• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Golden Age group shot
21 21

9,349 posts in this topic

FANTASTIC array of books (worship)

In an attempt to counteract so much gruesomeness, I pulled out the Aww Shucks Brigade -

Thanks everyone for the kind words. It has been alot of fun and work finding all of those books.

Scrooge, I absolutely love Christmas books...and yours are wonderful.

If I ever choose to branch off into another genre, it would probably be holiday books such as these. Seriously...your books bring a smile to my face.

Wrightson fan, those pre-code horror comics are incredible. How do you do it? Are you rich? Been buying them for years? Both??

No....not rich....not even remotely. I have been collecting comics since I was about 7 years old...but didn't really have the funds to start buying nicer books until I was in my early 20's. I have sold a large amount of my other books to fund the purchase of most of these books. I simply shifted gears and started to look for the books that I loved the most which are pre-code horror and crime books. My collection of total books was alot larger 4-5 years ago, but most of those other books have been moved on to other collectors. Some of these are the highest "graded" copies, but I am sure there is a raw copy or two out there to trump most of them....isn't that right adamstrange? lol

Thanks for the kind words. I love showing off my humble collection. I love seeing everyone elses books too. That is why these boards are so great...especially the Golden Age forum.

Scott

Here's my contribution. I had Pogo as one of my priorities for 2009. I just love Walt Kelly's covers and these are charming books. As it happened, I didn't have to wait long. In January an ebay seller listed #1-15 'in VF except for one or two'. Well, I didn't really expect that, but what I got was a lot that ranged from VG (only one, #5) with the rest F+ to VF+. I already had #16 (but have a better one coming from the VCC). But I couldn't wait to show off the group so, without further ado, here is the run of Dell Pogo Possum (still gotta find the two Four Color issues). [blatant plug - selling thread of undercopies coming soon...]

pogo004.jpg

Well...here are my pre-codes.....the family went to Houston for the weekend and I had some free time to do stuff like this. Sorry for the blown up pics. We have a new digital camera and I am still tweaking it. Forgive me this once for making you scroll your screen. :foryou:

Hope you enjoy seeing them all in one post!

Scott

DSC03048.jpg

DSC03056.JPG

DSC03049.JPG

DSC03057.JPG

DSC03051.JPG

DSC03058.JPG

DSC03060.JPG

DSC03055.JPG

DSC03059.JPG

DSC03054.JPG

:o(worship) WOW :o(worship) I love the Kelly Freas cover on Witchcraft #5.

Here's my contribution. I had Pogo as one of my priorities for 2009. I just love Walt Kelly's covers and these are charming books. As it happened, I didn't have to wait long. In January an ebay seller listed #1-15 'in VF except for one or two'. Well, I didn't really expect that, but what I got was a lot that ranged from VG (only one, #5) with the rest F+ to VF+. I already had #16 (but have a better one coming from the VCC). But I couldn't wait to show off the group so, without further ado, here is the run of Dell Pogo Possum (still gotta find the two Four Color issues). [blatant plug - selling thread of undercopies coming soon...]

pogo004.jpg

Great collection! :) Makes me want to get some myself!

Trading is such fun! I recently traded these two books:

torch1slabbed.jpg

allstar3slabbed.jpg

For this group of books. I am quite pleased with the deals. This was a multi-team trade comprised of me, Billy Parker, Mr. Bedrock

and Agro23. There was some cash in the deal too and Gator and Mr. Bedrock/Dave Kapelka got most of that. Still have some of the

cash left to secure something/somethings else

tradegroup.jpg

:gossip: That's the wrong torch. I WISH it was the 6.0. Of course if that's the one you MEANT to trade me, I'll gladly mail back the 4.0 to swap! lol

Actually, that was the one Bill started with. Parker upgraded into that and gave Bill the 4.0 and the Batman 11. Then Bill parlayed the 4.0 Torch 1 into the books you sent him.

He is a trading machine.

What would be interesting would be to see what these get traded for, and how big the pile will be ten years from now!

:gossip: That's the wrong torch. I WISH it was the 6.0. Of course if that's the one you MEANT to trade me, I'll gladly mail back the 4.0 to swap! lol

Actually, that was the one Bill started with. Parker upgraded into that and gave Bill the 4.0 and the Batman 11. Then Bill parlayed the 4.0 Torch 1 into the books you sent him.

He is a trading machine.

What would be interesting would be to see what these get traded for, and how big the pile will be ten years from now!

Too bad there's no way to radio tag a book like a whale in the wild so you can follow it on migration! lol

Trading is such fun! I recently traded these two books:

torch1slabbed.jpg

allstar3slabbed.jpg

For this group of books. I am quite pleased with the deals. This was a multi-team trade comprised of me, Billy Parker, Mr. Bedrock

and Agro23. There was some cash in the deal too and Gator and Mr. Bedrock/Dave Kapelka got most of that. Still have some of the

cash left to secure something/somethings else

tradegroup.jpg

Get that SA Captain America out of there. :baiting:

He is a trading machine.

lol

Or maybe I will trade them all for one particular book hm

He is a trading machine.

What would be interesting would be to see what these get traded for,

A red paper clip? (shrug)