• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Golden Age group shot
21 21

9,349 posts in this topic

Venii, venus.jpg if you please.

That's not something you see every day! 893applaud-thumb.gif893applaud-thumb.gif

Wow! Never seen a complete run. All of the covers are great for different reasons, and I love the jarring jumps in genre (try saying that 10 times fast) that the title had in its short life. Many congrats!

Geez Billy, I feel like I'm on another planet looking at that incredible Venus run <swoon>.

Of course, if what I hear about your collection is true, you can totally blow us away with additional group shots... poke2.gif

STEVE

I finally finished a group of books this year that I wanted to complete... a set of the Farrell Giant Size Annuals:

1541915-IMGP2879.jpg

Voodoo Annual is a tough book, particularly in high grade. Almost every copy that I find is around VG, with this one being no exception. This copy came from an original owner in 2004. I almost didn't get it since the USPS temporarily lost it (within my mail facility) for about 2 weeks. I lucked out that someone located it.

I found the Billy Bunny at the Philadelphia show in 2005 by chance in a misc Golden Age box. I'm not even sure that I knew it existed at the time!

I bought both the Fighting Man Annual and G-I In Battle Annual in 2006.

1541915-IMGP2879.jpg.e7ef8cdde7ccd1a01224efd0d518bb98.jpg

Edited by paull

Geez Billy, I feel like I'm on another planet looking at that incredible Venus run <swoon>.

Of course, if what I hear about your collection is true, you can totally blow us away with additional group shots... poke2.gif

STEVE

I've been coaxing him to climb up to his loft library and take a shot from up there of some of the big runs! He'd have to get that high to get them all in one picture! Hopefully this is just the first in a series of pictures. I've looked through his collection many times, but never spread them all out on the floor and gawked.

I finally finished a group of books this year that I wanted to complete... a set of the Farrell Giant Size Annuals:

1541915-IMGP2879.jpg

Voodoo Annual is a tough book, particularly in high grade. Almost every copy that I find is around VG, with this one being no exception. This copy came from an original owner in 2004. I almost didn't get it since the USPS temporarily lost it (within my mail facility) for about 2 weeks. I lucked out that someone located it.

I found the Billy Bunny at the Philadelphia show in 2005 by chance in a misc Golden Age box. I'm not even sure that I knew it existed at the time!

I bought both the Fighting Man Annual and G-I In Battle Annual in 2006.

Nice paull! Love giant size books!

Thanks, guys. Hey Adam, don't you also have a copy of G-I in Battle Annual? I seem to remember someone posting it a while back.

This little old rag? cool.gif

GIBattleAnnual-1.jpg

GIBattleAnnual_back.jpg

I guess my memory isn't as bad as I thought! That book is a beauty! Thanks for posting...

You're welcome.

This is a book that would be on the short bus for a lot of folks so it's nice to meet a fellow afficianado!

Do all of them have a similar back cover?

Yes, all the back covers are similar. Are there four total? I haven't seen mention of any others.

You're right... all but the Voodoo Annual would probably be short bus material (particularly Billy Bunny) for most collectors, but I was thrilled to find each of them. One man's short bus, another's Hummer limosine!

P.S.: If you ever plan on selling your copy, drop me a PM. wink.gif

Edited by paull

Here are some Flash Gordon pages you've probably never seen. In 1942, the German occupants in Belgium censored not only movies from the US but also comic strips. The editors of Bravo, a youth weekly, had to commissioned a local artist to finish the current sequence as they were no longer receiving the strips from the syndicate so not only is this not Raymond's art but it's also not the same ending! The artist was Edgar P. Jacobs, soon to create Blake and Mortimer for Tintin -

Very cool! I've read about that before, I think it was in the Raymond CBM issue, but I've never seen the Belgian strips. He's no Raymond, but he's pretty good.

Venii,... if you please.

Awesome Venus run! 893applaud-thumb.gif

(But the correct the correct plural is "Veneres." Its a 3rd declension noun. gossip.gifpoke2.gif)

I was hoping that someone else would snap at the bait. No way it should end in ii!

Third declension?

Looks more like second (Venus, Venï) or fourth (Venus, Venüs) to me.

[those should be solid bars, not umlauts, but I don't know how to so that on my keyboard]

And it is an awesome Venus run.

Jack

Veni, vidi, Wikipedia