• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Mylites? New to this idea....

43 posts in this topic

So, lets say most of my books are under $25, if I used Mylite+ and Half Backs in regular size, that would handle from Silver on up? Also, fo more expensive (up to $100), use Mylite 2 and half backs?

If I did this, will I ever have to rebag and board in my lifetime? Second, how do you seal them?

So, lets say most of my books are under $25, if I used Mylite+ and Half Backs in regular size, that would handle from Silver on up? Also, fo more expensive (up to $100), use Mylite 2 and half backs?

If I did this, will I ever have to rebag and board in my lifetime? Second, how do you seal them?

I bought regular Mylites, and they seal like a normal Bag would.

Has the flap and just use tape. There very nice smile.gif

And they are suppose to last 100's of years (so the one LCS told me)

And should never have to be rechanged. Maybe the boards...

If you go with Silver size (7 3/4") they will not fit into a normal long or short box. I have roughly 20-30 longs all with comic books in the regular size (7 1/4") and I have one or two acid free silver/gold boxes that fit my silvers.

Personally I use mylite2's with fullbacks. It is my opinion that the board makes more of a difference than the bag. A strong board will keep the comic book straight and it will not bend overtime.

As far as lasting forever that is hard to determine. I think that a comic put into a mylar and half/fullback will last longer than any of us. The board might loose is neutrality over time though.

I don't care for regular Mylites, they're too thin. Except for some books still stored that way, I put everything into Mylites 2 with half backs. Mytlites+ don't seem bad, but the cost of the Mylites2 isn't that much more.

I'd prefer fullbacks but my budget prefers halfbacks.

I use magic tape to seal them, and always remove it if I'm opening a bag.

At some point, I may move move to the upside down mylar inside another mylar with fullback method for the more precious ones.

I use the silver/gold size for everything, including my Bronze. Its a lot easier. Somebody once was against that, because it allowed for too much "wiggle room," but all of my books are secure and' haven't suffered from "wiggle" damage. I like a bit of room anyway to help prevent the mylar from snagging.

And I'm refering to the E. Gerber bags stocked by ComicSupply. I bought some Bill Cole bags once at the LCS and found them to be a fine product, but made to slightly different sizes than the Gerbers.

I like the mylite 2 with half-backs. I used to get one size bigger, but I now like how snug BA look in regulars. I do use regulars for moderns as I can use them for BA. Don't use tape. Instead, I use the circle labels used for garage sale pricing. The comics in my sig line are the regular and SA mylite 2 with half backs purchased from ComicSupply.

What's the difference between a half-back and full-back board?

I know I'll be asking a lot of questions and buying a bunch of supplies sometime after August when I return and go through my collection.

For now, I stored all my books with SA bags and boards I had bought at my LCS before leaving. I wasn't sure about sizes so I went with the larger SA bags. I don't really like them for my BA books as it gives them too much mobility in the bag. I didn't have the time to change this back then, but will want to update and upgrade when I get back.

Half-Back and Full-Back are the thickness of the boards themselves.

Half-Back - Thin Board

Full-Back - Thick Board

Use comicsupply on the forum boards. Comicsupply uses Gerber products.

Good stuff and cheaper than Bill Cole.

Bags are as follows...

Mylites or Arklites come in 1 mil thickness...

Mylite 2s or Arklite 2s come in 2 mil

then

Regular Mylars are 4 mil.

Rule of thumb for me... Scarcity of the book or any book over $50 goes in Regular Mylar with a Full-Back

The rest in Mylite 2s or Arklite 2s with a Half-Back (The 2 mil Mylite 2s or Arklite 2s are thick enough for me)

I will paypal you 25 cents upon completion.

That goes for anyone else who completes the survey.

25 cents to anyone who completes it (yes in a serious manner, and yes american money)

Ze-

Half-Back and Full-Back are the thickness of the boards themselves.

Half-Back - Thin Board

Full-Back - Thick Board

Thanks, that makes sense. foreheadslap.gif

Half-Backs are thinner (24 mil thickness). About the thickness of the regular cheapo boards you could get at a comic shop. The difference/benefit is that they have a 3% calcium carbonate buffer throughout and maintain a ph of 8.0+, so they are more suitable for long term storage. They are white on both sides.

Full-Backs offer the exact same benefits, except they are nearly twice as thick (42 mil thickness). They do cost more than the Half-Backs, but they are also sturdier and more rigid, so they tend to offer better protection if you want to spring for the added cost.

Full-Backs offer the exact same benefits, except they are nearly twice as thick (42 mil thickness). They do cost more than the Half-Backs, but they are also sturdier and more rigid, so they tend to offer better protection if you want to spring for the added cost.

If you have commons you want to protect but don't want to spend big bucks, get mylite 2 with HB and double up the comics. This will provide more support at an economical price.

The question now relies on you sir. How many books do you own? How well protected are you going to want them. Are you going to keep pulling them in and out of the bags? You have alot to answer for MISTER! thumbsup2.gif

I have say 4000 books, stored in filing cabinets. Will the silvers fit 2 wide? I am thiking 2's with halfbacks for most, and anything more valuable, put in a fullback. I don't know. I have nothing worth more than say $50, so I think halfbacks will be fine.

Now I need to decide on size. Maybe buy a 100 combo of Silver for thicker books, and put everything else in regulars? Advice?

For my moderns I use 1 Mylite and 1 Halfback per 2 comic-books, one on each side of the halfback. I use Regular Size and they're not snug. Enough room for 2 comic-books.

Anyone else do this? Sounds economical for my moderns, yet providing protection.