• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

CGC FORUM TOP BRONZE AGE COVERS - #3

102 posts in this topic

Winning the Bronze Medal in the Bronze Age covers voting grin.gif is one of the covers that has claimed "Book that started the Bronze Age" status. Green Lantern 76 sees Neal Adams continue his assault on the Top 20 with the first in his now classic run of Green Lantern / Green Arrow cover art.

Thanks to: Zonker, Stephen Fischler, Teddie Mercede and the Collector for nominating this cover. thumbsup2.gif Here are some of the comments.

The Green Lantern / Green Arrow #76 cover is a literal explosion in green. It helps if you understand the GL backstory-- he's charging the ring, what's always been a private ritual, (the power battery is invisible to all eyes but his own), and in the middle of this solemn quiet moment he's interrupted by his supposed ally destroying the source of his power. Shocking-- after all, this wasn't Marvel, where the heroes fight each other every other month!

Also, the logo changes dramatically, virtually re-titling the comic book. And check out the copy: "Stop! this is the NEW... Green Lantern Green Arrow."

Finally, in terms of personal nostalgia value-- I wasn't buying comics when this hit the stands, so I can only imagine how its green-on-green motif stood out on the spinner racks. But I was buying books in 1971/1972, when DC house ads were celebrating the awards the series had won. This cover and #86 were reproduced in house ads in every issue of DC comics for one particular month. Both comics always symbolized for me those great stories I was just a little bit too young to have experienced first hand! - Zonker

I nominated it because it is the first neal adams and denny oneil on green lantern. Plus it has the best cover on that run. I remember the first this I saw that cover. The green on green background with all the emotion. It is just the most amazing DC cover of the bronze age.

- The Collector

GL76.jpg

I'll be back this afternoon with #2. yay.gif

Zonker & thecollector sum it up nicely. Always liked everything about this cover...the symbolic tie to the story inside & the relaunching of the series, the bold green color scheme, etc. Funny enough, this cover was my #3 vote, too. Hope to own a nice copy one of these days!

They had a lot of green ink that month. confused-smiley-013.gif

Just kidding. It's a nice cover. So if Green Arrow had been named Red Arrow years earlier would anyone have had thought to put them together?

"Hey let's put our Green guys together. thumbsup2.gif They'll think it's innovative." thumbsup2.gif

poke2.gif I kid because I love. flowerred.gif

this is a great cover and this reminds me i have a white paged cgc 7.0 that i won on comiclink's focused auction on the way! maybe i should take a trip to the post office!

...congrats on the pickup!

Wow, quite the love-fest over this cover so far.

I imagine the haters will be arriving shortly... juggle.gif27_laughing.gif

this is a great cover and this reminds me i have a white paged cgc 7.0 that i won on comiclink's focused auction on the way! maybe i should take a trip to the post office!

Do you have a scan/pic of that copy? I wonder if it was mine at one point. 893scratchchin-thumb.gif I think I could tell with a scan.

...congrats on the pickup!

gossip.gif Hater. *coughJCcough*

I'm indifferent.

But I'm glad there are people that love this cover. It's nice to see. thumbsup2.gif

I'm indifferent.

But I'm glad there are people that love this cover. It's nice to see. thumbsup2.gif

Let's call a shamrock a shamrock . . . you had to be a REAL geek to even read Green Lantern in the first place insane.gif

Why bother? Just another "key issue" masquerading as "fine art".

Don't get me wrong, I like the cover too, but I fail to see this "wildly innovative" part of most super-hero DCs. A few of the horror books, maybe, but this one and the previous Batman Joker cover?? confused-smiley-013.gif

The green glow on top of the green is great. There aren't enough all green -c out there. Maybe there's a reason 893scratchchin-thumb.gif My only hope is Batman 227 for 3 outta 5.

I'm 3 for 5 in the Top 10. I'm pretty sure one (or both) of my others will take the top spots.

Bats #227 is a lock for one of them, no?