• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

WW Chicago Question

20 posts in this topic

Decided that I'll be heading south with my beaver and moose this year for my first foray outside of Canada and I was wondering a few questions regarding the con

1, How far is the Stephens convention centre from Wrigley and US Cellular?

2, Looking to buy some low price art in the $250-$500 range, do sellers haggle on art?

3, What's a good amount to plan on bringing to spend? I know this can be a loaded question based on what you are looking for but I'm flying and chances are anything I get I'll be mailing back home.

3, Being my first time in Chicago, what are some of the sites and sounds I should try and cram in? food, bars, strippers, I need the lowdown on it all.

Any help would be appreciated.

Decided that I'll be heading south with my beaver and moose this year for my first foray outside of Canada and I was wondering a few questions regarding the con

1, How far is the Stephens convention centre from Wrigley and US Cellular?

2, Looking to buy some low price art in the $250-$500 range, do sellers haggle on art?

3, What's a good amount to plan on bringing to spend? I know this can be a loaded question based on what you are looking for but I'm flying and chances are anything I get I'll be mailing back home.

3, Being my first time in Chicago, what are some of the sites and sounds I should try and cram in? food, bars, strippers, I need the lowdown on it all.

Any help would be appreciated.

1. The convention center isn't in Chicago, it's in Rosemont, which is a suburb. Wrigley is just down I-90 though. You should be able to do it in half an hour without heavy traffic.

2. Yep. I haggle on everything (surprise, surprise yeahok.gif) unless the purchase is low dollar. Dealers expect it and I consider it half the fun.

3. As much as you can. Trust me, you will NOT find a shortage of things to buy!

4. Food: Johnnies Italian Beef (near the convention), Portillo's (HAVE to go here, best hotdogs in the city, I don't care what others say)

Bars: Depends on what you like. My personal favorite is The Hang Uppe on Elm, near plenty of other bars on Rush and Division.

Strippers: The Admiral sumo.gif

there is a reason why everyone says you rule Andy, good stuff.

Can't beat good hotdogs, I'm also a chicken guy, loves me some chicken.

I'm not going really looking for anything specific, mostly art and some books to fill holes in runs,

speaking of filling holes I'm seriously trying to get the dudes I'm going with to go to peeler bar, since they are both married and 10 years older then me I have my work cut out.

But my main focus is to get a splash page, meet some people and take in a ball game or two, anything after that is just a bonus.

Flying in? Rosemont is right at Ohare Airport.

The Admiral? If you can survive seeing only the top half, Heavenly Bodies is right down the block, and a bit nicer of an area too. 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

Portillo's hot dogs are not the move. Big Beef, dipped, Mozzarella and sweet peppers. hail.gif

Giordano's stuffed pizza is the word.

But I would make Gibson's my first stop.

Make a trip to the Shedd Aquarium and Field Museum. Awesome stuff.

Forgot one thing. If you have time and are around the city for breakfast, check out either Lou Mitchell's (one of my favorite places to eat, period) or Stanley's for a buffet. Last time I was at Stanley's Michael Jordan was at the next table. Notorious celebrity spot.

The Cubs are completely sold out that weekend. Don't forget the Forum Dinner probably Saturday night - has been a spectacular event the past two years. Paging PedigreeMan....

The Cubs are completely sold out that weekend. Don't forget the Forum Dinner probably Saturday night - has been a spectacular event the past two years.

I think I'm still hung over from the last one.

3, Being my first time in Chicago, what are some of the sites and sounds I should try and cram in? food

Best of Chicago [food-wise]

Leona's... The BEST meatball sandwich. They have several locations and deliver to many of the hotels.

Gino's East... The BEST Chicago pizza with several locations including one near the convention center.

3, Being my first time in Chicago, what are some of the sites and sounds I should try and cram in? food

Best of Chicago [food-wise]

Leona's... The BEST meatball sandwich. They have several locations and deliver to many of the hotels.

Gino's East... The BEST Chicago pizza with several locations including one near the convention center.

Sorry dude, but Gino's East sucks. Living on it's past rep. Total tourist trap.

Try Pizzeria Due, Chicago Pizza And Oven Grinder Co., Chicago's Pizza and Pasta, or Bacino's.

http://www.chicagopizzaandovengrinder.com/default.htm

http://www.chicagos-pizza.com/

If you like ribs, try Twin Anchors. Great place, but generally packed to the rafters...

http://www.twinanchorsribs.com/

For Steak you might want to go to Gene and Georgettis, or Lawry's. For Italian, Tuscany is always a winner.

I've been to Pizzeria Due. Gino's is better. poke2.gif

Last time I went to Gino's they were using processed meat. It was some of the worst pizza I have ever had in my life. Just like Al's Italian Beef on Taylor, Gino's is all hype and no substance.

What do you know about pizza anyway, foolish Hoosier? screwy.gifpoke2.gif

The Cubs are completely sold out that weekend. Don't forget the Forum Dinner probably Saturday night - has been a spectacular event the past two years. Paging PedigreeMan....

Yeah that sucks, can always get tickets off ebay and if not, Pedigree and I can talk about Oswalt and his ankle 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

No doubt I'll be at the dinner, I like food and I want to touch Steve's mystical ponytail thumbsup2.gif

Not to be a total discouragement, but WW was sadly lacking last year. Chicago is fun though...

confused.gif Lacking in what way? It was better than San Diego last year.

I've always been told by people who have been to both that if you are going to a major con for the first time then WW Chicago is the best for buyers, everyone I know all says the same, SDCC is massive but very commercial where WW Chicago is the best spot for buyers and to catch your favorite artist. Not sure how long I'll be down for, hoping for atleast 4 if not 5 days. First ever vacation for me EVER.

Dude, Chicago has it all.

Food:

If you like good food, something other than steak, pizzas, dogs, and burgers, I'd suggest Frontera Grill, Avec, Japonais, and if you want to drop a serious bundle, Zealous or Spiaggia.

Strippers:

Admiral or All-Stars grin.gif

And if you want the best female impersonators show you'll ever see, go to Baton. It's campy, fun, and filled with attractive young women because for some reason it's become the "It" place for bachelorette parties.

If you want suggestions for dance clubs, PM me. A buddy of mine is a DJ and owns a house music record label.

Sadly I won't make the show this year frown.gif because Mrs. Rhino and I are heading off to Costa Rica on a dive trip. Please pound down a few for me at the forum dinner and eat a steak as big as your head! yay.gif