• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

CGC FORUM TOP BRONZE AGE COVERS - #2

82 posts in this topic

In 2nd place we see a classic combination together again: John Romita + Amazing Spider-man + The Green Goblin = Classic Cover. This one was the solid 2nd choice among voters, considering a few nominators did not end up casting votes poke2.gif. Classic poses, powerful images of death and conflict combine to make this one of the truly memorable Comic Book Covers of the Bronze Age.

Thanks to Captains of Industry and worldsbestcomics for the nominations thumbsup2.gif

The cover to Amazing Spider-Man 122 was my nomination for the top cover of the Bronze Age for two reasons: One, the raw emotion expressed in John Romita's art is painfully breathtaking. Two, this cover beautifully captures a pivotal moment in bronze-age comics and in the story of Marvel's most popular individual character. worldsbestcomics

ASM122.jpg

I'll be back tomorrow with the #1 Book and the Final list of all the votes for each nominated book. yay.gif

At this point no "Marvel Zombie" should be biotching about Marvel's placement in this contest. they have had a significant showing and at least 1 cover is in the "Top 3". If a Marvel Cover doesn't get #1, then shut just shut up and enjoy!!!! grin.gif

I always prefered #121 myself. I guess it was whole 'who died?' shock value. By the time this book hit the stands it had already happened.

Great cover though, but probably another book that only made it because of it's key issue status. 893scratchchin-thumb.gifmakepoint.gif

I always prefered #122 myself. I guess it was whole 'who died?' shock value. By the time this book hit the stands it had already happened.

Great cover though, but probably another book that only made it because of it's key issue status. 893scratchchin-thumb.gifmakepoint.gif

You mean 121? gossip.gif I thought you were a Marvel fan. screwy.gif

I always prefered #122 myself. I guess it was whole 'who died?' shock value. By the time this book hit the stands it had already happened.

I'd rather see Gwen naked . . . insane.gif

Batman #227 is a lock for #1! yay.gif

Even a DC fanboy like me voted for ASM #122. There are artistically better covers in the world, but the symbolic impact of this cover is huge and is burned into the psyche of many of us who grew up collecting ASM. A turning point like no other.

Good lord. That's a terible cover. I'm not a big DC fan, but every DC cover to this point is better then this POS. foreheadslap.gif

Obviously, our tastes have changed . . . 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

I'm going right home and burn all of my BA books 893whatthe.gifinsane.gif893whatthe.gif

So this leaves us with Conan #1, Hulk #181, and Batman #227 as possible top spots? My money's on Batman #227 for the winner.

foreheadslap.gif I don't think any of those are worthy of the top spot. Conan #1 is BWS before he was BWS. Hulk #181 - a Herb Trimpe cover in the top position? Not likely. Batman #227? That one isn't even as good as some of the Bats covers already on the list, not to mention some that aren't on the list.

Well, I guess the expectation is for Bats #227 to end up in the top spot, but I really hope people are wrong. 893crossfingers-thumb.gif No way is that the best cover of the Bronze Age. frustrated.gif

You mean 121? gossip.gif I thought you were a Marvel fan. screwy.gif

Typo? blush.giftongue.gif

So this leaves us with Conan #1, Hulk #181, and Batman #227 as possible top spots? My money's on Batman #227 for the winner.

foreheadslap.gif I don't think any of those are worthy of the top spot. Conan #1 is BWS before he was BWS. Hulk #181 - a Herb Trimpe cover in the top position? Not likely. Batman #227? That one isn't even as good as some of the Bats covers already on the list, not to mention some that aren't on the list.

Well, I guess the expectation is for Bats #227 to end up in the top spot, but I really hope people are wrong. 893crossfingers-thumb.gif No way is that the best cover of the Bronze Age. frustrated.gif

I actually agree. I didn't vote or nominate any of those three but am just guessing what the winner will be. 4 of my 5 picks finished in the top 20, so I'm pretty happy overall.

I actually agree. I didn't vote or nominate any of those three but am just guessing what the winner will be. 4 of my 5 picks finished in the top 20, so I'm pretty happy overall.

Why does that make you happy? What's so great about following the masses? 893scratchchin-thumb.giftongue.gif

4 of my 5 picks finished in the top 20, so I'm pretty happy overall.

I got 4 out of 5 as well...here was my list:

1. Conan #24 (Windsor-Smith)

2. X-Men #94 (Kane)

3. ASM #136 (Romita)

4. Batman #244 (Adams)

5. HoS #92 (Wrightson)

I know some people will cry foul about X-Men #94, my only pick that didn't end up on the list, being a "key book" and not really a great cover, but I think the artistic merits of that cover would hold up even if that was a filler issue. Superb composition and coloring, to say nothing of the importance of the book.

4 of my 5 picks finished in the top 20, so I'm pretty happy overall.

I got 4 out of 5 as well...here was my list:

1. Conan #24 (Windsor-Smith)

2. X-Men #94 (Kane)

3. ASM #136 (Romita)

4. Batman #244 (Adams)

5. HoS #92 (Wrightson)

I know some people will cry foul about X-Men #94, my only pick that didn't end up on the list, being a "key book" and not really a great cover, but I think the artistic merits of that cover would hold up even if that was a filler issue. Superb composition and coloring, to say nothing of the importance of the book.

Good list thumbsup2.gif

Mine were...

Action 419 (Adams)

DC Super Spectacular 4 (Wrightson)

Conan King-Size 1 (Smith)

Swamp Thing 9 (Wrightson)

GL/GA 76 (Adams)

Action 419 was my first pick, and I can't remember how I ranked the rest.

Ah but remember Gene, this poll isn't about best cover of the BA, its about the CGC Forum's opinion on the Best BA cover. news.gif

Anyway I will post the entire vote list tomorrow so everyone can see how the voting broke down 1 through 80. popcorn.gif