• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Certified by "PopCulture"... the ancestor of CGC ?

9 posts in this topic

I was looking through my stock of comics tonight and found 1 graded comic sealed in a mylar sleeve with a golden stamp.

Have a look:

popcertified3.jpg

popcertified1.jpg

popcertified2.jpg

Anybody got some books like that ?

Do you know if "PopCulture" (doesn't seem to still exist) pre-dated CGC ?

Gotta love the internet archive 'WayBack Machine':

PopCultureCertified.com - 03/07/2005

first archive was made in August of '02 and the last archive for the site is March of '05 (as indicated in the URL). So, doesn't look like it survived too long.

In fact, the home page even linked to this thread on this very forum:

'New Grading Service Pop Culture Certified'

Atleast they let you know what they check for and how each step grades out. The only question I have is: How does the book get an A+ when the highest individual grade is an A? 27_laughing.gif

How does a book get a Fine + or - etc aswell? Schools use A, A+ and A- or they use to. 27_laughing.gif

Oh man, check out this 'Good, Bad, and Ugly of CGC' article on their site from back in 2000:

http://web.archive.org/web/20050206211317/www.teako170.com/cgc.html

There are some choice quotes to be had...

"...it's fine for baseball cards and such (seeing as you can still fully enjoy the 'slabbed' card), but comics are an entirely different matter. If the comics community wishes for comics to be treated as actual reading material as opposed to objects, Then nothing good can come from comic mummification,"

"CGC? I'm all for it. Think of it this way: slabbed comics can't be read. Comics that get slabbed are almost all bogus "collector's items" from recent years. Almost all of said "collector's items" oughtn't be read. It'd be perfect poetic justice to watch all these execrable comic books annihilate themselves in a final spasm of greed," states an anti-CGC comic fan.

"I have zero interest in collectibility. All I care about is reading the comics themselves, so I just don't care about condition. If the book's falling apart, that might be a problem, but I love finding a book in good condition except that someone's written on the cover or something. It lowers the price, without hurting the part I care for."

Obviously this is a propaganda article designed to bolster their own image while insulting CGC as a ridiculous service that no true comic fan would ever bother with.

They never realized that they can't have it both ways. There's no point in grading a comic professionally, and then opening it up to read it again. I mean, not if you want to keep the comic in the grade it's at (this pertains more to HG of course). They were trying to make an argument against 'comic mummification' when all they did was make an argument against professional grading in general and probably hurt their own sales.

Well, I'll give 'em a B+ for effort 27_laughing.gif

Oh man, check out this 'Good, Bad, and Ugly of CGC' article on their site from back in 2000:

http://web.archive.org/web/20050206211317/www.teako170.com/cgc.html

There are some choice quotes to be had...

"...it's fine for baseball cards and such (seeing as you can still fully enjoy the 'slabbed' card), but comics are an entirely different matter. If the comics community wishes for comics to be treated as actual reading material as opposed to objects, Then nothing good can come from comic mummification,"

"CGC? I'm all for it. Think of it this way: slabbed comics can't be read. Comics that get slabbed are almost all bogus "collector's items" from recent years. Almost all of said "collector's items" oughtn't be read. It'd be perfect poetic justice to watch all these execrable comic books annihilate themselves in a final spasm of greed," states an anti-CGC comic fan.

"I have zero interest in collectibility. All I care about is reading the comics themselves, so I just don't care about condition. If the book's falling apart, that might be a problem, but I love finding a book in good condition except that someone's written on the cover or something. It lowers the price, without hurting the part I care for."

Obviously this is a propaganda article designed to bolster their own image while insulting CGC as a ridiculous service that no true comic fan would ever bother with.

They never realized that they can't have it both ways. There's no point in grading a comic professionally, and then opening it up to read it again. I mean, not if you want to keep the comic in the grade it's at (this pertains more to HG of course). They were trying to make an argument against 'comic mummification' when all they did was make an argument against professional grading in general and probably hurt their own sales.

Well, I'll give 'em a B+ for effort 27_laughing.gif

It's funny when I read stuff like that. They act like once a book is encased, it can never be read again. It's simple, if they want ot read it, they can always free it from the slab. To me, CGC and grading companies in general are more needed for HG material or scarcer older books that are very valuable, not the average reader copies. What do these people care, they can still buy all their VG reader beaters off eBay for pretty cheap, so I don't see where any of this affects them.