• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

xmen 94 cgc 9.8 sold for $25 000

82 posts in this topic

In that case PM me, because I have a bunch of books that would make great investments. devil.gifpoke2.gif

Hey, I saw him first. 893naughty-thumb.gif

Actually JC, I really do wish you'd get some of you BA books graded. I'm always in the market for nice 9.8 BA books.

I don't get it. You say the hobby is doomed, but yet you're sitting on your books. Move em now while you still got people like me willing to buy them I say. grin.gif

I don't get it. You say the hobby is doomed, but yet you're sitting on your books. Move em now while you still got people like me willing to buy them I say. grin.gif

Hey, I agree, and have stated before that the exact moment I decide to get my comics graded, the Great Crash is right around the corner. insane.gif

I collected everything as a kid, continued to buy and accumulate slowly as time went by, and kept *everything* I bought. I also buy smart because I refuse to bet into "hot trends" and buy only what I like, and buy where they ain't.

Then again, I have no such luck on the selling side, and due to a) not needing the money, b) not needing the money and c) the time and effort involved in selling, I've let crazy sales opportunities pass me by.

I still have quite a few Wayne Gretzky rookies, that I was going to sell during the Crazy PSA Daze, but never got around to, and now values are about 25-30% of that time, and much less for the other rookies and key cards. Sure, I could sell them now, but knowing the $$$ I lost by waiting, they are worth more to keep as mementos.

That's not even counting that OPC Premier stupidity, where I lucked into some ultra-cheap boxes at a K-Mart (just luck, as I never collected cards since the mid-80's) and then never sent in my stacks of Jagr, Mogilny, Federov, etc. I just didn't feel the financial pressure to get them all graded.... now they're basically worthless. foreheadslap.gif

It's the same with comics. I have no need to sell them, so I don't. confused-smiley-013.gif

Once values tumble and the speculators take off, I will regret not taking the money while it was there but that's just the kind of collector I am. Great at buying and predicting future trends, but not interested or motivated in making use of them on the selling side of things.

Hey, I agree, and have stated before that the exact moment I decide to get my comics graded, the Great Crash is right around the corner. insane.gif

I collected everything as a kid, continued to buy and accumulate slowly as time went by, and kept *everything* I bought. I also buy smart because I refuse to bet into "hot trends" and buy only what I like, and buy where they ain't.

Then again, I have no such luck on the selling side, and due to a) not needing the money, b) not needing the money and c) the time and effort involved in selling, I've let crazy sales opportunities pass me by.

I still have quite a few Wayne Gretzky rookies, that I was going to sell during the Crazy PSA Daze, but never got around to, and now values are about 25-30% of that time, and much less for the other rookies and key cards. Sure, I could sell them now, but knowing the $$$ I lost by waiting, they are worth more to keep as mementos.

That's not even counting that OPC Premier stupidity, where I lucked into some ultra-cheap boxes at a K-Mart (just luck, as I never collected cards since the mid-80's) and then never sent in my stacks of Jagr, Mogilny, Federov, etc. I just didn't feel the financial pressure to get them all graded.... now they're basically worthless. foreheadslap.gif

It's the same with comics. I have no need to sell them, so I don't. confused-smiley-013.gif

Once values tumble and the speculators take off, I will regret not taking the money while it was there but that's just the kind of collector I am. Great at buying and predicting future trends, but not interested or motivated in making use of them on the selling side of things.

You guys (not necessarily Joe) might be surprised at the number of collectors just like this - myself included to a degree. I'm only now getting some of my BA books graded, with the intention of selling off any 9.8s i can get crazy money for.

Ya know I'll chime in and agree with JC here. Funny I have somewhere between 8-10 Gretz rookies as well lol.

But same thing goes for comics, so many times I've seen a BA book go for silly money and I think, wow I have a few of those that I bought back in the day off Doug Sulipa - pretty sure they would grade at, or close to what book X,Y, or Z just sold for. But I can't be bothered to send it in and put it up. I'm not a hoarder either, I fully appreciate that I missed the boat here and there and that book XYZ may never approach that value again. While I have just recently begun to sell off bits and peices here and there, I still buy 95% more than I sell - thats just the mode I've been in for that last 25 years lol.

I still fully believe that CGC is 90% a sellers tool and that the Census for a vast majority of books is really the tip of the ice berg. Again to quote my fav phrase from a collector I know. "Why would I want to get my ASM 1 or FF1 graded? I know they are both between VF and VF/NM. Why would I pay someone more money than I paid for the actual books, to tell me something about the books I already know???"

So we should call this thread the "George Castanza".

Bob what the 893censored-thumb.gif are you doing wasting your time on this message board for?? You should be out there right now doing everything in your power to find out who the buyer was - I mean at that price you gotta think there's something in your inventory he could over pay for wink.gif

That's not even counting that OPC Premier stupidity, where I lucked into some ultra-cheap boxes at a K-Mart (just luck, as I never collected cards since the mid-80's) and then never sent in my stacks of Jagr, Mogilny, Federov, etc.

just a little "correction" of sorts that doesn't detract from your main point at all.

i'm *pretty* sure fedorov wasn't featured in OPC premier. i think his only 1990-91 card was the OPC soviet card. (?)

as for selling sports cards.... yeah - i wish i was on that boat...

That's not even counting that OPC Premier stupidity, where I lucked into some ultra-cheap boxes at a K-Mart (just luck, as I never collected cards since the mid-80's) and then never sent in my stacks of Jagr, Mogilny, Federov, etc.

just a little "correction" of sorts that doesn't detract from your main point at all.

i'm *pretty* sure fedorov wasn't featured in OPC premier. i think his only 1990-91 card was the OPC soviet card. (?)

as for selling sports cards.... yeah - i wish i was on that boat...

He had one.

all this stuff makes me laugh...everytime a record price is realized people on the forums here usually say..."Must be a pressed copy" or "Must be an Ewert copy" it's like the fox and the grapes. Then it goes on for 20 pages of BS..Yes 20K for a X-Men 94 9.8 is crazy,I would never pay it,but glad it's not you either.Let someone else have the headache,or the buyer's remorse (if any)

all this stuff makes me laugh...everytime a record price is realized people on the forums here usually say..."Must be a pressed copy" or "Must be an Ewert copy"

Funny, but I only see the latter example when it IS a Ewert copy. 893scratchchin-thumb.gif