• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

CGC FORUM TOP BRONZE AGE COVERS - #3

102 posts in this topic

We should do it anyway, even though Frazetta would practically own the top 10.

If people can look past the "Frazetta" name, they would find that there are plenty of other BA mag cover artists who have turned out work that rivals and sometimes exceeds Frazetta...Manuel Sanjulian, Neal Adams, Boris Vallejo, Enrich, Earl Norem, etc.

If you take the best of those artists you named, and compare it to the mid-low range Frazetta pieces you might be right, but nobody, and I mean nobody, could touch Frazetta at his best. He is a shoe-in for one of the top 5 illustrators of the 20th century.

Don't get me wrong, nobody is a bigger Adams fan than me, and Boris' cover to Psycho 3 would be in my top 10 for sure, but Frazetta is in a class by himself. The way he is able to capture movement is absolutely unparalleled.

If people can look past the "Frazetta" name, they would find that there are plenty of other BA mag cover artists who have turned out work that rivals and sometimes exceeds Frazetta...Manuel Sanjulian, Neal Adams, Boris Vallejo, Enrich, Earl Norem, etc.

Boris cloud9.gif the main reason to exclude the Mags was that they were outside the bounds of the CCA and therefore did not have to play by the same rules. Hence half naked women all over them - so it really would have been no contest.

1st Place - Vampi, pick an issue

2nd Place - Vampi, pick an issue

3rd Place - Vampi .....

Great idea! gossip.gif but there'd only be like 10 of us playing . . . yeahok.gif

you, me, jayman, fandango, october, precodekeith . . . sorry.gif

Uh...hello?? hi.gif

I am ignoring you because of your comments regarding Conan #9 27_laughing.gif

I think some cover posting should go on for a bit before a poll begins. There's some great stuff out there that I don't see posted around here, especially the MAD and National Lampoon covers. Also, what would be the time frame? Just bronze or silver and bronze? Or any era?

And lastly, case in point: look at the cover to Conan #9 . . . Kirby-esque? I think not . . . makepoint.gif

Are you kidding?? How can you not see the Kirby influence? Heck, BWS was practically told to ape Kirby back then. frustrated.gif

Anyone want to chime in here . . . 27_laughing.gif

cloud9.gif

If you take the best of those artists you named, and compare it to the mid-low range Frazetta pieces you might be right, but nobody, and I mean nobody, could touch Frazetta at his best. He is a shoe-in for one of the top 5 illustrators of the 20th century.

Frazetta zombie. poke2.gif

I like Frazetta, but his work is very stylized and it doesn't always work for me. Overall, I prefer the romanticized realism of Enrich and Boris (Eerie #35 and SSOC #7 would both probably be in my Top 10 mag covers). The Spanish master Sanjulian has been lauded by some as being technically superior to Frazetta.

If we're only looking at Frazetta's comic magazine covers (excluding paperbacks, gallery pieces, etc.), I'm not sure how many (if any) of his works would be in my top 10. I dunno - somebody start that Top Mag Covers poll and let's find out!

I think some cover posting should go on for a bit before a poll begins. There's some great stuff out there that I don't see posted around here, especially the MAD and National Lampoon covers. Also, what would be the time frame? Just bronze or silver and bronze? Or any era?

Well, I can post this one, which would be my number one. Took me about a half a second to come up with which one deserves the top spot...

cr11.jpg

Frazetta zombie. poke2.gif

I like Frazetta, but his work is very stylized and it doesn't always work for me. Overall, I prefer the romanticized realism of Enrich and Boris (Eerie #35 and SSOC #7 would both probably be in my Top 10 mag covers). The Spanish master Sanjulian has been lauded by some as being technically superior to Frazetta.

If we're only looking at Frazetta's comic magazine covers (excluding paperbacks, gallery pieces, etc.), I'm not sure how many (if any) of his works would be in my top 10. I dunno - somebody start that Top Mag Covers poll and let's find out!

There is no doubt that I am an unabashed Frazetta and Adams zombie. grin.gif I have to admit I am only passingly familiar with Sanjulian, though I do like my copy of Vampirella 12.

We should start the poll. I am sure it will be fun and it might bring some people over to the desolate mag forum.

What is it that makes GL 76 #3 on the list? confused.gif

Outside it being a "key" issue.....I can't for the life of me figure out why people would vote this cover into the 3rd spot. confused.gifconfused.gif

The same reason everyone wanted a green machine instead of a big wheels...GREEN

Humans can recognize more shades of green than any other color.

The best covers of the bronze age - far and away - are actually the magazine covers, not the DC's. Marvel magazines, Warrens, MADs, National Lampoons all beat out any comics with ease.

I'm not a big fan of most of the Marvel magazine covers. In my opinion, most were very amateurish paintings.

Hard to believe that Conan #1 or #4 didn't make the top 20 . . .

I think it is generally agreed that BWS's best Conan work was after he stopped imitating Kirby and developed his own style towards the end of the run (issues #19-#24, I believe).

Totally agree. I'm not a big fan of Conan #1 at all, as it was the most Kirby-esque of BWS's Conan covers. You can see the progression through the covers, and by the end BWS had completely thrown off the Kirby influence and become a raging Pre-Raphaelite, which is when his work truly shined. I usually like very simple art styles, so BWS is one of the few "ornate" artists that I really like.

I think it is generally agreed that BWS's best Conan work was after he stopped imitating Kirby and developed his own style towards the end of the run (issues #19-#24, I believe).

Totally agree. I'm not a big fan of Conan #1 at all, as it was the most Kirby-esque of BWS's Conan covers. You can see the progression through the covers, and by the end BWS had completely thrown off the Kirby influence and become a raging Pre-Raphaelite, which is when his work truly shined. I usually like very simple art styles, so BWS is one of the few "ornate" artists that I really like.

Perhaps you could articulate your point . . . yeahok.gif

If people can look past the "Frazetta" name, they would find that there are plenty of other BA mag cover artists who have turned out work that rivals and sometimes exceeds Frazetta...Boris Vallejo

You had me going Gene, I was agreeing with all of your posts in this thread until I came upon this!

The best covers of the bronze age - far and away - are actually the magazine covers, not the DC's. Marvel magazines, Warrens, MADs, National Lampoons all beat out any comics with ease.

I'm not a big fan of most of the Marvel magazine covers. In my opinion, most were very amateurish paintings.

Tim, to each his own, and I'm not really sure which covers you're referring to, but I would not consider this - among many others - an amateurish painting...

1137241-DeadlyHandsOfKungFu-14-94_7006.jpg

1137241-DeadlyHandsOfKungFu-14-94_7006.jpg.6f93b2d7085b00591b7429f237a93dbe.jpg

Perhaps you could articulate your point . . . yeahok.gif

Oh, you want me to engage in regular Board speak? Okay, how's this:

Conan #24 rules! It kicks azz! Conan #1 sucks big moose nads! poke2.gif

Tim, to each his own, and I'm not really sure which covers you're referring to, but I would not consider this - among many others - an amateurish painting...

Fair enough. flowerred.gif I was actually thinking of the various sword & sorcery mags (Savage Tales, Savage Sword, etc.) when I made my comment.