• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Golden Age group shot
21 21

9,349 posts in this topic

what is that "Is This Tomorrow" cover issue?

it looks like a beautiful cover. thumbsup2.gif

Not a difficult book to find (as they printed a million or so, and in different variations) but quite difficult to obtain in above fine condition. It is generally considered to be the first anti-commie book published.

Is-this-tomorrow.jpg

Some close-ups:

group4.jpg

Flash/Thrill Ashcans cloud9.gifcloud9.gifcloud9.gif

I thought you had two Thrills? Or was I thinking you had two of the three Fawcett ashcans? confused-smiley-013.gif

Thanks for posting these again!

just curious, what is the value of the Thrill Ashcan?

Well, ashcans are those types of books where the value can fluctuate significantly from year to year b/c they are worth what someone wants to pay at that time (which, of course, can refer to any book but even more so for books where only several copies exist) and the customer market is more narrow. Grade is not as important with ashcans as it is with "regular" comic books.

I would estimate the book being "worth" $6,000 - $10,000, but that's my personal opinion.

Mark,

Do you know why Fawcett didn't win the rights to use Flash Comics? Was DC just faster or was it a tie and DC had a better bribe.

Also, really need to work on calling these something else. Ashcan gives the impression that these books are literally falling apart with brittle pages. Just my marketting brain at work.

Ed

just curious, what is the value of the Thrill Ashcan?

Well, ashcans are those types of books where the value can fluctuate significantly from year to year b/c they are worth what someone wants to pay at that time (which, of course, can refer to any book but even more so for books where only several copies exist) and the customer market is more narrow. Grade is not as important with ashcans as it is with "regular" comic books.

I would estimate the book being "worth" $6,000 - $10,000, but that's my personal opinion.

takeit.gifcloud9.gifcloud9.gifcloud9.gif

Mark,

Do you know why Fawcett didn't win the rights to use Flash Comics? Was DC just faster or was it a tie and DC had a better bribe.

Also, really need to work on calling these something else. Ashcan gives the impression that these books are literally falling apart with brittle pages. Just my marketting brain at work.

Ed

As best as we can tell DC simply beat Fawcett to the punch with securing the trademark, or at least issuing the title and Fawcett didn't feel like getting into a legal battle at that stage. Moondog and I continue to research the history of the ashcans (which is actually a very old term so I doubt we can change it at this point!!) but unfortunately much of the original documentation appears to have been destroyed/lost and few people are around who were involved in the process.

I'll give ya $2000. insane.gif I never realized that the Crack ashcan appears to be magazine size.

Mark,

Since you didn't include the More Fun 65 in that group shot (of outstanding books!),

am I to suppose that it is not an important part of your collection?

If that's the case takeit.gif

I'll give ya $2000. insane.gif

tongue.gifpoke2.gif

I never realized that the Crack ashcan appears to be magazine size.

Yep. No clue why. Only ashcan I've seen where the size materially differed from the actual book. Perhaps to deliberately differentiate.

Mark,

Since you didn't include the More Fun 65 in that group shot (of outstanding books!),

am I to suppose that it is not an important part of your collection?

If that's the case takeit.gif

No such luck Richard! The only reason that beauty wasn't in the line of More Funs is that it wasn't the Church copy (which is owned by another board member). Other than the #52, which had to be included and is the Rockford copy, all the others are Churches. Alas, the poor #65 I have, as you know, is a mere 9.0 and has no pedigree designation. frown.gif27_laughing.gif

hi.gif