• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Golden Age group shot
21 21

9,349 posts in this topic

I posted this over in Esquire's ashcan thread, but I thought it might fit in here as well. confused-smiley-013.gif Here's every known GA ashcan title that I could get a scan of. There's about 10 more that I'm working on. Since all of these books will never be together for a group pic, this is the next best thing.

5CentComics9.jpgActionComics9.jpgActionFunnies.jpgAllAmericanComics7.jpgAllAmericanMenofWar.jpg

AllStarComics7.jpgAnimalAntics.jpgBoyCommandosComics.jpgCancelledComicsCavalcade.jpgCommandos.jpg

CrackComics4.jpgCycloneComics6.jpgFlashComicsDC9.jpgFlashComicsFawcett9.jpgFlashComicsFawcett.jpg

GirlsLoveStories.jpgHeadlineComics.jpgHeresHowie.jpgHouseofMystery.jpgIntimateConfessionscopy2.jpg

LeadingComics.jpgMovieCartoons.jpgMovieFables.jpgMovieGems.jpgMysteriousStranger.jpg

MysteryTrail.jpgNickelComics9.jpgOKComics.jpgOldGloryComics.jpgOurMenatWar.jpg

RadioFunnies.jpgRealFactComics.jpgRealScreenFunnies.jpgRedWhiteBlueComics.jpgScreenCartoons.jpg

ScreenComics.jpgScreenFables.jpgScreenFunnies.jpgScreenGems.jpgSlamBangComics.jpg

Spotlight.jpgStarSpangledWarStories.jpgStrangeAdventures.jpgSuperboy9.jpgSupergirl.jpg

SupermanComics9.jpgSuperwoman.jpgThrillComics8.jpgWonderWoman8.jpgWorldsBestComics.jpg

Sort of a "Gerber page that never was but should have been".

Thanks for pulling this together -- I'd be interested when/if you can show the whole group.

Sort of a "Gerber page that never was but should have been".

Thanks for pulling this together -- I'd be interested when/if you can show the whole group.

Thanks. Gerber only has photos of 6 or 7 & I think he calls them "b&w versions". Of course he correctly gives them a scarcity rating of 10.

Almost all of the missing scans are books with only 1 known copy, which hasn't been sold in many years, so I'd pretty much have to get it from the current owner. ( poke2.gif If you're reading this, please contact me).

Great post. I have never seen or even heard of the "Superwoman" ashcan with the More Fun 73 cover. Where did you get that scan?

I only own 12 of the 50 titles, so the rest of the scans came from a few different places: Esquire's website, Moondog's ashcan article in CBM #71, Hake's & many from Heritage (past auctions).

I believe Superwoman came from CBM 71. I'm glad you guys seem to be enjoying them! thumbsup2.gif

That one is called Cancelled Comics Calavcade. There's a good paragraph in the Guide that tells about it. I think it's in the Promotional comics section. If I remember correctly, it's a collection of unused titles/stories that were gathered when DC slimmed down their operations. Moondog has been quite lately, but I'm sure he knows more about it & could explain it better. It's kind of an oddity, even among ashcans.

That one is called Cancelled Comics Calavcade. There's a good paragraph in the Guide that tells about it. I think it's in the Promotional comics section. If I remember correctly, it's a collection of unused titles/stories that were gathered when DC slimmed down their operations. Moondog has been quite lately, but I'm sure he knows more about it & could explain it better. It's kind of an oddity, even among ashcans.

Cancelled Comic Cavalcade was produced as two volumes with the first in the summer of 1978 and the second in the fall of 1978. They contain xeroxed copies of comics which DC cancelled. For copyright purposes only the unpublished art was xeroxed and bound. Only 35 copies were made. They included titles like Black Lightning, Claw, The Deserter, Doorway to Nightmare, Firestorm, The Green Team, Kamandi, Prez, Secret Society of Super Villians, The Vixen, Army at War, Battle Classics, Demand Classics, Dynamic Classics, Mr. Miracle, Ragman, Weird Mystery, and Western Clasics.

Ok, this thread is one of my favorites so lets get it back on the front page! I've just about finished figuring out what books I am keeping in my collection and which I am getting rid of. I will be taking group shots of the books I have decided to keep next week. (I am just waiting on two more packages to arrive)

In the meantime, I thought I'd take a group shot of some of my favorites of the books that I've decided to sell. (Books that I would keep if I could afford to but they just missed the cut)

Sorry in advance that for the low-quality camera!

Groupshot1.jpg

groupshot2.jpg

groupshot3.jpg

Groupshot5.jpg