• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Golden Age group shot
21 21

9,349 posts in this topic

I agree completely on the scarcity issue. It's one of the (many) things I like about collecting Archies.

Throw in a dollap of nostalgia, and a teaspoon of minimum grade (cost dependent) and there's my Bugs Bunny approach. I do understand the motivation to focus on scarcity. Its one of the reasons I get down on Silver Age on up that have been graded. In almost any grade, its not as if another one won't be available shortly.

Value vs Scarcity I don't use that as much. The obvious here - that value is subjective to yourself. I value the Cartoon books much higher than the market but when I see an All Star 3 vs a Wonder #1 the All Star is easily the more impressive book to me even at the higher cost.

The other reason I don't focus on scarcity is an issue with "one of a kind" items. These are tough to value and to me (an others I think) it loses some excitement because its a loner type collecitble with little sharing appreciation.

I'm not a loner. I'm just waiting for everyone else to catch up. tongue.gif

I'm sure you said that tongue in cheek, but it's really become true with Archie. I remember 20 years ago, no one wanted them. With the exception of Archie 1 and the hero books, they were always obtainable at deep discounts to Overstreet. Now try finding Archie 2 through 6 for less than 2X guide...

My collecting priorities are in this order:

Needed-for-run, kick-butt cover, scarcity, cultural relevance, desirability, #1, key issue, value, condition

That said, here's another group shot... laugh.gif

bluebolts.jpg

Needed-for-run, kick-butt cover, scarcity, cultural relevance, desirability, #1, key issue, value, condition

bluebolts.jpg

hail.gif

bluebolts.jpg

That's the weirdest post I ever saw. 893applaud-thumb.gif

bluebolts.jpg

I couldn't agree more. I almost bolted out of my chair when I saw the pic! wink.gif

bluebolts.jpg

I couldn't agree more. I almost bolted out of my chair when I saw the pic! wink.gif

I could stare at that pic til I was blue in the face!

bluebolts.jpg

What did agro do to deserve all this punishment?

bluebolts.jpg

What did agro do to deserve all this punishment?

I could tell you tales...

Argo23, those are some very cool covers, I love the detail in all of them..especially the last one on the bottom..

Matt, like Lex Luthor said... "It's fantastiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiic, genius,, the structure goes beyond any known architectural theory,.. "

really awesome, I feel sorry for the next generation of collectors who want any Action war covers.. by the time they get around to collecting, we will have sucked them all up. tongue.gif

here's my $.02. My GA DC collection! Going for a full Action run up to 66, in theory, plus some Superman covers I like...

groupshot.jpg

Very nice collection so far. Hey Matt, didn't you have your own thread going where you updated your Action collection as it grew?

Seems like all the Action war cover collectors on this board have an Action 59 ...... except me sorry.gif

Very nice collection so far. Hey Matt, didn't you have your own thread going where you updated your Action collection as it grew?

Seems like all the Action war cover collectors on this board have an Action 59 ...... except me sorry.gif

don't fret Brian, you know that when I upgrade my #59, that it's yours. I'm just keeping it safe for ya.

Edited by thedude

I did, but Real Life has been interfering for the past few months.

re #59- PM sent!

so again, why do some books with a detached centerfold get a Blue label and others a Qualified label ??

I believe if the book is otherwise high grade (like 7.0 or higher) CGC will give the book a Qualified label and not fator the detached centerfold into the grade. In other words, "a nice high grade book except for this ONE defect".

A lower grade book with a detached centerfold will just factor that defect into the grade since there are undoubtedly several other defects present.