• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

CGC FORUM TOP BRONZE AGE COVERS - #1

73 posts in this topic

And the Winner is: Take one amazing artist (Neal Adams) + one iconic character (Batman) + Inspiration from a legendary Golden Age Cover ('Tec 31) and you get Batman 227 the CGC Forum Top pick for a Bronze Age Cover. This cover was the only one to receive double digit 1st place votes and it also received the most total votes of any cover in the Poll. 893applaud-thumb.gif

Batman227.jpg

takeit.gif

I'll be back tonight with a list of all the votes cast for books 1-80 and final impressions from the Poll.

Thanks again to all who participated (jbud73) hi.gif

The bottom half of this cover is a cheap rip-off of HoS 88, but the top half makes it #1! cloud9.gif

But, what's up with the pink Wolve's mouths? confused-smiley-013.gif

As you can see tonight, there is a gradual progression of votes up the list and then there's this book - it won by a LARGE margin. I didn't vote for it but I think like 20+ people did.

I voted for this book even though I didn't nominate it.

Batman, as a character, meshes nicely with the Bronze Age Horror theme... probably more so than any other "superhero"

My picks:

1. Batman #227

2. Giant Size X-men #1

3. Creatures on the Loose #33 *

4. X-men #101 *

5. Avengers #141 *

It's not a direct rip-off. It's more of a "Homage"

The figures are different. The house is different. The graveyard is not there, etc.

hos088.jpgBATS227.JPG

det-31-b.jpg

to me this book belongs in the top 20 but not the top 10 for 2 reasons:

1) the original(tec 31) is completely superior

2) the colors of the characters in the foreground are all wrong, in fact i think you have a better cover if they aren't even present!

still a cool cover-even though i am a marvelite i do think DC had the edge in cover art during the bronze age thanks to adams -i just don't think this is the best example!

yea....let's do it again. what is next ? silver age?
I'm working on it as fast as I can. 893crossfingers-thumb.gif

I notice that this image just barely makes it into the Bronze age.

Completely derivative . . . on two counts, and hastily executed. :thumbs down:

Hey, we actually agree on something! tongue.gif

This is the best cover that the Bronze Age has to offer? I don't think you'll find too many takers for that proposition outside of the narrow group on this Forum who voted. foreheadslap.gif

I don't think you'll find too many takers for that proposition outside of the narrow group on this Forum who voted. foreheadslap.gif

That's why this group is so much more special than the ignorant, unwashed masses. cloud9.gif

I don't think you'll find too many takers for that proposition outside of the narrow group on this Forum who voted. foreheadslap.gif

That's why this group is so much more special than the ignorant, unwashed masses. cloud9.gif

Coin guys? confused-smiley-013.gif