• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Anyone collect Starlog Magazines?

8 posts in this topic

The days of Starlog mags being worth much of anything seems to have passed for the time being(they never really hit any huge numbers like Fangoria mind you), if they are high grade I recomend putting them away for awhile and waiting a bit till they get a bit more heat on them which i think they will, amazing reads some of them especially if you are interested in seeing where filmmakers mindsets were in that era. I also highly recomend putting away high grade Fangorias which are also published by Starlog, great reads and a large collector base in the past. I look at Fangos today like everyone looked at Famous Monsters fifteen years ago. Cool, but not cool enough. Now look at the prices, they are really starting to move up. Granted these dont have artists like Frazetta working in them, but the the nostalgia for alot of people is still there. I know it is for me and alot of people I work with.

Fango isssues to grab off the top of my head... 1, 9, 18, 38, 41, 114... Most of these seemed to be harder to grab back when they were worth a few bucks, but they are a song and a dance now, hell, I saw issue 9 for well over two hundred there for awhile back around 1989-90, now I bet you could snatch a high grade copy up for less than 20 bucks easy if not less, I still have a hard time not buying them cheap when I see them. My weakness I guess. Next to famous Monsters these are by far some of the coolest mags around in my opinion, especially if your a film fan. Amazingly cool covers, well written articles and interviews. Good times. I'm getting all misty just thinking about it all...lol

For Starlog, these babies are super cheap and I would wait till you see a high grade run of the first 50 issues and put that away, you'd be shocked at how cheap they are now. Not that Starlog really had any real runaway hit back issues, but the firsst 25 or so have beautiful covers that'll bring you back to that childhood place.

Cinefantastique is also another film mag with a rather interesting and nostalgic following, runs are super ccheap and they have beautiful publishing, some of the best and under rated painted covers around which makes any higher grade copies look stunning in a mylar.

I do hope people catch on to these cool mags, but then again I hope they never catch on so that I can continue to buy them up for pennies, I felt the same way about Famous Monsters and Eerie back in the 90's when everyone laughed at me about buying them. I am pretty happy I did now.

Hope this helps a little

Chris

I forgot you asked about prices for Starlog... 27_laughing.gif

Issue 1 around 10-25 bucks depending on grade, you'd be lucky to get 5-10 for the next twenty five issue or so, but then again you might get lucky. Like I said before, you can buy'em for a song and a dance for the time being. reminds me of picking up copies of early famous monsters in high grade in the ninties for 5 bucks a pop, somtimes even less. Gawd, I miss those days.

Keep in mind to alot of these types of mags have a different collector base as well, based on what movies and stars are on the covers, I know some of the early Star Trek covers brought a bit more in from the Trekkies before the movie and Tv series went tits up. Blade Runner covers did well for a bit there too i remember.

Hope this all helps and thanks for bringing up the topic, wish more did.

If you go on the StarLog site tho... they have some issues that they SELL for a heck of a lot of money.

Issues 1 ($50), 50 ($100), 64 ($200), 90 ($200), 205 ($150), 262 ($100)

Doesn't make a heck of a lot of sense actually.. since they don't go for anywhere near that on eBay.

(I have boxes of Starlogs.)

I've actually gone through and bagged most of my Starlog magazines (distributor/warehouse copies).. and it comes out to over 14 magazine boxes!

Starlog the magazine has a policy that they will not buy any magazines back for their own store and that includes all their sister publications.

I found some of those too.. Apparently, the collector interest for these mags is currently "dormant."

It's a shame too.. Lots of Battlestar Galactica (Original series), Star Wars, Star Trek stuff in there, etc. including posters, schematics, all that stuff.

Reading them really takes you back...