• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Pre-hero JIM TOS TTA question.

9 posts in this topic

I'm working on a deal to buy a collection of early Marvel books. Pretty solid runs of most Marvel titles. The superhero stuff is for the most part going into my collection. However the collection includes most of the pre-hero Marvel/Atlas stuff. Near complete runs of JIM, TOS, TTA mostly in G to VG condition. I have no interest in any of it, and I'm not particularly familiar with the market for it. Do they sell for guide in low grade? Do they sell period? Too low grade to CGC but I would like to flip it. I'd be paying about 80% of Good 1995 guide prices. Can I flip it and make a buck? Is it worth it, or will I be scrambling to even move most of it? I'm sure POV is familiar with the market on this kind of stuff. POV? Anyone else have any opinions?

I have no interest in any of it, and I'm not particularly familiar with the market for it. Do they sell for guide in low grade? Do they sell period?

They definitely sell. Still a popular genre and you may find me as a customer as well! They are pre-hero Marvels but, in the case of something like JIM and Strange Tales, can also be true pre-code horror as these titles appeared before the code, which is what actually inpsired the pre-hero themes.

As far as paying guide am not sure. Except for the pre-code horror ones it has been a few years since I bought pre-hero titles. One thing I suggest is looking on ebay under Completed Items. There should be a decnt number of Gd to VG pre-hero books on there.

I notice you said you were paying 80% of the 1995 Guide Good. Do me a favor. Can you pick a few titles out and just tell me the 1995 Good price on some of them? I used to have a run of OS from #3 through to a few years ago, but when I thought I had quite collecting they went. So have no reference point. But if you could list some '95 guide prices it would help.

PS - sounds really fascinating!

The guy I'm buying them from has the 95 guide. I do have a 93 guide right here, shouldn't be too much of a difference. JIM 1 - $130, 5-11 $25, most of the 30s and 40s are $10-$12. TOS 1 $93, 2-3 $36, 5-10 $23. Strange Tales 1 $143, 6-10 $32. That's some idea of guide prices back then.

The guy I'm buying them from has the 95 guide. I do have a 93 guide right here, shouldn't be too much of a difference. JIM 1 - $130, 5-11 $25, most of the 30s and 40s are $10-$12. TOS 1 $93, 2-3 $36, 5-10 $23. Strange Tales 1 $143, 6-10 $32. That's some idea of guide prices back then.

OK - that sounds really good to me. I say go for it. And again, please consider me a customer for some of these - especially since I was the first responder to really care enough to note and incorporate the 1995 reference!

(nyah nyah Polyphemus! grin.gifwink.gifsmile.gif )

Will do POV. Should have them in a couple of weeks if things work out. I'll PM you when I get them.

It is greatly appreciated. Feel free to divulge the transaction details should we come to an amicable agreement! grin.gif