• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Golden Age group shot
21 21

9,349 posts in this topic

Just one of those books would be WAAAAAAYYYYY beyond my means!

Honestly, while I certainly acknowledge that those books weren't cheap, compared to high grade silver age Marvel, these books are generally steals. To each his own, or course, but I'd take a 'Tec 1 for under $10,000 a hundred times out of a hundred before I spent that much on a more common book from the 60's whose value is highly dependent on the absence of imperceptible (to me) flaws.

And without being terribly grade-conscious, I'm downright casual about handling the comics. If you come to the Chicago forum dinner, you can read a 'Tec 1. Hell, it's extensively restored anyway, so what's the harm? They're comic books, not Faberge eggs, and I think it's good for the hobby if the so-called "golden age keys" aren't viewed as inaccessible to everyone.

Maybe I'll bring my Action 1 to the forum dinner this time as well (although I have nagging security concerns at the convention itself which may stop me from doing that, as I like to flip through long boxes without worrying about where my bag is). If I do, rest assured that if you're there, you can flip through it. I bet you haven't read the cool Zatara story before.

Honestly, while I certainly acknowledge that those books weren't cheap, compared to high grade silver age Marvel, these books are generally steals. To each his own, or course, but I'd take a 'Tec 1 for under $10,000 a hundred times out of a hundred before I spent that much on a more common book from the 60's

I couldn't agree with you more! thumbsup2.gif

You've got THREE Wonder Comics # 1 ???

I'll happily trade one for Centaurs I'm looking for (see abbreviated want list below).

When dealing with collectors of the very rarest books, I need currency they appreciate.

Cash frequently doesn't cut it.

Great, great group shot of books CentaurMan! I only wish I had a book or two in your want list to offer in trade for a Wonder Comics #1.

I don't mean to hoard (drives me nuts with Metro and the Fantastic #3), so if it ends up that a Wonder Comics #1 trade I'm currently working on falls through, I'll probably offload a copy. I'm drawn to that book like a moth to a flame, but keeping 3 copies is too many, long term.

Honestly, while I certainly acknowledge that those books weren't cheap, compared to high grade silver age Marvel, these books are generally steals. To each his own, or course, but I'd take a 'Tec 1 for under $10,000 a hundred times out of a hundred before I spent that much on a more common book from the 60's whose value is highly dependent on the absence of imperceptible (to me) flaws.

couldn't have said it better myself, I also agree with this way of thinking.

Maybe I'll bring my Action 1 to the forum dinner this time as well.

893whatthe.gif if you do, I get to have my picture taken with it at the forum dinner, although I wouldn't dare flip through it,, I can certainly understand your concerns about security with a book like that, see you in Shytown. cool.gif

Maybe I'll bring my Action 1 to the forum dinner this time as well (although I have nagging security concerns at the convention itself which may stop me from doing that, as I like to flip through long boxes without worrying about where my bag is). If I do, rest assured that if you're there, you can flip through it. I bet you haven't read the cool Zatara story before.

Insert crying graemlin here.....that's the only reason I would read the early Action comics. For the Zatara stories. ARRRRGGGHH!! frustrated.gif

Edited by Timulty

Insert crying graemlin here.....that's the only reason I would read the early Action comics. For the Zatara stories. ARRRRGGGHH!! frustrated.gif

see what you'll be missing ? hi.gif

Who didn't want to be a Magician, when they were a kid? This is probably DC's earliest Magician character(Dr. Occult was more of a super hero). He was killed during Crisis. At that point he had been in back up features almost continually for nigh 50 years. Think of him as the Unsung Hero of the DC Universe!!! grin.gif Oh, yeah he's Zatanna's Daddy. Glad they are bringing him back(of a sort).

And without being terribly grade-conscious, I'm downright casual about handling the comics. If you come to the Chicago forum dinner, you can read a 'Tec 1. Hell, it's extensively restored anyway, so what's the harm? They're comic books, not Faberge eggs, and I think it's good for the hobby if the so-called "golden age keys" aren't viewed as inaccessible to everyone.

893applaud-thumb.gif That's a fantastic attitude!

...you still couldn't pay me to read (or touch) your Action 1 though! 27_laughing.gif

Oh man, I'd love to take my son to the forum dinner just so he would be able to get the chance to hold a real Action #1. He is fascinated by Action #1, keeps asking me questions of that comic. In addition to the coolness about the value of the book, I think he is drawn to the "All Superheroes come from this starting point" aspect. Heck, I'd be blown over holding an Action #1. I'd be sure to bring my camera!

Amazing collection Centaurman. And I completely agree with you opinion that chasing super high grade books is crazy when you can get really nice books a little farther down the grade scale for some much cheaper. I do that to, but, of course, not on the level of books you have.

Please bring it. I know a couple of dealers at the show that I trust implicitly who will be able to hold it for you.

BTW, reason number 12235 to come to the Chicago Forum Dinner. thumbsup2.gif

And Ryan, I absolutely LOVE your collection, small though it is. Fantastic taste, sir!

Thank you , Centaur Man!! High praise coming from someone with a collection like yours ( I can see we have similar collecting tastes, though different collecting budgets)... I am blown away by your photo, with the crazy multiples!! Really wonderful.

Also, like others, I am in absolute agreement about your collecting attitude. Nice to see someone collecting for the love of the ENTIRE book, and someone who appreciates reading the stories.

I am drooling over the A-MAN #5 as I write this... ah, one day...

More great books, Ryan!

Seriously, I didn't mean to pre-empt his shot. I freaking LOVE that collection he's assembling. Lots of tough books in that picture, and right in the sweet spot of what I try to collect. 893applaud-thumb.gif

Centaur Man, you can pre-empt my collection any time you want. hail.gif

Pre-empt away!!!! I hope you will be posting more Centaurs in the form of a group shot. I don't get tired of looking at those books.

I hope you will be posting more Centaurs in the form of a group shot. I don't get tired of looking at those books.

With the help of Andy (a.k.a october, whose assistance has been invaluable), I'll be setting up a series of "group shots" soon. Flessel DCs, pre-Flessel DCs, all sorts of Centaur runs, early Whiz, early King Comics, Silver Streak, etc. It'll be fun.

I hope you will be posting more Centaurs in the form of a group shot. I don't get tired of looking at those books.

With the help of Andy (a.k.a october, whose assistance has been invaluable), I'll be setting up a series of "group shots" soon. Flessel DCs, pre-Flessel DCs, all sorts of Centaur runs, early Whiz, early King Comics, Silver Streak, etc. It'll be fun.

Can't wait! Hopefully we can get it done this weekend. popcorn.gif

Can't wait! Hopefully we can get it done this weekend. popcorn.gif

Hey, why do you get to have all the fun! sumo.gif

[Post directly driven by envy blush.gif ]