• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

CGC FORUM TOP BRONZE AGE COVERS - #3

102 posts in this topic

this is a great cover and this reminds me i have a white paged cgc 7.0 that i won on comiclink's focused auction on the way! maybe i should take a trip to the post office!

Do you have a scan/pic of that copy? I wonder if it was mine at one point. 893scratchchin-thumb.gif I think I could tell with a scan.

winning bid was $127 so i think i did pretty good!

RAD5FBC62006210_224624.jpg[/img]

This is the #3 cover of the BA? 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

Doesn't do it for me...and I'm a big fan of green on comic book covers! 27_laughing.gif

#86 is better, but #86 isn't the mega-key this one is, is it? confused-smiley-013.gif

Anyhoo, here's Adams' alternate cover featuring the old logo:

alternategl76dark.jpg

Boy, Julie really screwed the pooch on that choice . . . 27_laughing.gif

This is the #3 cover of the BA? 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

Doesn't do it for me...and I'm a big fan of green on comic book covers! 27_laughing.gif

#86 is better, but #86 isn't the mega-key this one is, is it? confused-smiley-013.gif

Anyhoo, here's Adams' alternate cover featuring the old logo:

alternategl76dark.jpg

76 is a nice cover, but 85 is my favorite from the run. Now THAT was a ground breaker. How many comics can you name from the big two that featured graphic drug use like that ON THE COVER? 893whatthe.gif

Don't see where anyone described this cover as "wildly innovative". confused-smiley-013.gif

I see you just got to this discussion.

Point 1: There are TONS of DC fanboys on here, far more than exist in the regular collecting community.

Point 2: When someone has an issue with DC taking the vast majority of Top 10 slots, the DC fanboys fires back that DC covers were "much more innovative" than Marvel's and that artists "broke the rules" and used "their own styles" when designing the layout. Sorry, outside of the odd Wrightson classic, I just don't see it.

Point 3: When a Marvel cover actually (gasp) places on the list, the DC fanboys all run in and scream "it's only there because it's a KEY issue", yet here many of the DC's are the same way, but you never hear anything about "key issue bias" with HOS 92 or GL/GA 76... wonder why?

Basically, the DC cover fanboys are running this contest, and although I would give DC the slight edge in BA covers, this kind of bizarre DC superiority in the Top 8 placement is just insane.

this is a great cover and this reminds me i have a white paged cgc 7.0 that i won on comiclink's focused auction on the way! maybe i should take a trip to the post office!

Do you have a scan/pic of that copy? I wonder if it was mine at one point. 893scratchchin-thumb.gif I think I could tell with a scan.

winning bid was $127 so i think i did pretty good!

RAD5FBC62006210_224624.jpg[/img]

Nice buy, for sure. It sure does look like my old copy. Great centering, similar spine stresses. I may still have the old serial # written down, but I'd almost bet it's the same book.

Paging Lantern or Foolkiller, can you confirm?

76 is a nice cover, but 85 is my favorite from the run. Now THAT was a ground breaker. How many comics can you name from the big two that featured graphic drug use like that ON THE COVER? 893whatthe.gif

While I generally agree, I think it gets to what "Bronze Age" means to each individual.

For me (and I'm guessing only two of my voted will have ended up in the top 20), I looked at each cover and asked myself, "Self, does that cover say Bronze Age to you?".

Of course, since I didn't collect much in the way of DC then (or now), many DC books were eliminated fairly quickly.

The emergence of Perez, Buckler, and Sal Buscema as more prominent cover artists (for Marvel) during the BA is what helps to define it for me... so I will then lend that bias to my voting.

While I did vote for two Adams DC covers, I would likely have been even more vociferous in my Adams support if the stories between those covers had been illustrated by him as well... like 'Tec 395 cloud9.gif).

Don't see where anyone described this cover as "wildly innovative". confused-smiley-013.gif

Point 1: There are TONS of DC fanboys on here, far more than exist in the regular collecting community.

Point 2: When someone has an issue with DC taking the vast majority of Top 10 slots, the DC fanboys fires back that DC covers were "much more innovative" than Marvel's and that artists "broke the rules" and used "their own styles" when designing the layout. Sorry, outside of the odd Wrightson classic, I just don't see it.

Point 3: When a Marvel cover actually (gasp) places on the list, the DC fanboys all run in and scream "it's only there because it's a KEY issue", yet here many of the DC's are the same way, but you never hear anything about "key issue bias" with HOS 92 or GL/GA 76... wonder why?

Basically, the DC cover fanboys are running this contest, and although I would give DC the slight edge in BA covers, this kind of bizarre DC superiority in the Top 8 placement is just insane.

I agree, to a point. I think key bias has shown itself on both sides of the fence. GL 76, HOS 92 and Batman 251 are all stellar covers, but are they as good as some of the non-key issues? I am not so sure. Personally, I don't think so.

As far as innovation, DC WAS far more innovative during the bronze age, it just isn't represented very well by the winners of this poll.

I think this particular cover sucks. Don't see how it made it into the top 10, even. But I also don't see what you're getting so worked-up over, JC. We all read comic books. Clearly, we are not the most discriminating of consumers.

Fair enough Joe, I see where you're coming from. "Insane" seems a touch strong, tho... 893scratchchin-thumb.gif ...clearly all of us collect completely different things, and are using completely different criteria to pick favorites.

That said, I'm still intrigued. What were your top 5 covers?

I think this particular cover sucks. Don't see how it made it into the top 10, even. But I also don't see what you're getting so worked-up over, JC. We all read comic books. Clearly, we are not the most discriminating of consumers.

sign-funnypost.gif

My pick for #2: Amazing Spider-man #122 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

popcorn.gif

But what about, Hulk 181, and Bat227?

Let alone Conan 1. There simply isn't any room for ASM 122.

popcorn.gif

Hulk #181 won't be there.

Gotta be:

#2 - ASM #122

#1 - Bats #227

The best covers of the bronze age - far and away - are actually the magazine covers, not the DC's. Marvel magazines, Warrens, MADs, National Lampoons all beat out any comics with ease. And I agree with you that the DC covers do edge out the Marvel ones. And I say that as a Marvel fan. Look at my avatar for chrissakes. I nominated one Marvel and two DCs for this contest, but I'm not nearly as surprised at the outcome as many. I am very confident that ASM 122 will finish second and Batman 227 as first. My second choice is that they're flipped in the finishing order.

893crossfingers-thumb.gif

popcorn.gif

Gotta be:

#2 - ASM #122

#1 - Bats #227

ASM 122 sucks. You're letting rampant fanboyism cloud your judgement!

popcorn.gif

Gotta be:

#2 - ASM #122

#1 - Bats #227

ASM 122 sucks. You're letting rampant fanboyism cloud your judgement!

IIRC there were no set rules as to how a cover should be judged. I refer you to Contest Rules Article IX, Section 4A, Subsection 23 - "Rampant fanboyism is not a disqualifyable offense and, in fact, is encouraged." acclaim.gif

85 has been forever ruined for me thanks to Bongo Comics.

1136790-radioman.jpg

1136790-radioman.jpg.d4d905b45deddb2b213fb68ae28ac35e.jpg