• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Golden Age group shot
21 21

9,349 posts in this topic

[

he was/is an odd duck to be sure. I only dealt with him a few times, and the deals went fine. I friend of mine in Mobile thinks he is the devil incarnate though.

Believe me, your friend is not an exception. I saw a few years he was selling books on ebay - I've never seen a real dealer with so many negs. I think he was eventually NARU'd. makepoint.gif

Your store was in New Orleans, right? Man, I wish I had known about it. I spent a lot of time over in NO when I was a kid.

Yep, the main store was uptown near Tulane and Loyola Universities (it's still there. A friend of mine bought it, but they do not really deal in golden age or silver age anymore), the other store was near the lake by the University of New Orleans. We had a ton of fun in that store and found some amazing books.

Just shy of my two year forum anniversary but, by the number of postings, not that shy.

Here are a few of my favorite things.

GA_group.jpg ::

Bad move. Now you have to post larger scans of the Police, True Crime, Exciting.....aw hell, just post them all.

confused-smiley-013.gif I have. Just thought it might be fun put them all in a group.

Since you asked for the Jack Cole's...

TrueCrime.jpg

Luckily only the scan is trimmed on this copy.

Police25med.jpg

Well, almost all the time when you see writing on these books they were brand new and worth 10 cents. It would be like writing on a new TV Guide or newspaper today and hundreds of years from now people saying they can't believe what we did. 893whatthe.gif

West

It still kills me when you consider how meticulous these OO collectors (Church, Okajima, Crippen, Larson, etc, etc) were in keeping their books in tip top shape and then they decide to write all over them. frown.gif The last thing I would ever consider is to take a pen to my books.

The Larsons were in a barn -- it was neglect that saved them, not care.

The writing on the Church and Larson copies was from the newstand, not those owners. Crippen and Okajima include owner markings that would be typical of the personality that saves and organizes everything. What would you think of a person that saves a copy of every newspaper they get so that it fills a room? These comics OOs are not representatives of "average" people.

Pedigrees, are Freaks of nature. Comics are meant to be read & abused.

They weren't meant to be in excellent condition.. That's why these books are so Awesome !!!!! Nuff said!! That's why we love 'em!! hail.gif

Just shy of my two year forum anniversary but, by the number of postings, not that shy.

GA_group.jpg ::

Very awesome comic grouping!! Does anyone else ever lay their comics out just to see how good they look in a grouping? Well, I guess thats how this thread started.

I love that copy of Amazing Mystery, w/ the Everett cover ... looks to be very nice!! The "True Crime" and "Victory" books are beaut's too...

Re: writing on covers, maybe I'm a minority, but it doesn't bug me ... it's something I kind of expect to see, and to me, it gives the comic some "ownership", and/or individuality. I like to imagine what it must have been like as a kid buying a comic like that.

I have to stop eggnogging and posting ... : crazy.gif

Very awesome comic grouping!! Does anyone else ever lay their comics out just to see how good they look in a grouping? Well, I guess thats how this thread started.

I love that copy of Amazing Mystery, w/ the Everett cover ... looks to be very nice!! The "True Crime" and "Victory" books are beaut's too...

Re: writing on covers, maybe I'm a minority, but it doesn't bug me ... it's something I kind of expect to see, and to me, it gives the comic some "ownership", and/or individuality. I like to imagine what it must have been like as a kid buying a comic like that.

I have to stop eggnogging and posting ... : crazy.gif

I like creating different sets with my books, whether it's by topic, artist, color, publisher and, in fact, purchase books specifically to fill out a set with the right number. I mean, how can you display a set of 5?

As far as distributor marks on the cover, most GA collectors I know actually like them -- even the picky high grade collectors. Not that I would know anything about that.

I had this book out again last weekend. Everett rocks! headbang.gif

AmazMysFunnies2_3.jpg

Very awesome comic grouping!!

Yes it is, Ryan - adamstrange has one of the best set of Eyes in the hobby and he Sees the best qualities in the best books.

I've been off celebrating my 20th Wedding Anniversary (hubba, hubba) and getting ready for Xmas, but here's a group shot (sorry for the flash burn) I wanted to share again (ported over the Martin Nodell RIP thread).

100_1405.jpg

Happy Holidays to one and all!

STEVE

Edited by sacentaur

Very awesome comic grouping!!

Yes it is, Ryan - adamstrange has one of the best set of Eyes in the hobby and he Sees the best qualities in the best books.

I've been off celebrating my 20th Wedding Anniversary (hubba, hubba) and getting ready for Xmas, but here's a group shot I wanted to share again (ported over the Martin Nodell RIP thread).

100_1405.jpg

Happy Holidays to one and all!

STEVE

Happy Holidays to you too Steve. And once again the set of Lanterns is.... 893whatthe.gif

Geez Billy, I feel like I'm on another planet looking at that incredible Venus run .

Of course, if what I hear about your collection is true, you can totally blow us away with additional group shots... poke2.gif

STEVE

I've been coaxing him to climb up to his loft library and take a shot from up there of some of the big runs! He'd have to get that high to get them all in one picture! Hopefully this is just the first in a series of pictures. I've looked through his collection many times, but never spread them all out on the floor and gawked.

you go, girls! girls.jpg

Geez Billy, I feel like I'm on another planet looking at that incredible Venus run <swoon>.

Of course, if what I hear about your collection is true, you can totally blow us away with additional group shots... poke2.gif

STEVE

I've been coaxing him to climb up to his loft library and take a shot from up there of some of the big runs! He'd have to get that high to get them all in one picture! Hopefully this is just the first in a series of pictures. I've looked through his collection many times, but never spread them all out on the floor and gawked.

you go, girls! girls.jpg

the coaxing is stating to work!!!

893applaud-thumb.gif893applaud-thumb.gifhail.gifhail.gif