• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Golden Age group shot
21 21

9,349 posts in this topic

Here is a few group shots of my Famous Funnies collection, the first 3 photos are my slabbed and registered, quite a few are "highest graded". The challenge has been just locating some issues in any grade at times. The last 3 photos are my 44 raw books I can't afford to slab just yet.

Picture009.jpg

Picture008.jpgPicture007.jpg

Picture004.jpgPicture005.jpg

Picture006.jpg

Great collection of Famous Funnies JD :applause:

I've always been fond of those books

Thanks, it's been a most challenging thus far.

I gave up a couple years ago. I was just trying to get 1 - 100, but lost steam and sold most of them. I still have a few, but not many.

However, a friend has them all and has promised that one day, they will be mine.

:wishluck:

What marvelous group shots!!! :applause:

5561282127_005f868e6c_z.jpg

I gave up a couple years ago. I was just trying to get 1 - 100, but lost steam and sold most of them. I still have a few, but not many.

However, a friend has them all and has promised that one day, they will be mine.

:wishluck:

under copies? :wishluck:

The #1 is missing the centerfold, but I have a coverless copy where I could marry the centerfold. #2 is a nice 4.5/5.0 white pages. #7 is low grade, the pages are weak. #18 is 2.5 white pages (bit low for the run). Dont have plans to get them graded.

Not sure if I posted this photo when this thread first started. Just part of what I discovered the day I walked into room where I first saw the Windy City collection...

Gary084.jpg

Very nice!!!

Here is a few group shots of my Famous Funnies collection, the first 3 photos are my slabbed and registered, quite a few are "highest graded". The challenge has been just locating some issues in any grade at times. The last 3 photos are my 44 raw books I can't afford to slab just yet.

Picture009.jpg

Picture008.jpgPicture007.jpg

Picture004.jpgPicture005.jpg

Picture006.jpg

Great collection of Famous Funnies JD :applause:

I've always been fond of those books

Thanks, it's been a most challenging thus far.

[/quote

Great books!!!

Not sure if I posted this photo when this thread first started. Just part of what I discovered the day I walked into room where I first saw the Windy City collection...

Gary084.jpg

Very nice!!!

Indeed! :golfclap:

Gary084.jpg

I'm sure I've asked this before Gary, and you've probably told me, but what was the Tec 1 like?

what was the Tec 1 like?

I'm sure the same as all of them...a pretty cool cover and the stories are so-so.

Gary084.jpg

Nicest Famous Funnies #1 I have ever seen and rightfully poised in the center of this group shot (worship)

what was the Tec 1 like?

I'm sure the same as all of them...a pretty cool cover and the stories are so-so.

lol

It was the nicest copy I've ever seen slabbed or raw.

My notes state:

FINE. Dings at top and bottom of spine (not from handling but from the printing process); slight shadow on cover (along open edge); interior browning (normal C/OW Windy City page quality).

I graded all the Windy City's very strictly. By today's standards I believe the book is a 7.5 or maybe even an 8.0. I wish I knew who owned it. There are two 6.5 copies in the census (highest graded), so it's possible that one of those is the WC, but I'd be surprised. The cover was bright and glossy and flat with no creases or problems.

More original Windy Citys. Can you believe that I had all these books in my home for nearly a year - counting every page while grading each book - before the owner decided to sell them to me. I felt a connection to them that's hard to explain.

Gary088.jpg

More original Windy Citys. Can you believe that I had all these books in my home for nearly a year - counting every page while grading each book - before the owner decided to sell them to me. I felt a connection to them that's hard to explain.

Gary088.jpg

I completely understand that connection. I sometimes get the same feeling with certain collections I've obtained. Ultimately, when they sell, it is depressing. I've been slow to list the large batch I got weekend before last, as I've grown attached to many of them lol

But, sooner or later, maybe at Pons Con I'll make most of them available. I might sell some before then though, because, after all, I can't afford to keep them all.

Here is my attempt of a WW run from 1 to 25. Only need two more issues, 4 & 6.

wwgroup.jpg

One and a half years later, I finally got my run completed from 1 to 25.

WWgroup-1.jpg

:applause: