley-013.gif

27_laughing.gif

Eh. DC generally had the better cover artists by far in the bronze era, IMO confused-smiley-013.gif (Or perhaps it would be more accurate to say that the best cover artists of the era did a lot more work for DC than marvel - but you get my drift).

Frankly I can't believe this cover was even nominated let alone #4 though. It's not even close to adams' best work. I think this is a case of a cover getting more recognition than it should due to the subject matter. There are dozens of better adams covers - this one has an awkward composition IMO and is a relatively pedestrian affair boo.gif especially by neal's standards Christo_pull_hair.gif

I mean if you're going to pick an adams cover, there are any number of superior HOM covers, strange adventures covers, avengers 96, green lantern/green arrow covers, tomahawk covers, world's finest covers, all star western covers, spectre covers, the list goes on and on and on and ON and ON. That THIS cover would be #4???? Oh brother. foreheadslap.gif

EDIT: I wouldn't even put this cover in the top ten Adams Batman/Detective covers!!!!!

sign-rantpost.gifsign-rantpost.gifsign-rantpost.gifsign-rantpost.gifsign-rantpost.gifsign-rantpost.gifsign-rantpost.gif