• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Badly Trimmed, or bad scanner???

22 posts in this topic

I haven't seen an example of a trimmed book, but I must this looks like a trimmed copy. I think you are talking about the bottom edge. That looks like it is an altered scan too. On the left side you can see the scanner but not on the right....umm... someone's getting shafted up the poo poo!

-Jeremy-

this looks like a trimmed copy

893scratchchin-thumb.gif Or maybe a miscut copy. Notice how the left and right are straight and parallel to each other and at about a 90 degree angle to the base. But also notice the top and bottom are also parallel to each other but badly angled. So it isn't so much a rectangle but a trapezoid.

Definite trim job. There is the same distance from "world's greatest comics" to the top as usual books, and on almost every copy I have checked you see much more of Watcher's right sandal. @ 1-2/16ths on an angle. color touch too. 5.5..... tops.

I have to disagree on three counts:

First the scan is too small for any real detail to be gleaned, especially a color touch.

Second, both sandals show about the same amount give or take a bit from a number of FF48 scans currently up on ebay.

Check the sandals on this CGC blue label

Third, the relative continuity of the top and bottom edge indicate a miscut more than a trim.

Oh, Chrisco - that dark spot under the issue number is the IND logo.

But I will say this - absolutely nothing can be definitely determined from that scan, pro or con.

Damn POV with his logical thinking! 893applaud-thumb.gif

Thanks Greggy. And thanks for not mentioning the two typos I made that I went back and edited out. blush.gif

Oh...your typos are so prevalent that it's not worth mentioning except the ones that totally change the meaning of your sentence like the infamous "God call hammer" one! 893naughty-thumb.gif

In my opinion a mis-cut book has to be totally out of alignment, this is not the case with this one. The left and right sides look pretty stright yet the top looks slightly out and the bottom looks about 30% out! If it were mis-cut then it would all be 30% out, as it's only one side, I'd say a definate trimming. (and IMHO, the mis-cutting is heading upwards looking at the title, but the bottom is heading downwards!). goodevil.gif

Could be God screwing with your perspective to test your faith, Job!!!! laugh.gif You know, the Good Lord sure does like his humor when it pertains to the subject of comics and trimmin's. Pov???? Oh POOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOV....could you please explain to Kevin how this perspective thing works? Than-Kew! acclaim.gif

Without actually measuring the book, I would say it is not trimmed but a mis-cut. As already mentioned, look a the over hang or over flash of the top of the book, I think that accounts for the trimmed appearance at the bottom. But a, as everyone knows, this is very difficult to determine from a scan.

Tomega

In my opinion a mis-cut book has to be totally out of alignment, this is not the case with this one. The left and right sides look pretty stright yet the top looks slightly out and the bottom looks about 30% out! If it were mis-cut then it would all be 30% out, as it's only one side, I'd say a definate trimming. (and IMHO, the mis-cutting is heading upwards looking at the title, but the bottom is heading downwards!). goodevil.gif

That assumes all the cuts occur in the same step with the same cutter, which may or may not have been the case in early 1966 at Marvel's printer. Even if they did cut the books in a single step like that, and from what I've heard they didn't, there's no guarantee that every book was cut with exactly the same process; machines break down, processes change and/or improve, and print runs may have been moved from one line to another. That's the main reason I have more trouble with trims than anything else; I can usually tell when a book IS trimmed using certain techniques, but it's much harder to say with 100% assurance that a book ISN'T trimmed. And from a scan, poverty is right...very hard to say one way or the other.